Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Oooooh! Never knew about that! That sort of thing Nigel Roebuck doesn't write often about is it?!

Mansell is my all-time hero and lives up to that status because he has time for the fans. He would be quite happy signing autographs all day than do a corporate event, that's for sure!

Watching the early 1980s season reviews on youtube, I'm awe-struck how immensely likeable Nelson Piquet was. Such a shame he sank to low levels with his feud with Mansell and forever tarnished his image.
    Part of the 'intrigue' surrounding our Nige, is that, for someone who comes across (because of the Brummie accent) as boring, can be so exciting in the car. Never a dull moment (when in the car!!!)
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

I remember him complaining at Ferrari that it wasn't fair that Alain Prost spoke Italian.

From that day on I decided he was dumb.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    I remember him complaining at Ferrari that it wasn't fair that Alain Prost spoke Italian.

Classic Mansell foot in mouth. Brain engagement before speach not a speciality
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts

Yes it's true Mansell had questionable man-management skills, used the word 'understeer' as if it was a derogatory slur and was somewhat psychologically flawed against his peers but his priority was to excite the fans - more often than not he would make an effort to sign autographs compared to some drivers - that sort of thing can make you enjoy a race meeting 10 times over.

There are other race drivers out there with a Jekyll & Hyde personalities - can create excitement on the race track and yet can create hatred once they take off their helmets and/or behind closed doors - JPM being a good recent example in F1, Carl Edwards, Kyle Busch and Tony Stewart being good examples in NASCAR right now.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pressures ofgetting to and being at the top, I suppose...

Jean-Marie Balestre = DING! DING! DING! Top prize!

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Now on that I do agree.

I don't think Roebuck can use a keyboard without typing the word "Gilles".
    Too true. Why he is regarded as one of the best F1 journalists is waaay beyond me. He just writes about Gilles...and finds seemingly any excuse to bring him into a story. "So, now traction control has been banned it reminds me of a time in 1978 when...."

When speaking of characters, I have to say Michael Schumacher, especially when you see some of his more private interviews, and his earlier days when he would be a bit more frank in interviews around the track.

I agree totally about Piquet being a great character, he was my first favourite driver, and I never cared much for Mansell anyhow, but you couldn't argue with a lot of his driving!

However, one guy who is such a character yet rarely gets mentioned as a great of the sport or a notable character is one Niki Lauda.
    A great bloke, frank and also intelligent, achieved a lot but wasn't afraid to take on the establishment and would absolutely not be interrupted if trying to make a point!

As for others, I can think of a couple who sadly never really got that far in F1, one being Alex Zanardi, where the US got to see most of his great driving and his character, but he was a great character in the F1 paddock, and it's great to see him about in WTCC nowadays

And of course from a similar period of time Gerhard Berger.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Osella
    Too true. Why he is regarded as one of the best F1 journalists is waaay beyond me. He just writes about Gilles...and finds seemingly any excuse to bring him into a story. "So, now traction control has been banned it reminds me of a time in 1978 when...."

When speaking of characters, I have to say Michael Schumacher, especially when you see some of his more private interviews, and his earlier days when he would be a bit more frank in interviews around the track.

I agree totally about Piquet being a great character, he was my first favourite driver, and I never cared much for Mansell anyhow, but you couldn't argue with a lot of his driving!

However, one guy who is such a character yet rarely gets mentioned as a great of the sport or a notable character is one Niki Lauda.
    A great bloke, frank and also intelligent, achieved a lot but wasn't afraid to take on the establishment and would absolutely not be interrupted if trying to make a point!

As for others, I can think of a couple who sadly never really got that far in F1, one being Alex Zanardi, where the US got to see most of his great driving and his character, but he was a great character in the F1 paddock, and it's great to see him about in WTCC nowadays

And of course from a similar period of time Gerhard Berger.
    But the only reason he alway's writes about is because he had many stories to remember about Gilles? Making him, oh my god, a character of the sport?

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    I want to preface what I'm about to write by saying in my 54 years on this planet I never followed motor-sports closely until the speedchannel came along. I remember seeing Jackie Stewart race, and being impressed. We didn't get allot of F1 in the states, and I was into more conventional American sports.
    I have a vague recollection of the rage that was IL Lion! The only American motor-sport I watched at all was the Indy 500. OK! One year (I could look it up but I just want to retell it the way I remember it). It was in the 80's or maybe early 90's I was at a friends (who was a bit of a motor-head), with another good friend drinking beer, smoking, and joking our way through the Indy 500
    I don't recall the specifics of the race, but the winner was Emerson Fittipaldi
    Emo is in the winner's circle with a trophy and is handed the traditional bottle of milk that the winner traditionally takes a slug off of. Emo say "No I don't drink! Not good for you!” My buddy says in a mellow yet assertive way "drink the leche Emo" and we are all talking to the TV and encouraging him to drink the milk! But he refuses the milk saying "juice, orange juice is good! No milk!
    Were yelling at the TV "Come on Dude drink the leche "The presenters are beside themselves not knowing exactly what to do They went to commercial, and evidently got Emo to agree to a photo with his lips on the bottle of milk. It wasn't on the broadcast. But as I recall an article in the sports page explained what a health nut he was, and owned Orange Groves in Brazil. Some one else in this forum knows these details much better than I have explained them. But I always admired Emo after that, even though it was closer to the twilight of his career. Evidently the American Dairy Association
    didn't find it at all amusing. Then I realized the Influence of Corporate Sponsorship in Auto racing for the first time! Sorry to bore you with all that. At the Time it seemed priceless!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Osella
    You can add to that his repetition of stories about Keke Rosberg, his endless parroting of his unthinkingly right-wing political position (which normally prefaces a story about something in 1978 ) and his constant references to Bernie Ecclestone being 'at heart, a racer'. Watch out for how often the last one comes up in particular. I bet that he uses it if he comes to write about his ultimatum to the Australian GP organisers.

Liked 1,254 Times in 682 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    You can add to that his repetition of stories about Keke Rosberg, his endless parroting of his unthinkingly right-wing political position (which normally prefaces a story about something in 1978 ) and his constant references to Bernie Ecclestone being 'at heart, a racer'. Watch out for how often the last one comes up in particular. I bet that he uses it if he comes to write about his ultimatum to the Australian GP organisers.
    Yeah, that always makes me chuckle, I would say, 'at heart, used car salesman'
    If he was a racer, he'd make decisions with the best interests of the sport, not $$$$££££

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???