Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Common Sense leaves the WRC

With lots of talented drivers unable to raise the cash to get a drive and cars being shipped hundreds of miles on the back of lorries/trains to do a Super Special on the last day of at least two WRC events ,has this made for tv spectacular finally lost the plot or is it yet more "evolution"?

Circuit racing has been the domain of money over talent for years so guess it was only a matter of time, but 2007 is already shaping to be the year when the WRC became the preserve of the renta driver.

As for shipping cars to do Super Specials...

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    You couldn't make it up could you? Unbelieveable, they really are selling their soul for T.V, maybe Rally GB will follow this example and run a Superspecial at Wembley, or Silverstone maybe.
    Sorry, but I really wonder were the WRC is heading, always looking for the fast buck, instead of the wider picture. As I've said before if the championship is an exciting, spectacular must-see event T.V will come calling.That means lots of manufacturers with loud, spectacular cars that privateers can afford,....
    When will they learn..??

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Yes I see that this sport needs more visionaires like Mr. Richards
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 2,261 Times in 892 Posts
    I think even if they had a stadium special on each rally it wouldnt make any difference to the bigger picture. All it does is simply make some more money for each individual rally and raise speccy numbers. Showing something live on Eurosport 2 or whatever channel isnt going to help they might as well wait and sort out the tv fundamentals and get a good product before they go and bend over for the media. Televised stages should be Chatsworth House type mickey mouse ones where something can actually happen to affect the standings and not RoC type parades and hanging out of cars waving to half full stadiums.
    RS Motorsport Media - Follow me on Instagram: rsmotorsportmedia

5. Likes: AndyRAC (25th October 2020)
    Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    The lack of comom sense is usual in FIA minds, in all forms of motorsport. They are lucky because in F1 thing went well all these years, but they had reasons to went wrong... pure lucky. The others motorsports are all as we see, and WRC is bad since 2000, not since 2006.

But this comon sense is not a FIA exclusive, i had some discussions here in the forum with members that have the same problem. I call it lack of comon sense but they prefered call it diferent visions....
    Three gears are enough!

Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Maybe the new IRC is the championship to start following; okay so it hasn't got the top drivers and cars,BUT it will have greater competition and Rallies that are proper Rallies, not the short sprint farces the WRC is turning into.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 3,290 Times in 1,732 Posts
    I even read somewhere that next year there will be a liaison road of 700 km between two stages on some WRC rally! I think it will be in Argentina. How clever is that?!
    http://www.rallymadness.prv.pl - rally photos and movies!

Liked 642 Times in 344 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    That means lots of manufacturers with loud, spectacular cars that privateers can afford,....
    Cars must be road legal and there is limit to noise that such car can make. Also, how does privateer affordable cars contribute to the show?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The problem with wrc is that D.Richards want it to look good, but to have no substance, a little same like his rally team.
    Aja kovaa Pena.

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    Rallies that are proper Rallies, not the short sprint farces the WRC is turning into.
    Apart the Safari Rally which other rallies in IRC calendar are going to be a "proper" rally with more SS mileage than WRC event?
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.