Page 93 of 143 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495103 ... LastLast
    Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Since last posting here I discovered the gear shift on my old mountain bike had stopped working, locking me out of top gear. Being a bloke the failure of this five quid plastic mechanism gave me the perfect excuse to replace the whole bike with a new hybrid. Bought a Bianchi Camaleonte 2 under my work cyclescheme system so its a total bargain and a lovely bike to boot, I can cycle a lot quicker and now try to cycle to work twice a week. I also bung a childseat onto the bike and take my 2 year old son for trips which is great for both of us, a fantastic extra work out for me and a great ride for him.

I've also entered myself into a half marathon but my training isn't going so well since I've got Iliotibial tract syndrome. When my knee doesn't hurt I do two 10-12 km runs a week and my times average at just over five minutes per kilometre but I'm not sure my knee will hold out for the full 20km...

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    Since you mentioned a lot of cycling, here's a trick that can help work your calf muscles more at the same time. Simply move your feet back on the pedals so the foot forward of the ball is on the pedal. You'll use a lot more calf muscle in that position, though it may overall hurt your pace if you are riding hard. I've noticed this just moving my feet around to give the sore areas a break.
    Another reason not to use the clippy shoes! I probably do this less consciously than I change hand positions every few minutes.

My local biking forum is full of rants about people not paying attention on bikes or on foot. There's a lot of city street commuting with a whole special section of gripes for people not following traffic signals, blocking other cyclists and pulling ahead of a line of bikes at intersections (now known as 'shoaling'). Basically the things that would get someone driving a car in big trouble. I usually go shopping once a week and ride home through the city rather than along the lake and can see why it would be a cause for rage if that's what you have to deal with every day.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    Another reason not to use the clippy shoes! I probably do this less consciously than I change hand positions every few minutes.
    Or use clipless pedals, good stiff sole cycling shoes and learn how proper pedaling technique, you get more power, more time on the bike and workout for more muscles when pulling up the pedal.

Speaking of pedaling, I haven't touched my bikes since Saturday when pulled something in my back while doing maintenance on the mountain bike. Had to take two days off work and been eating pain killers the whole week. Fortunately it's getting better, yesterday I even managed to tie my shoe laces while standing.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    Or use clipless pedals, good stiff sole cycling shoes and learn how proper pedaling technique, you get more power, more time on the bike and workout for more muscles when pulling up the pedal.
    Hope you're feeling better. I've really considered ordering a stand to hold my bike off the ground so I wouldn't be bent over or sitting on the floor when doing any kind of cleaning or work.

I refuse to call those shoes clipless because they have clips built into them, so I call them clippys. And without them I've still spent plenty of time on the bike, even on terrible days like this:

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    They aren't clips, they are locking mechanisms. I used to have clips and straps in my first mtb, but I soon switched to clipless and strapless.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 669 Times in 467 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi

Speaking of pedaling, I haven't touched my bikes since Saturday when pulled something in my back while doing maintenance on the mountain bike. Had to take two days off work and been eating pain killers the whole week. Fortunately it's getting better, yesterday I even managed to tie my shoe laces while standing.
    Being it's been many years since I've ridden a bike with clips and straps, and I've never ridden clipless, I can't deny that it would give more efficiency using more leg muscles. I'm not sure I would like them, since they isolate the area of foot contact and many people have more foot pain due to that.

Be careful with your back. I've had some back issues for years now and it isn't fun. I do certain stretches and exercises to minimize the chance of problems, but they can still happen. Usually when doing something unusual like your case. I've had a couple times that it got so bad that almost anything would send my lower back muscles into massive spasms.... not fun at all.

I've been off the bike for a few days doing some maintenance and repairs. I may have a bottom bracket problem that will put it out of commission for a while... hoping not.

Liked 573 Times in 208 Posts
    Just been and done another mountain bike orienteering event in the Scottish Borders. I stupidly (stupidly!) offered to help lay out some of the controls last night for the second event tomorrow - unfortunately got a bit lost and only got one of the six done last night, so spent another 4 hours today getting them done, sadly I finished about 30 minutes before starting the five hour event today Was totally knackered (its a technical term ) and again chose an uphill route to start with, I should have turned around and given up but (stupidly ) continued to plod on and got lost when a track petered out through a field - very annoying!! So sat down for a bit and ate more than a few chocolate caramel digestives (my favourite!) and summoned a bit of energy to push uphill round the edge of a forest and got back to the finish with ten minutes to spare. Am heading home now as my weary legs have no chance of getting me round tomorrow.

Gutted as I've been looking forward to this one for a while.

I did however go (rather slowly) over a black route this morning which I was quite pleased with. I was even more pleased that there wasn't anybody around to see me fall off First time I've hit the deck with the bike, could see it happening but couldn't avoid - glad I had my full face helmet on as the scrapes on the chin part would've been painful I'm sure!

Will go back to Glentress as I really enjoyed it, but think I will avoid any sort of competitive cycling from now on...
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Just barely shy of 380 miles (610 km) for the month, with all but a few on the bike. A few walking and one walk/jog pushing the bike with a flat tire.

Fat tired, beat up, slightly bent mountain bike.

I'm going to have to at least find some solid rims for this thing or it will be out of commission in a couple more months of riding... if I'm lucky. With the days getting shorter will have to find a decent light as well, as the old one I have is crap. I can live without more ratios and overall better gear for now. Besides, when I pass someone on a bike worth $1000 or more it makes me smile knowing that money can't buy fitness.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Did the Durham Big Ride today. Not long at 25 miles but half of it on gravel path. I don't often take my road bike on gravel but it went well. Speeds of often 25mph as I was chasing down the guy in front.

There were lots of people doing the ride but only a handful on road bikes. At the start ended up getting bested by an 8 year old. But in the end I was the first to complete the course.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Did the Durham Big Ride today. Not long at 25 miles but half of it on gravel path. I don't often take my road bike on gravel but it went well. Speeds of often 25mph as I was chasing down the guy in front.

There were lots of people doing the ride but only a handful on road bikes. At the start ended up getting bested by an 8 year old. But in the end I was the first to complete the course.
    Just make sure to enter the adult class next time. Soon the kids will be questioning the side and facial hair of you being in the 13 and under class!

I would imagine that those small road tires are a bit shaky on gravel. What kind of pace did you end up with?

And for those not yet motivated, here is an angle to try.

5 fitness apps from off the beaten path | 5 fitness apps from off the beaten path - Yahoo!

Off the beaten path fitness apps! Run from zombies, try hypnosis, be shamed into going to the gym, or earn the love of an anime character! I'm not quite sure the angle of the daily butt workout, other than maybe you are supposed to enjoy the view?

The gym shamer is funny, it uses social media to broadcast your fails. Classic!