Page 17 of 143 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    I do a lot of mountain biking, light weights, and ab crunches.

May the forza be with you

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 52Paddy
    Wish I could increase the weight, but at the moment I've only access to 4.5kgs. How many reps should I aim to do of a heavier weight?

Can you suggest an alternative stomach exercise for me to try?
    So I am guessing you have 2 10 pounds dumbbells, right? Could you somehow grab them in one hand and do the exercise like that? 9kg should not be too much.
    How many reps? Not more than 15, but the weight should be challenging then.
    When I work my biceps, I almost never do more than 8 reps per set.

For stomach, yes, I can. Now, I am not a native english speaker, so if I don't make it very clear, just say so.

You could try for example three simple exercises.
    1) Get on the floor, on your back, with your elbows being on the ground and back a little off the ground (so the elbows are holding you up) and straighten out your legs.
    Hold them up in the air and then lift the left one a little higher, then back, then right one a little higher and so on. For starters 50 reps and 3 series would do nicely. Always keep the legs straightened out and don't let them touch the ground. Do it properly and dont be hasty.
    2) This one is very simple. Hopefully your problem with your arm won't stop you from doing this. This time you are on the floor so that you are looking down on the floor, straighten out your body and get your body off the floor, holding yourself up with elbows and legs (just the toes will be on the floor, not the whole leg). So all the weight will be on your elbows and on your legs (spread your legs widely). Hold yourself in that position for 1,5 minutes, if that is not enough then maybe for 2 minutes. Do it maybe 3 times.
    3) For this one you need a some additional weight. If you have those 2 dumbbells, they will do nicely. In fact, probably one is enough. Sit down on your ass, lower your body a little bit back (away from your legs so to say) and lift your legs off the ground (this time they don't have to be 100% straightened out, but almost would be good). Try to maintain a good balance. Now in your hands should you have that dumbbell. Hold the weight against your chest. Then start moving your upperbody to the left side and then to the right side, but always holding your legs up in the air and trying to keep them steady. Most people do it so that they do one turn to the right, then one turn to the left, then one turn to the right again, but I would recommend doing 2 to the left, then 2 to the right, then 2 to the left again and so on. That way you work your muscles more properly. Maybe 20 reps altogether for 3 series.

After those exercises don't forget to stretch!!! You should after those exercises feel a tight feeling in your hip flexors and if you don't stretch, then your lower back will quit on you one day. http://rpm-therapy.com/wp-content/up...or-stretch.jpg Try this stretch (obviously changing legs after doing it to one side and under no circumstance forget to do it.

If you have any questions, just ask
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    So I am guessing you have 2 10 pounds dumbbells, right? Could you somehow grab them in one hand and do the exercise like that? 9kg should not be too much.
    I was only doing one long set of bicep curls. So I should split them into three or four sets, yes? I actually just have the one dumbbell but when I am next at home, I will collect the other. I can mix the weights then, of course.

For stomach, yes, I can. Now, I am not a native english speaker, so if I don't make it very clear, just say so.

1) Get on the floor, on your back, with your elbows being on the ground and back a little off the ground (so the elbows are holding you up) and straighten out your legs.
    Hold them up in the air and then lift the left one a little higher, then back, then right one a little higher and so on. For starters 50 reps and 3 series would do nicely. Always keep the legs straightened out and don't let them touch the ground. Do it properly and dont be hasty.
    2) This one is very simple. Hopefully your problem with your arm won't stop you from doing this. This time you are on the floor so that you are looking down on the floor, straighten out your body and get your body off the floor, holding yourself up with elbows and legs (just the toes will be on the floor, not the whole leg). So all the weight will be on your elbows and on your legs (spread your legs widely). Hold yourself in that position for 1,5 minutes, if that is not enough then maybe for 2 minutes. Do it maybe 3 times.
    3) For this one you need a some additional weight. If you have those 2 dumbbells, they will do nicely. In fact, probably one is enough. Sit down on your ass, lower your body a little bit back (away from your legs so to say) and lift your legs off the ground (this time they don't have to be 100% straightened out, but almost would be good). Try to maintain a good balance. Now in your hands should you have that dumbbell. Hold the weight against your chest. Then start moving your upperbody to the left side and then to the right side, but always holding your legs up in the air and trying to keep them steady. Most people do it so that they do one turn to the right, then one turn to the left, then one turn to the right again, but I would recommend doing 2 to the left, then 2 to the right, then 2 to the left again and so on. That way you work your muscles more properly. Maybe 20 reps altogether for 3 series.

After those exercises don't forget to stretch!!! You should after those exercises feel a tight feeling in your hip flexors and if you don't stretch, then your lower back will quit on you one day. http://rpm-therapy.com/wp-content/up...or-stretch.jpg Try this stretch (obviously changing legs after doing it to one side and under no circumstance forget to do it.

Thanks for the insightful advice. I will try these techniques out and let you know how I get on.
    Tír gan teanga, tír gan anam

Liked 678 Times in 474 Posts
    Keep in mind that with the weights it someone depends on what you are trying to do. Lower weights and more reps is good if you don't want to gain muscle mass, higher weights and lower reps will grow more muscle and tone slightly better. But I do agree even with lighter weights you were going way overboard.

I also agree with the suggestions by Garry above about staying away from crunches. There are plenty of other exercises that will work your muscles more and not cause back strain. One of the ones he described is know as a "plank". You can find videos of several versions of this. Done properly it works your musles way more than crunches will.

If you have any type of pull up bar you can also do knee lifts, both straight and to the obliques. Another simple one that can really cut you up if done right. That was one of the primary exercises Sylvester Stallone did for his abs when filming the early "Rocky" movies.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    I finally made it back to the gym again for the first time in 3 weeks.
    Did my usual routine... mainly low reps and low weights
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm training for HCR. That's Helsinki City Run, a half a marathon, 21,1 km. Last summer I ran it 2.01.30 and I had a ramantic plan to get it under two hours this year. Well, last tuesday I ran 18 km and my legs were totally f****d. HCR is the 5th of may and there is no way I will run it under two hours. But maybe later this summer.....
    Another Flying Finn

Here is my experience of those exercises.

Dumbbells: Unfortunately, I only have the one dumbbell. Careless, I know, but I must have mislaid the other one. Will get a heavier set soon and sort that out. Any bicep exercises I can do which don't involve dumbbells/equipment? I don't have a bar for pull-ups and, besides, my arms are so weak, I don't think I have the strength to do them.

With regard to the ab exercises, I could only manage number 2. And, at that, it was bloody difficult! I've pushed myself to remaining in position for 1.5 minutes and done three reps. It's a real challenge but one that will get easier as I keep it consistent so thanks for that Garry

I do, however, get pain in my lower back after the exercise. I've tried various stretches which do help (as well as the groin stretch you posted) but any more are always welcome

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I am going cycling at the Manchester Veoldrome on Sunday afternoon. I've never riden a bike with a fixed wheel and no brakes before so I have high expectations that this may end in tears on my part, friction burns and a lot of pain.

I was also planning to run my first ever 10km on Tuesday (having only taken up running at the begining of the year) but this may have to wait depending on what happens at the velodrome.
    My phone has an alarm clock! Ner Ner! :p

Quote Originally Posted by GridGirl
    I am going cycling at the Manchester Veoldrome on Sunday afternoon. I've never riden a bike with a fixed wheel and no brakes before so I have high expectations that this may end in tears on my part, friction burns and a lot of pain.
    Welcome to my world. I've been riding "brakeless fixies" for a few years around the streets of Dublin. It's a whole different cycling experience and one, I'm sure, you'll want more of when you try it out. My advice is to keep focused on NOT COASTING. Don't let your legs go soft! What type of pedals are provided on the bikes? I've used TIME pedals for years and found them the best, though many fixie-riders swear by straps/belts.

As with all cycling, it's important to stretch after a run but I find this particularly to be the case when riding fixed. The constant crank rotation can put a lot of strain on your knees and I.T. Band.

Anyway, I'm probably stating the obvious - I do love to ramble : Let me know how you get on and have a good one.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    I was only doing one long set of bicep curls. So I should split them into three or four sets, yes? I actually just have the one dumbbell but when I am next at home, I will collect the other. I can mix the weights then, of course.
    3-4 sets would suit very well. There are also ways to exercise your bicep without any additional equipment.

Here is my experience of those exercises.

Dumbbells: Unfortunately, I only have the one dumbbell. Careless, I know, but I must have mislaid the other one. Will get a heavier set soon and sort that out. Any bicep exercises I can do which don't involve dumbbells/equipment? I don't have a bar for pull-ups and, besides, my arms are so weak, I don't think I have the strength to do them.
    Yes, there are. Here is one I can recommend that is very easy. Put your hands in front of you so that the left hand's fingers are pointing towards the right and right hand pointing towards the left. One hand has the palm downwards, the other upwards. Then just start putting together the palms of the hands so that 1 rep is with the right hand being on top, then changing so that left hand is on top. Keep your biceps tight and do 200 reps of that. And keep a slow and steady pace and your biceps tight.

With regard to the ab exercises, I could only manage number 2. And, at that, it was bloody difficult! I've pushed myself to remaining in position for 1.5 minutes and done three reps. It's a real challenge but one that will get easier as I keep it consistent so thanks for that Garry

I do, however, get pain in my lower back after the exercise. I've tried various stretches which do help (as well as the groin stretch you posted) but any more are always welcome
    What stopped you from doing nr 1 and nr.3? Could you do any reps with them?

As for back pain in that exercise, I haven't had it myself, but I guess for example you could do this very simple one - simply bend over and touch your toes with your fingers and let the back relax. You can bend your knees a little.
    "signature room for rent"