Page 4 of 143 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GloomyDay
    Taz, I bought Superfeet today. I just need them for my dress shoes.
    Walking around in those things made my feet ACHE!
    When I run my running shoes offer enough stability/cushion for the long hauls.
    Did you take the inserts out of the shoes before you put in the Supers'?
    They shouldn't be uncomfortable at all. You can't use them in shoes that don't have inserts,
    and you should definately be using them in your running shoes
    Make sure you have the the hard plastic heel pieces in the correct shoe.
    They look like the left should be the right and vise versa. They are marked on the bottom L/R
    (you have to look closely) otherwise you would swear they should go the other way!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    I'd like to put on 2 stone, preferably muscle over fat . Any suggestions?
    Seriously?
    Besides the diet (and I know you're smart enough to know where you're going wrong there!) can I suggest you try gentle stuff rather than going hell for leather in a gym? Walking, carrying loads while strolling about (leg weights if you're wearing flares : ) and things like that have made me athletic-shaped yet not too much so. Put weight on me in the right way and right places, if you know what I mean.

Digging in the garden's about the best toning exercise I can think of after horse riding and sex. I'm very, very toned
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazell B
    I'm able to get a little over 35kg over my head and I'm a 5' 2", less than 9 stone, 41 year old woman who smokes! It's not weight lifting for fun, it's part of my general work, too. Never tried to push myself at weights as women have rubbish upper body strength and I'd end up feeling weak next to men :
    35 kg in that exercise is quite a good result for a woman, I have seen men struggle with a lesser weight.

Women have crappy upper body strength compared to men because men continously work out their chest and shoulders ( I mean, if some guy walks in the gym for the first time, he will most likely try bench pressing as the first exercise), whereas in all my years at various gyms, I have encountered very few women who do that

I may be the only person here who wants to put on weight. I'm 6feet3 and weigh 150 pounds, so I believe my BMI is 18.75 which means i'm underweight.
    I never miss a meal, I hardly get any exercise (although I have a standing up job) and I'm a weekend binge drinker.

I'd like to put on 2 stone, preferably muscle over fat . Any suggestions?
    Join the gym. When I first joined a gym ages ago, I put on weight very quickly and it was not fat. But I never was as light as you to begin with anyway.

Being 150 pounds at that height - doesnt the wind knock you over?
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    35 kg in that exercise is quite a good result for a woman, I have seen men struggle with a lesser weight.

Women have crappy upper body strength compared to men because men continously work out their chest and shoulders ( I mean, if some guy walks in the gym for the first time, he will most likely try bench pressing as the first exercise), whereas in all my years at various gyms, I have encountered very few women who do that

Join the gym. When I first joined a gym ages ago, I put on weight very quickly and it was not fat. But I never was as light as you to begin with anyway.

Being 150 pounds at that height - doesnt the wind knock you over?
    I've started using weights at home, and yes, the wind does blow me over
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Have you tried drinking those protein shakes that you see in health shops?
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    Have you tried drinking those protein shakes that you see in health shops?
    No. I have a friend who was a similar size to me and wanted to gain weight before he joined the Army. He tried to use those protein shakes and they did nothing.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No. I have a friend who was a similar size to me and wanted to gain weight before he joined the Army. He tried to use those protein shakes and they did nothing.
    1) Eat more red meat & proteins. Just make sure that you're grilling the meat rather than using a frying pan.

2) Start lifting weights. Lift heavy and lift hard!

3) Limit alcohol consumption - not because of caloric content but because your body becomes dehydrated when you drink too much.

4) Run short distances, but at a fast pace. This will help you develop heavier muscle and cut down on fat.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY

But not at the beginning, or you will rape your joints.

The key is starting with more repetitions, so that you perfect your technique and your body gets used to weights and then slowly increase the weight you exercise with and lower the amount of reps you do.
    3 or 4 series is fine, if one targets mass gain, then around 8 reps per series would be suitable.
    "signature room for rent"

Quote Originally Posted by gloomyDAY
    1) Eat more red meat & proteins. Just make sure that you're grilling the meat rather than using a frying pan.

3) Limit alcohol consumption - not because of caloric content but because your body becomes dehydrated when you drink too much.

4) Run short distances, but at a fast pace. This will help you develop heavier muscle and cut down on fat.
    Doesn't red meat actually take up a lot of calories to digest it?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Doesn't red meat actually take up a lot of calories to digest it?
    Compared to meat with less saturated fat, such as tuna, yes. But I don't think that will be a problem in your case. Red meat is loaded with creatine which will help you attain more muscle mass. Also, notice that I suggested you eat more red meat and not just red meat. Eat a lot of fish or fish oil after a hard workout to have faster muscle recovery.

Garry has a good point about starting slow on the weights and perfecting your technique. I can't tell you how many times I've stepped into a gym with a guy benching 200lbs with smaller chest muscles than I. My bench is only 145-150lbs range, but I work the chest properly. One more thing, unless you want your arms to feel like lead the next day just take it easy and build up on weights.

If you want to have ripping muscles, then it's more weight with less reps. If you want lean muscles, then it's more reps with less weight.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011