Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Oval wings and some mods are NOT rocket science people. The engineers that design race cars know all about what they are doing, and an oval just demands less downforce to make the racing interesting on ovals and force drivers to lay off the throttle instead of going flat out. That is something the IRL cars need to look at right now. I find most of their cookie cutter oval races are pretty much flat to the floor exercises, and that isn't racing people. That is just playing around in the draft like a NASCAR superspeedway event. IT is fun once in a while, but when half your races are packs, it just is a dangerous way to make a living, and I find it often dull after a while. The best races are on flat ovals... like Indy.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    Chris, my point is, why would Panoz be spekking out an oval kit for the DP-01 when there are no ovals on the schedule and no one knows how it would work without some testing, anyway?
    Did you forget the original specification for the DP01 included addressing oval safety concerns. Remember the big debate how the DP01 could have been lighter and nimbler if it were a purpose designed road racer? There was even talk about adding more horse power to the new Cosworth engine.

Champ Car elected to incorporate oval-specific design requirements since ovals are still part of their forecasted future. If TG ever gets his head out of the sand, you never know what technology becomes common ground. The mere fact CC has at least one chassis positioned to fit the need of both series bodes well for the furture of open wheel in North America.

The most sensible approach for the IRL would be to develop a 2nd choice along the lines of the Lola. Hopefully they will set-up shop in the US so they can keep the costs down. The UK£ is killing the US$ right now in currency exchange.
    LBGP: The Sound - The Spectacle. Racin' at its finest.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All you have to do is look at the new tubs to know they are oval safe and oval ready. The oval package may not be available but you can bet they've been tested via CAE simulation just like they do in aerospace and Formula 1.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Guess if it ever gets necessary, we'll find out.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    I have never heard or read anything about the IRL getting or NOT getting a new chassis at any specific point. The current chassis has been updated several times through the years. I read a Barnhart quote saying the IRL was comfortable with the current chassis and an update kit was not necessary for '06.....haven't heard if anything is updated for '07.

As far as the DP-01 goes, I doubt if anybody knows the extent necessary to put an oval kit on one or if one would work on ovals anyway. That wasn't the mission for it. It was built as a road-racing car for a road-racing series. When they're just delivering it for the road-racing series, converting it for ovals must be WAY down the road in any such thinking, IMO.
    Pure double speak and nonsense. The IRL chassis was updated in an attempt to keep it from flying, and then it was updated (at huge expense) to enable it to go road racing. It is now a year overdue for replacement.

There is absolutely nothing about the DP-01 that would make it unsuitable for oval racing, except the wishful thinking of the IRL fans that wish it, and Champ Car, would go away.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IYO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not at all. Despite all of the actual facts regarding the design of the DP-01, you and your ilk insist on trying to portray it as somehow unsuitable for ovals, without a scintilla of evidence to support such claims.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And it is true that the IRL had originally planned to have a new chassis for '06. You know that, IC.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, Zzs, you're right. They did. Think it was the ongoing development of the car for road course kit and safety features plus cost, that probably they made an "ain't-broke-don't-fix-it" call.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We can be sure team owners weighed in with their opinions. Wasn't it IC that suggested CC team owners were taking a big risk investing in new chassis' when the series was on life support? I think that applies to anyone in US open wheel these days no matter where you place your allegiance.