Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    There was a woman on the news yesterday moaning that the police evacuated them with "barely any warning". Given the sudden nature of the flooding, I'm not sure what she was expecting
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The tough part is when you can't get insurance, then you get flooded, some of the bills for these things run into tens of thousands. IMO there should at least be a government backed flood insurance scheme for those who can't get flood insurance commerically.
    Why? The risks of being flooded can be quantified, more or less, and should be taken into consideration when one is buying a house.

If you choose to take a calculated risk, and lose, then why should public money bale you out?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    Why? The risks of being flooded can be quantified, more or less, and should be taken into consideration when one is buying a house.

If you choose to take a calculated risk, and lose, then why should public money bale you out?
    Because it's not "my" fault
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 581 Times in 213 Posts
    If you live on a flood plain without insurance, what do you expect?

I remember when Glasgow got flooded a few years back cos of some freak storm, the people there said that they couldn't afford insurance so wanted public money to fix everything. I was not impressed
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    On the insurance issue, my house is thirty yards from a tidal river (the Ouse) that brings huge ocean-going cargo ships past at high tides each day. I can get insurance, but it's cost is so high it'd be cheaper to replace the entire house content that would be damaged after only two years of paying. Non-flood insurance is the same as anywhere else, but tack on flood cover and it adds about three thousand pounds. This house has NEVER flooded. In fact it cannot flood thanks to the river being tidal, so why the high cost?

The stables, a half mile off the same river, flood twice a year at least and houses near it also get soaked. They have insurance cheaper than it would cost me thanks to having it for years before floods started there.

No sense to the insurance costs at all

For the record, we have had warnings of further floods here. Do I see sandbags outside the houses that always flood? No. As I said, it's their own fault when they get wet feet ......
    "The Jaguar's going cheap"
    "Shouldn't it be purring?" :confused:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brockman
    There was a woman on the news yesterday moaning that the police evacuated them.
    I'd moan if the police tried to evacuate me!

Evacuating buildings is fine, but people? It's just messy and painful.