Page 54 of 143 FirstFirst ... 444525354555664104 ... LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Looks good!
    It is different and you will like it.
    Most important thing is to find a good stance on it as soon as possible. Also lots of flexibility can help, so start doing some stretching exercises on a daily basis.
    Very different yes! I've found a couple of issues with it, having only ridden it 20 miles.

Firstly I'm finding it really difficult riding on the hoods, my arms are really stretched out - think trying to reach for a cup which is too far away. As a result gripping the ends of the hoods is painful for my hands and elbows, as is braking. I'm considering swapping the 90mm 7deg stem for a 75mm 17deg stem which should bring the lot 2cm closer, but it's a minefield to say the least, everyone seems to have a different opinion!

Braking; everyone has said brakes on a road bike are terrible - they weren't wrong! Coming down a very slight incline towards a roundabout and I was like ok, brake, brake! BRAKE!!!!, I was braking from ages out and hardly got slowed down, I hate to think if I was coming down a hill at 30mph and someone pulled out..
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    she can't make it downstairs yet, fortunately
    Keeping her locked up in the upper tower...? :
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    ...Braking; everyone has said brakes on a road bike are terrible - they weren't wrong! Coming down a very slight incline towards a roundabout and I was like ok, brake, brake! BRAKE!!!!, I was braking from ages out and hardly got slowed down, I hate to think if I was coming down a hill at 30mph and someone pulled out..
    Road bikes are typically equipped with “V” type brakes which don’t have the same stopping power as disc or side-pulls found on mountain bikes. The trade-off for V-brakes is light weight and aerodynamics .

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Road bikes are typically equipped with “V” type brakes which don’t have the same stopping power as disc or side-pulls found on mountain bikes. The trade-off for V-brakes is light weight and aerodynamics .
    Actually, the most common(cheap) brakes in mtb's are called v-brakes and side pull brakes are more common with road bikes.

There are some good brakes for road bikes, apparently, mine aren't even close. I dobt I have ever gotten the rear wheel completely locked on tarmac.
    My next commute bike will most like be a cyclocross bike with disc brakes, with skinny wheels in the summer and studded thingies in winter it will be easier to commute than with my current bikes.

It's been unusually cold for the last few weeks, especially during the night. I'm not hardcore enough to ride to work when it's -15C.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    Actually, the most common(cheap) brakes in mtb's are called v-brakes and side pull brakes are more common with road bikes.
    Thanks for the clarification. It’s been a while since I’ve sourced any components for my (aging ) mountain bike. It’s equipped with, what I think are called, linear brakes.

I too am waiting for warmer weather and for the snow to melt

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Linear pull is the same a v-brake(which was Shimano's maketing name for them) The Finnish translation for direct pull never really caught on here, they are always called the equivalent of v-brakes.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin
    My old bike had linear pull brakes. This one has dual-pivot brakes.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Braking; everyone has said brakes on a road bike are terrible - they weren't wrong! Coming down a very slight incline towards a roundabout and I was like ok, brake, brake! BRAKE!!!!, I was braking from ages out and hardly got slowed down, I hate to think if I was coming down a hill at 30mph and someone pulled out..
    Meh, you get used to it. Luckily you only have one bike. Try going from a road bike to disc brakes on a mountain bike. For me that usually translates to locking up on my mountain bike as I forget my brakes will actually work. Varying degrees of bruising and pain often ensues.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Very different yes! I've found a couple of issues with it, having only ridden it 20 miles.

Firstly I'm finding it really difficult riding on the hoods, my arms are really stretched out - think trying to reach for a cup which is too far away. As a result gripping the ends of the hoods is painful for my hands and elbows, as is braking. I'm considering swapping the 90mm 7deg stem for a 75mm 17deg stem which should bring the lot 2cm closer, but it's a minefield to say the least, everyone seems to have a different opinion!
    Mark, what's your inseam length and what size frame did you get?
    Swapping the stem can help you with the reach for the hoods, the 17 degrees rise will also help a bit especially if you back is also under pressure.
    You can also consider swapping the handlebar for one with shorter reach. What kind of handlebars you've got? Do you have the specs (reach and drop)?

I have set up my new bike with a 75mm stem and with a Shimano Pro PLT handlebar with 65 mm reach and only 125mm drop.

Did your bike store help you find the right fit and size before you ordered the bike? They should have done it cause a bad fitting bike is a real pain in the rear.

What make of brakes you've got? 105s or Ultegras?
    While generally more expensive brake calipers like Dura Ace are stiffer and as such more effective, the biggest difference will be made by the brake pads, so before doing anything else I would try out different brake pads, SwissStop makes some good ones, check with you local bike store for a set adapted to you rims.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Mark, what's your inseam length and what size frame did you get?
    Swapping the stem can help you with the reach for the hoods, the 17 degrees rise will also help a bit especially if you back is also under pressure.
    You can also consider swapping the handlebar for one with shorter reach. What kind of handlebars you've got? Do you have the specs (reach and drop)?
    It's a Bontrager Race VR-C (I think the C standing for compact drop)

What make of brakes you've got? 105s or Ultegras?
    While generally more expensive brake calipers like Dura Ace are stiffer and as such more effective, the biggest difference will be made by the brake pads, so before doing anything else I would try out different brake pads, SwissStop makes some good ones, check with you local bike store for a set adapted to you rims.
    I don't have branded brakes, just "Bontrager approved" which could be anything but probably Tektro. I've ordered some Ultegra pads, hopefully they will help.