Page 274 of 289 FirstFirst ... 174224264272273274275276284 ... LastLast
Results 2,731 to 2,740 of 2886
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones
    I listen to them because they are kind of a thrash/Frank Zappa hybrid and their lyrics are usually political.

My main focuses are doom metal, stoner rock, and thrash metal, with detours all over the place:

Afro-jazz (Fela Kuti, aka "The Man")
    Jazz in general - Art Blakey, Dexter Gordon, etc
    Classic rock - my "Big Three" are Led Zep, Black Sabbath, and Rush. Big Beatles fan too.
    Extreme Metal - Napalm Death, Soilent Green, Kataklysm
    "Mainstrem rock/metal" for lack of a better term - Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Weezer (my guilty pleasure band).

Strangely, the Christmas music I listen to is all stuff from the 50's & 60's - Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Percy Faith, Gene Autry, Jim Reeves, Burl Ives, Vince Guaraldi, The Andrew Sisters, etc.

Lots of other genres too. Let's just say that I am still a metal fan as I approach 40!
    I compliment you for having a versatile taste in music (Although I have to admit, I think you can do much better than Weezer, but each to his/her own, right?). I feel like I'm an eclectic listener as well: I mostly like heavy/aggressive music like those alternative metal/rock bands I listed, along with "truer-sounding metal" like Metallica, Slayer, Opeth, Pantera, Mastodon, Machine Head, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, etc. But I really enjoy stuff like Aphex Twin (Ambient Techno), Oasis (Britpop), Jaco Pastorius (Jazz Fusion), Mike Patton (various genres), Wu-Tang Clan (Hardcore Hip-Hop), Sublime (Ska Punk), Bad Religion (Melodic Punk), Dillinger Escape Plan (Hardcore Metal), Offspring (Pop Punk), Elliott Smith (Indie Folk)... and, of course, your own music, Ms. Norah Jones!.

(P.S., Oasis is my guilty pleasure).

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
    XTC- Senses Working Overtime

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was also going to mention that I like Allman Brothers Band, Elton John, David Bowie, and King Crimson a lot as well.

As of late, I've been trying to open myself up to classical music (everything in between early and contemporary), country (real country, not pop-country like Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, etc.), blues, and soul music (so far, I've only grasped Ray Charles). I find these genres to be an acquired taste and difficult to grasp, but I feel the desire to keep listening in order to grasp them. The main genre of I have difficulty listening to is reggae music, but I'm not sure why. Please, recommend me some reggae music other than the obvious Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Wailer, as that is all I ever hear about in the conversation of reggae music. I know rocksteady and ska were precursors to reggae, and that dancehall, dub, ragga, and other genres are spin-offs of reggae, so you can include musicians from these genres as well.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones
    I listen to them because they are kind of a thrash/Frank Zappa hybrid and their lyrics are usually political.

My main focuses are doom metal, stoner rock, and thrash metal, with detours all over the place:

Afro-jazz (Fela Kuti, aka "The Man")
    Jazz in general - Art Blakey, Dexter Gordon, etc
    Classic rock - my "Big Three" are Led Zep, Black Sabbath, and Rush. Big Beatles fan too.
    Extreme Metal - Napalm Death, Soilent Green, Kataklysm
    "Mainstrem rock/metal" for lack of a better term - Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Weezer (my guilty pleasure band).

Strangely, the Christmas music I listen to is all stuff from the 50's & 60's - Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, Percy Faith, Gene Autry, Jim Reeves, Burl Ives, Vince Guaraldi, The Andrew Sisters, etc.

Lots of other genres too. Let's just say that I am still a metal fan as I approach 40!
    Can I ask, are you a fan of Doom Metal bands like My Dying Bride, Anathema and Virgin Black?

Rhapsody- Dawn of Victory. Thought I'd give them a try, this is the cheesiest, most cringe worthy speed/power metal I've ever heard!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    John Legend & The Roots - Hard Times

Liked 1,090 Times in 607 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ICWS
    I compliment you for having a versatile taste in music (Although I have to admit, I think you can do much better than Weezer, but each to his/her own, right?). I feel like I'm an eclectic listener as well: I mostly like heavy/aggressive music like those alternative metal/rock bands I listed, along with "truer-sounding metal" like Metallica, Slayer, Opeth, Pantera, Mastodon, Machine Head, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, etc. But I really enjoy stuff like Aphex Twin (Ambient Techno), Oasis (Britpop), Jaco Pastorius (Jazz Fusion), Mike Patton (various genres), Wu-Tang Clan (Hardcore Hip-Hop), Sublime (Ska Punk), Bad Religion (Melodic Punk), Dillinger Escape Plan (Hardcore Metal), Offspring (Pop Punk), Elliott Smith (Indie Folk)... and, of course, your own music, Ms. Norah Jones!.

(P.S., Oasis is my guilty pleasure).
    I just liked Weezer's first album. I don't listen to them often but I liked them off the bat.

When it comes to rap there is only one band I will listen too, wait, make that two:
    Public Enemy & The Roots

If I was going to listen to folk I would start with Pete Seeger (more political/protest music!).
    Or, would Crosby, Stills, and Nash count?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Quote Originally Posted by ICWS
    I was also going to mention that I like Allman Brothers Band, Elton John, David Bowie, and King Crimson a lot as well.

As of late, I've been trying to open myself up to classical music (everything in between early and contemporary), country (real country, not pop-country like Tim McGraw, Garth Brooks, Lady Antebellum, Taylor Swift, Faith Hill, Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, etc.), blues, and soul music (so far, I've only grasped Ray Charles). I find these genres to be an acquired taste and difficult to grasp, but I feel the desire to keep listening in order to grasp them. The main genre of I have difficulty listening to is reggae music, but I'm not sure why. Please, recommend me some reggae music other than the obvious Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, and Bunny Wailer, as that is all I ever hear about in the conversation of reggae music. I know rocksteady and ska were precursors to reggae, and that dancehall, dub, ragga, and other genres are spin-offs of reggae, so you can include musicians from these genres as well.
    When it comes to classical I like the heaviest of them all: Beethoven.

I cannot stand country at all. Just not my thing. Neither is pop of almost any kind.

If you want to hear some reggae mixed with heavy metal there is Bad Brains.

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Can I ask, are you a fan of Doom Metal bands like My Dying Bride, Anathema and Virgin Black?

Rhapsody- Dawn of Victory. Thought I'd give them a try, this is the cheesiest, most cringe worthy speed/power metal I've ever heard!
    Those bands are what is known as doom death (I guess) and I never got into them. I thought I would like Anathema after their guitarist hooked up with Trouble's Eric Wagner for that Lid side project (yes, I must be one of a few to own the album). But the last time I listened to them I wasn't too excited.

Symphonic Metal is not for me. My younger brother is a Symphony X fan and I just can't get into them.

Oh - here's one for you metal/rap crossover nuts:

I actually have the "Judgment Night" soundtrack on CD.

Oh - I am also a Big Frank Zappa Fan!
    I've got some of his son Dweezil's cd's too.