Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Vectra for Vauxhall in 2007

The news we've all been waiting for

http://www.btccinfo.co.uk/2007/news/vx_vectra.html

Vauxhall has announced it will be introducing a brand new car for its 2007 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship campaign – the Vauxhall Vectra Hatchback.

The decision will mean extensive development, but the introduction of Super 2000 rules for the new season made that inevitable. In response, the team has been working around the clock building the new model from scratch. Preliminary reviews are cautiously optimistic.

“For the last four months we’ve slept and worked and that’s it!” said VX Racing’s Technical Director, John Morton. “The new regulations have given us a real headache. Now we have to design around standard road-car parts, which means designing a lot of things from scratch.

“Because of that, we can’t predict how some parts are going to behave as we haven’t had any race experience with them, but the Vectra definitely has advantages over the Astra – mainly aerodynamics.”

The Luton-based manufacturer’s decision to use the Vectra was made after extensive trials using the new S2000 rules.

“We’ve tested the various potential models - the Astra, Vectra and even the Corsa,” said VX Racing Brand Manager, Stuart Harris. “Technically, and from an aerodynamic point of view, we decided the Vectra gave us the best possibility.

“2007 is going to be a tough year with another new car to develop and get on stream. The only team who won’t be at a disadvantage is SEAT. Their car is the same as last year and they will benefit from the World Touring Car development, whereas we have to do it all ourselves. We’ve got an incredibly professional and hard-working team, though, and I know they are throwing everything at this project.”

Last month Banbury-based VX Racing confirmed the continuation of Tom Chilton, of Reigate, and Italy’s Fabrizio Giovanardi as the two works drivers.

The new car is set to be unveiled at the Autosport International Show on January 11th.

Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good news, beat me to it by 4 minutes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and what is a vectra hatchback??? lol great news though - glad to see another proper tourer back. now all we need are some alfas, a couple of accords and a few more bmw 3's!!!
    Saturday 4th June System of a Down Brixton Academy
    Sunday 5th June BTCC Brands Hatch
    Thats a weekend and a half!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No real surprise that they're going with the Vectra. Can't wait to see the pictures of it from the Autosport Show in January.
    Blackadder! Blackadder! With many a cunning plan,
    Blackadder! Blackadder! You horrid little man.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Beat you to it think you will find i put it on the 07 rumours thread at lunchtime and found out a no of weeks ago and if you read the post i put on it will tell you where pretty much everyone else stands except WSR willleave you all guesing on that one i think.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plato 4 Title
    and what is a vectra hatchback???
    Like most Hatchbacks. It has a tailgate, not a bootlid!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i will go and sit in my corner! lol a normal vectra then!
    Saturday 4th June System of a Down Brixton Academy
    Sunday 5th June BTCC Brands Hatch
    Thats a weekend and a half!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by racer77
    Beat you to it think you will find i put it on the 07 rumours thread at lunchtime and found out a no of weeks ago and if you read the post i put on it will tell you where pretty much everyone else stands except WSR willleave you all guesing on that one i think.
    Think you'll find a lot of people have known its the Vectra for a while, but can only officially say so once Vauxhall confirm it.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I would like to think a lot of people Knew that it would be a vectra for a while not just 2or3 VXR employees because they would be pretty far behind shedule if that was the case.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good news for the BTCC. The Astra is a nice looking car, but looked a bit odd with the BTCC wing. The Vectra is a proper looking tourer and I much prefer the saloon look. The Corsa would of been daft IMO, far to small.