Page 119 of 143 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129 ... LastLast
Results 1,181 to 1,190 of 1423
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y View Post
    Depends on the size. I ride on 700x35s around 65 psi. I spent a week in Colorado and tried one of those public bikes that are springing up in many cities in the US. For $8 it was a vile, hateful thing limited to half hour commutes or grocery runs. And I can do both much better with my own bike.
    It's all a matter of size vs pressure.

If I ran my mountain bike fatties at 55 PSI it's just spine jarring hard, even on the rear. On a smooth road it would fly, but even the average road around here would beat you to death.

I haven't ridden in a while. I used up all my patches and need to pick up a couple tube and more patches. I hate flats!

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    I run my mtb tyres, 2,35" wide just under 3bar(43psi), Current road bike tyres, which are 35mm wide are about 4 bar 60psi. I probably could run the mtb tyres at 2.5 bar to get more traction, but I'm a bit lazy and don't want to fix punctures, mind you I'm quite heavy. If I weight aroind 80kg, I'sd propably run below 2 bar pressures.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Was quite tired last weekend after doing 80 flat miles so doing 85 crazy hilly miles probably wasn't my best idea. Shattered now!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    If I ran my mountain bike fatties at 55 PSI it's just spine jarring hard, even on the rear. On a smooth road it would fly, but even the average road around here would beat you to death.
    Yes I can confirm this, they were far too high and was actually really unpleasant, so will have to reduce them and try to find out what works best.

I've not had that many punctures, and luckily always been at home so never had to repair when I'm out and about, just a matter of time though I guess.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE View Post
    Yes I can confirm this, they were far too high and was actually really unpleasant, so will have to reduce them and try to find out what works best.

I've not had that many punctures, and luckily always been at home so never had to repair when I'm out and about, just a matter of time though I guess.
    I've reached a point where I've had so many punctures that I don't like to get more than 4-5 miles from home until I get a good bag to hold some basic tools and a spare tube or two. My luck just hasn't been great.

I've got about 1200-1500 miles on my knobbies, and there isn't much left of the center tread. I might see if I can find something that is a better compromise for the road riding. There really aren't hardly any places to ride off road around here any more.

Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    What kind of punctures are you getting?
    I haven't used anything but puncture protected tyres for years now when riding on the road. As you pondered yourself, maybe you could do with a switch to tyres intended more towards road use.
    For example I think my brother uses these for his commuter bike. I don't remember him complaining about punctures much
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...big_apple_plus
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Quote Originally Posted by janneppi View Post
    What kind of punctures are you getting?
    I haven't used anything but puncture protected tyres for years now when riding on the road. As you pondered yourself, maybe you could do with a switch to tyres intended more towards road use.
    For example I think my brother uses these for his commuter bike. I don't remember him complaining about punctures much
    http://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_ti...big_apple_plus
    So far I've had a variety of punctures, but to be honest most probably wouldn't be overcome by better tires, unless they were super tough. I had a finish nail on one, a few from big thorns when off the road, one that I never determined, and one blew out a crease on the tube which seemed to exist due to one of the previous flats.

I am going to have to get tires soon regardless, and would like something tougher than I have now. Great link, and I'm going to look for something like that, but probably with a bit more off road bite on the tread. Being it's an old crap mountain bike I don't mind loosing some speed/ride when on the road, as I'm not going that quick. But when I can get off the road we often have a lot of slick stuff, so something with a little more tread would probably keep it from being too treacherous.

So I've finally caved in and ordered a road bike, which I'll hopefully pick up tomorrow after work.

After spending about two weeks trying to change to a single chainring on the mountain bike, finally took it into a shop in town to get sorted out. Wish I'd got them to do it in the first place!!

Gutted that I've not been able to get out this weekend, perfect weather for it!

9. Likes: Mark (28th July 2014)
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by J4MIE View Post
    ...After spending about two weeks trying to change to a single chainring on the mountain bike, finally took it into a shop in town to get sorted out. Wish I'd got them to do it in the first place!! ...
    Sounds like a lot of work J4MIE

Wouldn’t both derailleurs and shifters have to be swapped out as well?

What size chain ring are you installing?

How many sprockets in the rear?

Why are you doing this?
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Got a new rear derailleur, front derailleur and front shifter got removed as it's no longer needed!

Fitted a dropper seat post so now have a button to press when I want to change the seat height, saves stopping and getting off and resizing every time I want to chicken out of throwing myself off a big drop, then putting it back up again

New front ring is 32t, same as previous middle one, but is a "narrow-wide" so I hear the chain is far less likely to come off when I'm pushing the bike along rough sections

Ten gears at the back still, but the 17t is substituted for a 40t so that it's a bit easier to get up the hills. Will have to try it out when I get it back and see how it goes.

In other news, went to pick the new road bike up today but it wasn't ready, was told to go back after 12pm tomorrow. Not pleased as I tried phoning them several times before travelling there but nobody picked up. Was not pleased at all!!