Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    I personally think that as far as IRL getting a new chassis is concerned it will greatly depend on the health of the series, if grids are diminishing (as they seem to be currently) then a new chassis is the last thing they need as it just increases costs and as all the teams are now running Dallaras with Honda engines there is parity across the field, largely rendering a new chassis unnessarcery and with less cars in the field there will be a surplus supply of used chassis, which decreases costs.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have never heard or read anything about the IRL getting or NOT getting a new chassis at any specific point. The current chassis has been updated several times through the years. I read a Barnhart quote saying the IRL was comfortable with the current chassis and an update kit was not necessary for '06.....haven't heard if anything is updated for '07.

As far as the DP-01 goes, I doubt if anybody knows the extent necessary to put an oval kit on one or if one would work on ovals anyway. That wasn't the mission for it. It was built as a road-racing car for a road-racing series. When they're just delivering it for the road-racing series, converting it for ovals must be WAY down the road in any such thinking, IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    FWIW - I jsut finished reading Dr. Steve Olvey's book and toward the end he mentions being contracted to help work on safety design issues for the new IRL car "due in 2007". So, if that is/was true at the time then I am guessing all bets are off for the time being...

Also, FWIW, I seem to remember Kalkhoven (or someone at champcar) making abig deal about the DP-01 being "oval ready" - whatever that means - so my best guess is that all it needs is a oval aero and suspension package and it is ready to go (only a guess)...

I kind of doubt that picture is of a proposed IRL car - the last thing either series is going to want if they are not going to merge is something to make them even less distinct... However, running both engines with some sort of equivalency formula would be a pretty interesting scenario for either/both /combined series.....

Last but not least - given the current state of AOWR - I don't think the IRL is under any big pressure to get a new car - CART/champcar proved you can get away with the same design for quite a while in a "spec" series - so why change if it is not necesary???

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Chris, my point is, why would Panoz be spekking out an oval kit for the DP-01 when there are no ovals on the schedule and no one knows how it would work without some testing, anyway?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    Chris, my point is, why would Panoz be spekking out an oval kit for the DP-01 when there are no ovals on the schedule and no one knows how it would work without some testing, anyway?
    I agree - makes no sense to have an oval kit for 2007 and without ovals on the schedule... but perhaps the chassis is strong/safe enough for ovals??? I am guessing that is what they were referring to - as long as the tub is set up to deal with the stresses of oval racing a kit can follow in due course after appropriate design/testing etc. if necessary (as opposed to an F-1 car which might never be made acceptable on ovals due to fundamental design choices....)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    We may know. We may never know.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    IC, I think the DP 01 could be easily converted for ovals for one reason. KK wouldn't have the car not meet a minimal safety standard that could take a hit on ovals. The aero parts to run on an oval is just extra time and money that could be spent to adapt the car for ovals. They may not have an "oval package" but you know as well as I do that KK isn't going to invest all this money in a new chassis and not keep his options open. He knows that the IRL may need a new car some day, and he also knows that he doesn't want to slam the door shut on ovals if the market changes. A prudent business man thinks ahead, and KK is nothing but prudent....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Also, KK has been the one who has been open to merger talks, so he would also have that in the back of his mind when he asked Elan/Panoz to build a CCWS car.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    As far as the DP-01 goes, I doubt if anybody knows the extent necessary to put an oval kit on one or if one would work on ovals anyway. That wasn't the mission for it. It was built as a road-racing car for a road-racing series. When they're just delivering it for the road-racing series, converting it for ovals must be WAY down the road in any such thinking, IMO.
    I just read on the CC forum that a CC tech said the DP01 does have an oval package as part of the design.

I don't agree with your argument that CC would develop a chassis for street racing only. Why would they not design it with an oval package? If things "come together" down the road, CC would be shooting itself in the foot by not having a chassis that is capable of running ovals. I fail to see KK and Co. being that short sighted. Besides, I also don't agre that CC is giving up on ovals.
    Doug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DRC
    I just read on the CC forum that a CC tech said the DP01 does have an oval package as part of the design.

I don't agree with your argument that CC would develop a chassis for street racing only. Why would they not design it with an oval package? If things "come together" down the road, CC would be shooting itself in the foot by not having a chassis that is capable of running ovals. I fail to see KK and Co. being that short sighted. Besides, I also don't agre that CC is giving up on ovals.
    Doug, both CC and Panoz officials have said publicly and openly that no oval package currently exists for the DP-01, although one could be developed at a later date if necessary. And note that the post on the CC forum was very much second hand. An "I heard he said" kind of thing.

An oval package is worthless until it is tested, and tested in traffic, anyway. Until then it's just another developmental kit even if it does exist. And I am quite sure an oval kit has NOT been tested, or that would have been big news.
    Keep your eyes open for the rest of January, you may be in for a surprise - Speeds Up...