Page 140 of 143 FirstFirst ... 4090130138139140141142 ... LastLast
Results 1,391 to 1,400 of 1423
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Nice pace schmenke. I haven't run so fast in a long while. I don't feel very fit at the moment. The spare tire is heavy .

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Thanks BB. I can't run a marathon, but I'll crush a 10k
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    I'm still waiting for warmer weather

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    If I did that around here I wouldn't run until July .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE View Post
    I'm still waiting for warmer weather
    Me too. In past years I would have already been cycling outside at this time of year. This year I have a turbo trainer so I'm just like, sod that!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I'm still on a roll, and increasing performance metrics on a steady pace.

The cross training on the elliptical is paying off big time in endurance and output, and translating well to the bike. Per Strava wattage estimations I'd venture to say that if I could get some road without distractions to find long term pace and spin, reaching 250+ watts for hours is within reach without killing myself or even coming close. The rare few places I can lift pace for a mile or more increase every ride I put in effort beyond just putting in miles. Over a 1.5 mile segment the other day Strava estimates I was putting down 421 watts, and my average speed was 21 MPH on a beat up old fat tired mountain bike with the aero profile of a brick.

I wish I had recorded my resting heart rate and done some performance testing a year or so back to have more exacting numbers on changes. But as I keep increasing effort, the training keeps paying off. Today I did some upper body work, then a 3 mile equivalent on the elliptical, then a true Tabata HIIT protocol. Doing the Tabata my max heart rate was around 20 BPM lower than doing that same protocol a few months back. And during the work phase (20 seconds 170% of VO2max, 10 seconds rest, rinse, repeat) I put down almost 28 calories per minute.

I've avoided running much still, but need to get out and work on pace which was always my weakness. I have the cardio base to set a fairly solid pace for my size and age, but just need to get my stride and cadence in line to make the steady effort pay off. Based on the elliptical I might keep up with Schmenke.... but the reality is I reject that theory due to my pacing problems.

I think all the data display and pacing information on the elliptical has really helped, and let me see first hand where it pays off to push, and where the steady state overcomes. I'm much better in touch with using my heart rate as a speedometer of sorts.

I can't wait to get out soon and find some road that lets me really see where 1-2 hour biking pace is.

7. Likes: Big Ben (17th March 2016)
    And some think I'm suffering from OCD because I log my runs

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben View Post
    And some think I'm suffering from OCD because I log my runs
    You have no idea how much data I have, some in formats that would cause people to search just to understand the terminology! But I'm big on the metrics, as that is where I see the improvements and figure out what is working and what is not.

And I've found a forum that has people that make it look like I don't have nearly enough data. Some of those people calculate expected weight changes to the ounce, lose their minds if they are 10 grams short of protein for the day, and would commit suicide if they couldn't weigh all of their food.

Thankfully I'm spared of that kind of thinking, and only obsess on fitness side!

My knees are not in a good shape. I think I shall give up on my 'goals'. I did notice that football is particularly hard on them. I played on Friday and I felt them so bad over the weekend that I decided it was best not to do long runs. I think I'll quit football too. Not really a great loss for the game to be honest . I haven't really enjoyed it much lately. It seems like football is always attracting a$$holes. I've played a lot but almost every time there was an a$$hole around ruining it for everyone (or most of us). There's always an hysterical guy always bitching, moaning, swearing, throwing hissy fits. I just don't have patience with them anymore. It was a very good way to stay fit though.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    According to Endomondo my cycle(s) on Friday were the first since last July! Did 11km & 8km, very slowly (1hr 50m & 1hr 20m) as it was quite a hilly area and I am far from fit. Did enjoy the downhills though, will need to start putting more effort in though. Already keen to get back out on Friday but the rest of the Easter weekend isn't looking great weather wise!

Oh and on Friday night I joined the club of those poor individuals that have had their bike on the car roof and then driven into a low entrance......oops!!
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!