Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiero 5.7
    Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, the Commonwealth of Virginia. I spent about 6 months up there, laying around. taking it easy, and living off my own funds earned before coming to Virginia. I never sought employment while there. These people have a tax or fee or levy on damn near everything. Personal property taxes, car tax (different from license and registration, it had to do with the value of your car on a yearly basis), and all manner of property confiscation laws. If you got it now, they're gonna get it sooner or later. The proof of payment of your personal property taxes is a sticker that goes in the lower middle of your car windshield. If, after the due date, you're driving around with no sticker, they can stop you and snatch your car.

Two places in the USA where radar detectors are illegal, Washington D.C. and Virginia. What are they afraid of? Revenue going to take a hit? Until moving to Virginia, I thought China was the only place communisium was alive and well.

Because I had all my mail forwarded to the Virginia address, my federal income tax return was also sent there. Virginia sent me all kinds of threatening letters for not paying my state income tax. It took 2 months, and a whole bunch of expensive long distance phone calls to prove to them (burden of proof on me) that I had not even been in Virginia during the tax year in question.

I was thrilled to leave and am sorry for those that must stay.
    And believe me, we really miss having you here. We've been flying our flag at half staff since the day your car crossed the border...

I don't know what property confiscation laws you're referring to that are not federal, unless you were dealing in illegal guns or drugs (six months and no job, eh?), drunk driving or trolling for prostitutes. And when I moved back to VA from Maryland, I was stopped for not having a county sticker. I don't recall anyone towing my Jaguar away. I think I would recall that. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would remember that.

I've certainly done rather well living in Virginia. The DuPonts, Kluges, Hurts and a variety of others have done even better (by a great margin). And since Virginia is as different as night & day from NoVA to SW VA, what people see in one part of the state, they likely will see something else in another part. It's amazing, most places are that way. Even countries are that way. Wowee! Whoda thunk that?

Being that I don't always drive the speed limit, I'm not so thrilled about these penalties. But guess what, I'll probably slow down while going through the pits from now on.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I miss texas. I need to get back there.
    Errrrr, I hear New Mexico is a great state, and Washington is just beautiful, and it´s very hot and humid here right now, horrible, horrible place.
    Jose Arrambide
    Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition
    Monty Python Flying Circus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was in the Roanoke area. I also don't particularly care for your gun running/drug smuggling insinuation either. Considering I had not taken any real vacation in the previous 5 years, I easily had more than enough money to stay out of work for 2 years without tapping any 401ks or IRAs. Of course, I wasn't having to make any Jag payments either. My Trans Am was paid for.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrambide
    Errrrr, I hear New Mexico is a great state, and Washington is just beautiful, and it´s very hot and humid here right now, horrible, horrible place.

New Mexico would be my next choice. It's beautiful out there. In younger days, spent some time backpack camping around Cowles(?) and visiting Sante Fe. Never got tired of it, just got caught up in the real world.
    If legislation makes you equal, you aren't.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I was in the Roanoke area. I also don't particularly care for your gun running/drug smuggling insinuation either. Considering I had not taken any real vacation in the previous 5 years, I easily had more than enough money to stay out of work for 2 years without tapping any 401ks or IRAs. Of course, I wasn't having to make any Jag payments either. My Trans Am was paid for.
    And I didn't appreciate you running down my HOME state as some sort of bastion of communism. You expected to get a pass for that crack? Virginia is one of the most fiscally and politically conservative states in the United States. Either you don't know the basic definition of communism or you've dreamed up stuff in your head that is untrue, as far as communism is concerned. I know the Roanoke area very well. Did the secret police keep you from going to Valley View Mall? Did Oops the monkey try to get you locked up in Mill Mountain Zoo?

As for the Jaguar, I paid cash for it. I financed a home for a guy at Rosenthal Jag and he expressed his gratitude with a good deal. Vacation? What's that?! I haven't taken a true vacation since college (20 years ago). When I have extra cash, I call it "working capital". I don't use it to lay on my butt for six months.

Tell me of your terrible trials and tribulations while in VA, comrade.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith