Page 125 of 143 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,250 of 1423
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I've been a slacker through 2014, not riding nearly as much as I did in 2013. In all fairness I wasn't working for a period of 2013 and had time on my hands. But really I've made too many excuses and not got out as much as I could have this year. I did find out about some new riding areas recently, and the completion of a certain road allows to to get there without as much hassle as before.

The BOMB (Beat Old Mountain Bike) is finally showing some real wear, and I'll have to either start replacing some things or get another bike at some point. For a cheap box store bike it has held up well and owes me nothing, but I think with my back I'll be looking at something with at least front suspension and pick up a suspended seat bar.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    So what's your goals for 2015? To do a particular distance or take part in a particular event?

My first one is to get down to my target weight of 12 stone, I was only two pounds off that last May but I'm at 13 stone 5 just now

We've just ordered an exercise bike so hopefully that will help.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    When I broke my foot, I ballooned up to 15.5 stone.

Before Xmas started I had reached a whisker over 12.5.

I dread to think what I am back up to over Xmas.

My aim for 2015 is too get to 12. Or into the 11's.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

4. Likes: Mark (31st December 2014)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    So what's your goals for 2015? To do a particular distance or take part in a particular event?

My first one is to get down to my target weight of 12 stone, I was only two pounds off that last May but I'm at 13 stone 5 just now

We've just ordered an exercise bike so hopefully that will help.
    More than anything, I just want to work regular exercise back into my schedule. My job has slightly changed, but I've realized that I just have to make the time and do it, and that the time still exists.

I don't like working out at home. We have a gym quality elliptical machine and it will give you a hard workout, but the distractions are too great. It's easy to not work out as hard with a big flat screen in front of me. And I can get out and burn more calories per hour if I get on the bike.

As for goals, I'd like to get to the 195-200 lb range, so I guess 14 stone is a good target.

Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post

That just goes to show how much any injury can play into things. I've got to watch my back as I've started to do damage over the years, so now working out includes preventative measures.

An interesting question for those working out or otherwise just trying to not be too lazy. At what weight do you feel the best? Personally I feel the best when in the 185-200 lb range, but both are considered on the verge of, or overweight by most modern models. I was naturally thinner back in my military days, but felt healthier overall when I put on some weight after getting out of the military.

http://www.calculator.net/ideal-weig...it=0&x=38&y=11

The above link has a bunch of different ideal weight calculators, body fat calculators, etc.

I've also thought about getting a Fitbit or similar device this year. My body doesn't respond to caloric intake standards in a usual fashion, and I think it might be due to not getting my heart rate up enough during exercise. Don't ask me why, but for my age and fitness factors, my heart rate stays lower than most. I even maxed out the treadmill when getting a heart test done.

I use Endomondo on the bike, and now have a basic bike computer that I just need a battery for. I'm hoping I can see how much cadence vs heart rate, etc plays into the picture.

Admin
    Just looked at the year end numbers. I cycled further than in 2013, 2,700 miles as opposed to 2,260 miles
    I didn't walk as far, 540 miles in 2013 as opposed to 807 miles in 2013, mostly because I do the bulk of my walking in work lunchhours which I'd gotten a bit lazy with.
    Last edited by Mark; 2nd January 2015 at 14:53.

7. Likes: airshifter (4th January 2015)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steveaki13 View Post

I feel your pain Steve It is 13 months since my accident, although I have managed to avoid surgery, my thumb and knee are still on the mend. I ride my hybrid to work, when I don't spend to much time in the am on the computer but I spent 6 months without working out. I have a naturally high metabolism, and I only gained about 8 pounds before I got on my bike, and started walking (distance) again. I could stand to lose 10 pounds, but otherwise I am feeling very good about my physical condition.
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Airshifter, avoid the full sussy unless you want to mostly ride downhills. A front suspension with lockout is what I use.

As for running, well, with the snow and ice covering the sidewalks and trails, the next few months will be pretty much limited to the treadmill in the basement ( ) .
    TBH I really think my fully suspended Motobecane is tits, and I've been riding it since 2008. It is true that I need to lock out the rear suspension when riding up hill, I generally don't lock out the fronts unless I am on very smooth terrain. Mission Trails Park is where I do the majority of my mountain biking, and it is a great mix of terrain. I look forward to riding there soon, but I still am concerned about going down hard and exacerbating my injuries. My goal is to be back on the trails by June, until then I will stick to the street with my biking.
    Better health to all in 2015!
    Last edited by Tazio; 2nd January 2015 at 16:30.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    From fitness standpoint, 2014 was probably the worst it's been in years.
    - Lack of snow last winter prevented snow shoeing, I replaced it with eating kebabs
    - Did only about 500km's of bike riding, it was either too rainy, too hot, or I was too lazy. Did manage to drink a lot beer.

I did manage to go to a gym three time last year, twice in December, will be doing more of that this year.
    It doesn't look good for snowshoeing, but I might be able to do some walking instead.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    YesI too have severely slacked in 2014, mainly due to laziness as the summer weather was fairly decent, just didn't do much. Only used my new road bike 2-3 times for (very) short rides, the last of which I cursed at the damn pedals for about 3km as I couldn't clip in, will probably just swap to flat pedals for this summer as I'm far more comfortable with them.

Nursing a bit of a shoulder injury at the moment, don't know what I've done but quite painful at times, so not much opportunity for too much exercise for the immediate future
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I ran 1950km in 2014, a lot more than in 2013 but I became pretty efficient at it so while in 2013 I had started to worry I was losing too much weight too fast, in 2014 I had to start watching out again what I eat. Even with all this running I gained weight last year. And beside running I also did a lot of trekking, Tour du Mont Blanc being the highlight of the year but I also did some trekking in Fagaras (beautiful places) and some places close to my hometown. I didn't monitor these but I'm sure they add up to more than 300 km.

I did also some cycling and went to gym a few months.

I didn't weigh myself recently but I'm pretty sure I'm somewhere around 90 kilos right now, about 14 stones using your funny units . I'm 190 cm tall so I'm right there, at the border of being overweight. I'd say that 86 is probably close to my ideal weight but that's not the only thing. It's just as important for me the weight distribution. Even though I got down to 84 kilos at some point I still had some love handles and a little muffin top left. So for me a good goal for 2015 would be to finally get ready of that muffin top.

Other than that I won't be counting km anymore. I was curious to see how much can I run in a full year. Now I know, time to move on

12. Likes: airshifter (5th January 2015)
    Admin
    Well first official day of the New Years diet today. I'm 13 stone 4 (84kg) which is a pound down from last week which is something.

My target this year - as last! - is to be 12 stone (76kg) before summer, and with any luck 11 stone (70kg) before the end of summer. Ideally I'd like to keep my weight between 11 and 12 stone, which I don't think is unrealistic if I'm properly careful. Last year just life got in the way

According to the height weight charts 11 stone is the maximum considered healthy for my height anyway!