36 52.94%
  • AGAINST

26 38.24%
  • UNDECIDED

6 8.82%
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question Capital Punishment.....For or Against

what purpose does Capital punishment serve?

"An execution is not simply death. It is just as different from the privation of life as a concentration camp is from prison. It adds to death a rule, a public premeditation known to the future victim, an organization which is itself a source of moral sufferings more terrible than death. Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated can be compared. For there to be an equivalency, the death penalty would have to punish a criminal who had warned his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a monster is not encountered in private life."
    Albert Camus---"Reflections on the Guillotine, Resistance, Rebellion & Death" (1966).
    the big print giveth the small print taketh

Liked 47 Times in 35 Posts

Capital punishment

Sticky wicket here! The public vote FOR and the polititions vote NO !

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Very definitely against, no matter what the circumstances.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Very definately for, under very specific circumstances.
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by steve_spackman
    what purpose does Capital punishment serve?

"An execution is not simply death. It is just as different from the privation of life as a concentration camp is from prison. It adds to death a rule, a public premeditation known to the future victim, an organization which is itself a source of moral sufferings more terrible than death. Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated can be compared. For there to be an equivalency, the death penalty would have to punish a criminal who had warned his victim of the date at which he would inflict a horrible death on him and who, from that moment onward, had confined him at his mercy for months. Such a monster is not encountered in private life."
    Albert Camus---"Reflections on the Guillotine, Resistance, Rebellion & Death" (1966).
    Your quoting an "Existentialist" A philosophy that is opposed to “Rationalism” and “Empiricism,”

BTW I'm against it!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    That's a difficult one.
    I can imagine a few circumstances where I would be for it, but for 99% I'm against it, but only if the other option is jail + crushing stones for the of his/her life.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think that the death penalty is flawed due to the fact that the death penalty delivers a 'double punishment'; that of the execution and the preceding wait, and this is a mismatch to the crime.

Also it's argued that retribution is used in a unique way in the case of the death penalty. Crimes other than murder do not receive a punishment that mimics the crime - for example rapists are not punished by sexual assault, and people guilty of assault are not ceremonially beaten up.
    the big print giveth the small print taketh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Same for me.

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    In view of the cases where innocents, found guilty after dodgy investigations, have been executed, I am definitely against the death penalty.

In any case, if they are guilty, I reckon they suffer more from a life sentence in jail.

The only exception is in China, where the STATE finds it economical to execute, because they then charge the family for the bullet. In these times of economical hardship, the Communist regime there makes a compelling argument for Capital Punishment. Whether the guy is eventually proven innocent is never the case, because nobody dares to argue the case.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    For in cases of premeditated murder where there is no question of possible innocence.
    Also for in the case of anyone on these forums who has the terminity to disagree with me!