Page 105 of 143 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1423
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

Re: The Get fit club!

Snow and ice makes for tricky running nowadays, as does, as mentioned, limited daylight.

Looks like the (boring) treadmill in the basement will be put back into commission
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Snow and ice makes for tricky running nowadays, as does, as mentioned, limited daylight.

Looks like the (boring) treadmill in the basement will be put back into commission
    Don't despair old man! Put a TV in front of the treadmill and watch a movie, sport etc while you slog away, makes the time go faster
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.

Liked 140 Times in 81 Posts

-2 is not so bad. I just need something a little thicker to keep my toes from getting numb.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    -2 is not so bad. I just need something a little thicker to keep my toes from getting numb.
    Do some extra miles for me, as I won't be out biking if it's much below freezing... then maybe for a short not too quick ride.

Chances are the elliptical in front of the flatscreen will get more use in the colder, crappier months ahead. In all fairness though we don't get much harsh weather, so I should be able to get out some. And I really need to invest in some crap weather compatible workout gear, as I've gotten to used to warm weather stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by 555-04Q2

Don't despair old man! Put a TV in front of the treadmill and watch a movie, sport etc while you slog away, makes the time go faster
    Yes, the treadmill is positioned in our basement in front of a television, but I still find running stationary boring. I’m still trying to run outdoors but, with the city’s disinterest in any kind of meaningful snow-clearing, I’m invariably running through icy patches risking a tumble (I guess you don’t have that problem 555 ).

I have a 10km trail race coming up in about a week’s time. Never participated in one during the winter so I’m hoping my recent icy pirouette training will come in handy

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

I would expect warming up in all senses of the word before the race is going to be key?

I know when I'm cycling even in the summer I struggle until I've managed to bag a reasonable sized hill. In the winter I'm struggling and freezing cold too!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts

C'mon people... I know times are tough, winter is coming and all that, for most of us at least but don't give up .

I did my longest run this weekend, 30km in around 2h 40 minutes. Mapmyrun couldn't make it to the end. It died a few meters from the (imaginary) finish line.

It's interesting the mental process during these long runs. I run for half an hour and realize I've only done 20%... and the finish line seems so far and I really doubt I can do it. And then another half an hour goes by and I'm not even halfway through... but once i get over the mid point and then it starts feeling like the distance to finish is getting shorter and shorter with every lap. By the time I start my last 10k I feel like I'm in some kind of trance and could go for as long as I want... but it's getting dark and I there's some place I have to be at 6 pm and I'll just leave the marathon for another day

All in all I added up 65 more km to my monthly total so with the other 72 I did the previous week I've had the most efficient 2 weeks so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    C'mon people... I know times are tough, winter is coming and all that, for most of us at least but don't give up ...
    It's -16 C here today BB. I draw the line somewhere

I do have a 10km event coming up this Saturday but mercifully it's supposed to warm up to +5

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts

It's true that we don't have that kind of winters over here (not too often at least)

Liked 16 Times in 16 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    C'mon people... I know times are tough, winter is coming and all that, for most of us at least but don't give up ...
    It's -16 C here today BB. I draw the line somewhere

I do have a 10km event coming up this Saturday but mercifully it's supposed to warm up to +5
    So you still live in the global cooling part of the world
    "But it aint how hard you hit, it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done." Rocky.