Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 642 Times in 344 Posts
    Given that I operate one of those statistics sites that were referenced to, I feel a need to put in a word. First of all, I think that this thread is interesting and not at all detrimental to statistics sites, quite the contrary.

Quote Originally Posted by LazioCenturion
    1) I suppose one could add the 1973 to 1978 manufacturer's titles if you want. My stats focus was always on the driver's championship, so I have not done much with the preceeding 6 seasons.
    This one is simple: you should. You're correct having a view that there must be a cut-off rule - otherwise you'd end up collecting data for first cow-race held in early stone age. My cut-off rule runs at championship edge, when there was only a cup I am not interested but once it is awarded a championship status it becomes meaningful. Artificial, I know but championship brings something of a composition and order to the things.

2) I am aware there are other sites with some of these stats. This was just a little posting along the lines of my stats for each rally.
    I already mentioned that I feel this thread to be good but let me elaborate a little. As my point above proves, statistics can be counted differently based on rules they follow. Some statistics follow easily acceptable rules, for example there can only be one winner so wins are wasy to count. But that opens up the question, winners of what events? Do winners of rounds that were only manufacturer scoring rounds count? If not, 1973-1978 wouldn't count but neither would Sweden 1989 (it counted only towards WCD). And the classic: how about San Remo 1986?

These rulings are an integral part of any statistics and while I think that I've found a good compromise, there always is room for discussion. Just recently I was updating the code on my site and was left wondering whether I should treat Alpine in conjunction with Renault in similar fashion that Datsun and Nissan are. I decided against this because Nissan is simply Datsun's connotation but Alpine was a separate company from Renault (although no longer independent at the time when they won WRC rounds).

These rules are a point where I think a lot of gray areas exist and I'd appreciate discussion around the hazy edges.

3) Nicky Grist did not actually win a co-driving title but took over half-way through Juha Kankkunen's 1993 season. So I suppose one could categorize that in several ways. (Juha Piironen was the initial co-driver until he had a stroke or embalysm or something like that).
    Two things here. First of all, co-drivers have not had championship title as long as drivers have. Unfortunately I have not found any reference as to when they first got the title or who've been co-driver champions. FIA rules today say that there is one but Thorszelius certainly wasn't the first one. Anyone got a light on this, please shed it.

Secondly, Grist ran only five events alongside Kankkunen in 1993 while Delecour's second, Daniel Grataloup, ran on nine events. Daniel's score would be equal to that of Delecour, ie. 112 pts whereas Grist would have scored only following:
    Monte with Schwarz: 6th = 6 pts
    Acropolis with Schwarz:3rd = 12 pts
    Argentina with Kankkunen: 1st = 20 pts
    New Zealand with Kankkunen: 5th = 8 pts
    Finland with Schwarz: 9th = 2 pts
    Australia with Kankkunen: 1st = 20 pts
    Catalunya with Kankkunen: 3rd = 12 pts
    Great Britain with Kankkunen: 1st= 20 pts
    total of 100 points

In all, Grist was co-driver of driver's world champion but certainly not co-driver champion. Grataloup was if there was any.

4) On the topic of Manufacturer's and Countries. I have seen on several sites, this stat listed in some form. Subaru, Mitsubishi and Toyota are Japanese manufactures and so that is why I labeled them as such.
    I myself view this rather meaningless statistics for a number of reasons. There is admittedly some national pride attached to it but since big automobile companies do not exactly spring up every day, what's the point? Those countries that have manufacturers of cars almost automatically feature in this category. Perhaps only Korea is a new entrant but besides that, manufacturer nation stats doesn't change much.

If one is insisted to include it, the origin of the manufacturer is obviously the deciding one, not that one of the team. Admittedly, the team does the work but take the case of TTE for example. It was run by a swede with crew of at least dozen other nationalities. First based in shed in Sweden, then in Belgium, then in UK and later Germany. What nationality one would use? Japan is the only correct one and not only for the sake of simplicity.

Excuse me for my long rant but my interest to this topic should be obvious. And to anyone who cared to read this far: I extend an invitation to contribute to the discussion and I reserve a right to incorporate any good ideas to my site.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    How often you upgrade the stats Jonkka ? And does it take much of your time to keep up with your site?
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
    Well, I tend to agree with jonkka 99%.
    The remaining 1% goes to the "nationality" of Ford. Even if I agree that it's become impossible and unnecessary to attach nationalites to teams, or rather to manufacturers, I somehow always considered Ford as British, and in my mind that will never change.
    Especially when Americans had nothing to do with the cars Ford competed with, and indeed showed very little interest in the whole thing.

That's just my 2cents, tho.
    Drive as if your life depends on it...because it does!

2005 WRC Pickems Champion!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaps
    Well, I tend to agree with jonkka 99%.
    The remaining 1% goes to the "nationality" of Ford. Even if I agree that it's become impossible and unnecessary to attach nationalites to teams, or rather to manufacturers, I somehow always considered Ford as British, and in my mind that will never change.
    Especially when Americans had nothing to do with the cars Ford competed with, and indeed showed very little interest in the whole thing.

That's just my 2cents, tho.
    Which is exactly why I wouldn't argue that Ford's rally programme should be credited to the US. I am not even sure that the funding for the WRC programme actually comes out of Detroit, I would be surprised if it did.

Liked 642 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    How often you upgrade the stats Jonkka ? And does it take much of your time to keep up with your site?
    Sorry for late answer, been busy

Basically I update the online version of the site weekly, mainly Wednesdays. I have a version on my own computers that I update with new results as events take place and with old results as I get them. With so many old events still having uncomplete results, updating takes place almost every day of the week.

Site is my main hobby so it does take up a lot of time. I've never counted hours, though.

Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
    Good input Lazio, i too am crazy for WRC stats i'm doing since i was a kid, in 79. Don't have a website though, it's all on HDDs via Excel.

Even though the informations are available through other websites, it's always interesting to have it in one place, and this is the right place.

On my part i think nationality stats worth being mentioned because when one dives into stats, it makes sense to go through the work and mention them.

Funny note that only people who don't have their cars involved in the WRC wouldn't find the nationality tally interesting and would raise nationality pride as an argument.

I share the same opinion with others that nationality is sometimes hard to determine for teams like Ford, Toyota, Sub, Mitsu. But since the intention of world rallying, the funding, the sporting and marketing policies even adapted to foreign countries are respectively originated from the USA and Japan i'd give them both the nationality credit of their titles.

And it doesn't take anything from the supermen located in Cumbria, Köln, Banbury or Rugby who made their overseas employer's dreams come true.
    Markku Alén, 1978 World Champion