Page 134 of 143 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1423
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Nice 50 mile ride out yesterday with the cycling club, plus a nice bacon sandwhich. Well the ride and the roads were nice, the weather was bloody awful, cold, blowing a gale and spitting with rain. I want to move to somewhere warmer!

Although I fear I may have put J4MIE off cycling for good
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

2. Likes: airshifter (4th June 2015)
    Admin
    So I've had the bright idea of going mountain biking with Jamie next weekend since he did road biking with me.

Not sure if this is a great idea!

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Just make sure it's dry
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

5. Likes: Gregor-y (29th July 2015)
    Liked 675 Times in 472 Posts
    I put in about 20 miles on the BOMB (beat old mountain bike) on Sunday, with a few of it off the road on mellow trails. I've been somewhat lazy and somewhat nursing my back.

I've really got to get a new bike badly. I think I've decided to get something with a front suspension with a lock out, and decent enough I can build on as time progresses. I'll probably stay in the $500-$600 range unless I can find a good deal on something used. And like most people within a year I'll probably want a better fork.

Admin
    That seems cheap? I'm hiring a MTB on Saturday and looked up how much they are new and they are Ł500 and just thought, wow, they must be crap.

$500 to $600 will get you a bare-bones “starter” MTB, but when shopping for a bike you certainly want to consider the amount and type of terrain you expect to be riding. It doesn’t make sense to purchase a higher-end bike when it likely would not be used as intended.

I would suggest to invest in a quality frame as, as mentioned, components can always be upgraded in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    ... I think I've decided to get something with a front suspension with a lock out...
    Rockshox is the most popular front fork, and they manufacture a wide range of products. I enjoy the one on my bike and the lockout feature is highly recommended.

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Last year I did almost no use of my bicycle, fortunately since last month I'm back on this... I don't know if is my age (I'm near to 35 now) but on the first rides I got tired after only 30 minutes of exercise. Now I step up to cope 40 minutes...

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mekola View Post
    Last year I did almost no use of my bicycle, fortunately since last month I'm back on this... I don't know if is my age (I'm near to 35 now) but on the first rides I got tired after only 30 minutes of exercise. Now I step up to cope 40 minutes...
    Keep at it, it's not your age (I'm 36 and have been cycling about 3 years) this year I'm up to 5500kms of cycling commuting already, manage about 220-300kms a week, an hour each way most days. Gradually increase the distance or speed over the existing distance and you'll get there.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 675 Times in 472 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    That seems cheap? I'm hiring a MTB on Saturday and looked up how much they are new and they are Ł500 and just thought, wow, they must be crap.
    I do the opposite. I often see people with thousands of dollars into their bikes, riding little more than I do and at about the same pace. Then I think to myself.... Wow, they must be crap (riders)!

I've found that it doesn't take a big investment to get exercise and get outside to do it. I could easily spend more money on components I don't need, or buy a lightweight road bike that would improve my pace. But at the end of the day, you can burn calories and get fit on just about anything you can keep rolling.

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    $500 to $600 will get you a bare-bones “starter” MTB, but when shopping for a bike you certainly want to consider the amount and type of terrain you expect to be riding. It doesn’t make sense to purchase a higher-end bike when it likely would not be used as intended.

I would suggest to invest in a quality frame as, as mentioned, components can always be upgraded in the future.
    I don't plan on doing any major off roading, the primary reason for a mountain bike is that I do just enough off road to warrant a mountain bike over a hybrid type bike. Most of my miles will be on the bike trails or roads, with the suspension being to protect my back. I considered a full suspension bike but decided a hardtail with possibly a dampened seat post will likely do fine.

This is what I'm currently leaning towards getting....

http://www.scott-sports.com/global/e...pect-950-Bike/

I checked out and rode the Aspect 750, which is the 27.5" version. I like the geometry but it was a little too "short" for the reach and stretch I prefer. The 29er geometry is almost the same, but with the larger wheel size and a little more space where I want it.

Completely understood on the fork, and I suspect I will be upgrading it as time goes on, especially if I make time to get off the road more. I considered the higher end versions of the bike, but really they add a lot of crap I don't really need or want to get to the point of having a better fork. I don't need 27 or 30 ratios, and even at that level the fork isn't that great. I know the XCT is essentially a crap fork, but the characteristics of being stiff might work well since I am more concerned with protecting my back from the major hits than I am with a plush dampened suspension.

And if I dislike the fork earlier than thought, Suntour has an upgrade program with discounts. I could either use that or go to another brand.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinho View Post
    Keep at it, it's not your age (I'm 36 and have been cycling about 3 years) this year I'm up to 5500kms of cycling commuting already, manage about 220-300kms a week, an hour each way most days. Gradually increase the distance or speed over the existing distance and you'll get there.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk
    I noticed you were putting in steady miles when Mark made the Endo challenge. Racking them up every day like that and making it a habit is where it really pays off.

I think a fitness tracker like Endomondo is also great for anyone starting out with exercise, as it can show progress. Whether it's longer distances, increased paces, or whatever..... it would show people where they have improved and give them motivation. The social aspect may help some as well, and seeing others that keep at it is always a good thing.