Page 1 of 31 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lightbulb The Get fit club!

Ive noticed on a couple of recent threads that some members are out of shape, and unhappy about it...

Who wants to get fit with me? The basic idea of the thread is that we state fitness goals in our first post, then regularly report back on progress. Along the way we support, advise, motivate and virtually spot for each other.

Ill start with stating my problem, my goals and how i plan to go about achieving it.

Problem: I consider myself to be ideally around 78kg, Im 5 foot ten and broad shouldered, so any lighter than that would be unhealthy. Until the start of LAST year i was hovering around there and pretty happy about it. Then i started a new job, basically i manage a highly flammable lolly shop. The job and uni take up a lot of hours, and i stopped exercising. In around 20 months I have gained around 17 kg, and it aint muscle. The gut has gotten to the point where I cant hide it by sucking it in, and my old clothes dont fit. Not fun. I used to do weights a lot, so i know ive got muscle hiding under there somewhere. I just want to find it again.

Goal: Steadily get back to around 80 kg at a rate of loss between 500 grams and 1kg per week.

Method: Im going to focus on cardio. Initially i plan to do an exercise session 3 to 4 times per week. This will contain about half an hour of exercise bike (broken into 3 sets of ten minutes.). I will break these up with 2 five minute weight sessions where i lift light weights (around 50% of what i can do) at a fast rate to maintain the cardioness of the exercise, while keeping the major mucle groups awake and working.

I also plan to walk more regularly.

In the dietary sense i plan to minimise junk food from the diet. Though i dont think im ready for specific diet plans just yet.

First thing on every monday morning i will weigh myself and record process and then post on here, if the thread is still alive.

Ive been pretty candid there, obviously other people who join me dont have to be as personal if they dont want to. But yeah, anyone wanna get fit with me? Or offer hilariously cockney advice on the usefulness of Bulgarian Horse Steroids?
    Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys. - P.J. O'Rourke

Liked 49 Times in 31 Posts
    I'm trying jogging again first time in five years. I'm trying to be sensible at it and do very limited distances at first to protect knees and other body parts. Luckily my bad shape comes quite handy in limiting the run time.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi View Post
    I'm trying jogging again first time in five years. I'm trying to be sensible at it and do very limited distances at first to protect knees and other body parts. Luckily my bad shape comes quite handy in limiting the run time.
    Yep, jogging is a high-impact activity so the joints take a beating (I know ). Take it slow at first and gradually work your way up the distances . Investing in a pair of good shoes helps.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I think I'll give this service a go http://blog.endomondo.com/2014/04/01...ers-look-good/ it'll make me look a bit less lazy
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Question for the cyclists...

I’m planning on ditching my well-aged mountain bike for a new one in the next couple of weeks (thankfully my company benefits package will reimburse a good portion of the cost ).

It seems that a 29in wheel size is the norm these days, although the 650b is also popular.

What do you all ride? Having never ridden one, why would I want a 29in vs. a 650b wheel size?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke View Post
    Question for the cyclists...

I’m planning on ditching my well-aged mountain bike for a new one in the next couple of weeks (thankfully my company benefits package will reimburse a good portion of the cost ).

It seems that a 29in wheel size is the norm these days, although the 650b is also popular.

What do you all ride? Having never ridden one, why would I want a 29in vs. a 650b wheel size?

Inquiring minds want to know.

I have a 26" full suspension bike with 160mm of travel in both ends, for my riding it's intended for xc rides and the occational enduro/bike park riding. The terrain in my area is quite technical with lot of roots and rocks. If I was looking for a new full susser, I might give a 27,5" bike a try. I probably wouldn't buy a 29" bike unless moved into a area with smoother trails.

My thoughts on the different wheel sizes.
    I'm talking about bikes that are intended for actual offroad use, not the occasional ride in a smooth gravel path around the fish pond or downhill racing.
    26" bikes nowadays are marketed for "fun" riding
    - travel mostly 140mm-180mm (hard tail or full suspension).

27,5" (650b) is the between the the two, nowadays getting quite a lot of manufactures on board.
    - travel mostly 120mm-160mm (hard tail or full suspension). Not as much choice is in tyres at the moment but increases if the standard catches on.

29" Most of them are intended for xc use or for longer rides, the geometry is a bit steeper than 26" which makes it a bit sketchier on steep downhills but works better on uphills.
    - suspension travel around 120mm
    - tyres roll better over small obstacles but isn't as nimble as a 26" around tight stuff.

The most important thing is to pick a wheel size and be a Richard about it.

Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi View Post
    I have a 26" full suspension bike with 160mm of travel in both ends, for my riding it's intended for xc rides and the occational enduro/bike park riding. The terrain in my area is quite technical with lot of roots and rocks. If I was looking for a new full susser, I might give a 27,5" bike a try. I probably wouldn't buy a 29" bike unless moved into a area with smoother trails.

My thoughts on the different wheel sizes.
    I'm talking about bikes that are intended for actual offroad use, not the occasional ride in a smooth gravel path around the fish pond or downhill racing.
    26" bikes nowadays are marketed for "fun" riding
    - travel mostly 140mm-180mm (hard tail or full suspension).

27,5" (650b) is the between the the two, nowadays getting quite a lot of manufactures on board.
    - travel mostly 120mm-160mm (hard tail or full suspension). Not as much choice is in tyres at the moment but increases if the standard catches on.

29" Most of them are intended for xc use or for longer rides, the geometry is a bit steeper than 26" which makes it a bit sketchier on steep downhills but works better on uphills.
    - suspension travel around 120mm
    - tyres roll better over small obstacles but isn't as nimble as a 26" around tight stuff.

The most important thing is to pick a wheel size and be a Richard about it.

The hard part for me is finding a good way to do some direct comparisons. At some point I need to get rid of the POS I've been riding, and being most of my riding is in milder terrain, I'm leaning toward the larger wheel sizes. But I really don't want to trade off if it results in sketchy handling.

I don't do what I would consider any hard core off road riding, but what I do is more rooted up, with quite a few logs here and there to cross as well. I really don't know if going to a suspended front end will ease the body beating on this riding enough, or if the larger wheel size would ease the beating even more.

I wouldn't think most people would find the change in tire size is enough to really make handling seem slow in the really tight stuff, as it's still not a very big wheel really. I guess this would be more affected by the rider size.

From everything I've read I think I'll end up going with a 29er if I buy new. Being I've beat up my back over the years the possible trade off in low speed tight stuff handling should be overcome by the larger tire soaking up transitions and obstacles a little better. I'm still torn between buying full suspension or hardtail. Most of my miles would actually be on trails and paved stuff, but as I said anything off road around here has tons of roots and small stuff that shakes you to death at anything above a crawl on a non suspended bike. I'd hate to lose efficiency in the road stuff due to rear suspension, but it would be nice to have something to soak up some of the quick jolting transitions at curb cuts and such as well.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    The hard part for me is finding a good way to do some direct comparisons. At some point I need to get rid of the POS I've been riding, and being most of my riding is in milder terrain, I'm leaning toward the larger wheel sizes. But I really don't want to trade off if it results in sketchy handling.

I don't do what I would consider any hard core off road riding, but what I do is more rooted up, with quite a few logs here and there to cross as well. I really don't know if going to a suspended front end will ease the body beating on this riding enough, or if the larger wheel size would ease the beating even more.

I wouldn't think most people would find the change in tire size is enough to really make handling seem slow in the really tight stuff, as it's still not a very big wheel really. I guess this would be more affected by the rider size.

From everything I've read I think I'll end up going with a 29er if I buy new. Being I've beat up my back over the years the possible trade off in low speed tight stuff handling should be overcome by the larger tire soaking up transitions and obstacles a little better. I'm still torn between buying full suspension or hardtail. Most of my miles would actually be on trails and paved stuff, but as I said anything off road around here has tons of roots and small stuff that shakes you to death at anything above a crawl on a non suspended bike. I'd hate to lose efficiency in the road stuff due to rear suspension, but it would be nice to have something to soak up some of the quick jolting transitions at curb cuts and such as well.
    Same issue here, although I’m leaning towards the 650b as it sounds like the better compromise. Most of my riding consists of XC with a few cruising trails from time to time.
    I’m worried that with the larger frame of the 29er will be less stable over the bumpy stuff. I'm not looking to break any time records, I just want a comfortable and stable ride.

Airshifter, get yourself a hardtail, you won’t regret it, especially considering that nowadays they are available with a suspension that you can lock out.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    It's not just the wheel size that affects handling, 29" forks have a different rake to 26" forks which affect the steering input.
    The difference isn't apparently very massive.

If I hadn't tried a good full suspension bike three years ago I probably would be riding a 29" hardtail with a longish fork. Something along the lines of Kona Honzo. If you don't want full susser, don't try one.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Can of worms!

Ok I'm a roadie so I don't profess to know much about MTB perhaps Jamie can add something.

But 29er isn't the standard they are still pretty niche I think they are for more open terrain when you want to blat along pretty quickly. I'm thinking upland moors etc. it's the same sized wheel as road bikes I think.

But the standard if there is one is still 26" which is best for the technical trails.

650b is half way between the two so professes the best of both, or worst of both depending on your point of view!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums