Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

That dangerous hairpin at Montreal

I am stunned that the hairping is so dangerous, with the cars going in opposite directions separated by a low wall. Had Kubica's car gone over that stub wall (as Martin commented) and hit another car going in the opposite direction, somebody would have been killed.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't think it's a big deal. It basically happens at every circuit: if a car cuts before a turn and keeps going, it will cross the track eventually, and could crash on another car. The only real solution to that is to race on an oval or similar.
    You can't make a person love another person. You can only pray for it.

Stupid rules => stupid consequences :s

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tinchote
    I don't think it's a big deal. It basically happens at every circuit: if a car cuts before a turn and keeps going, it will cross the track eventually, and could crash on another car. The only real solution to that is to race on an oval or similar.

In this particular corner, I think that a higher safety wall is necessary.

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Agreed.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    In this particular corner, I think that a higher safety wall is necessary.
    You're probably right, but I don't recall seeing anyone hit that wall before??? We can all be glad that the wall was just high enough and safe enough this time!
    "You can mop the blood up later." - R.A. Lafferty

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Well, they should highten the wall by a meter or something.

They probably will, given what happened today.
    Iceman: Adjective 1)Rapid, swift 2)Nickname of Kimi-Matias Räikkönen, a legendary Formula 1 driver

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Because oval racing is safer?

I dont have the exact figures but there have been more deaths and serious injuries in Indy racing than formula 1 over the last few years.

Lets not blow this incident out of proportion. Kubica suffered a bad crash but the car protected him, as it is designed to do. We cant make circuits 100% safe and neither should we have a kneejerk reaction to every incident. If we want 100% safety lets pack up now and go home.....

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CroftPilgrim
    Because oval racing is safer?

I dont have the exact figures but there have been more deaths and serious injuries in Indy racing than formula 1 over the last few years.

Lets not blow this incident out of proportion. Kubica suffered a bad crash but the car protected him, as it is designed to do. We cant make circuits 100% safe and neither should we have a kneejerk reaction to every incident. If we want 100% safety lets pack up now and go home.....

I don't think that increasing that dividing wall by a couple of metres is either a kneejerk reaction nor wanting 100% safety. It's just bloody common sense.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It always makes me laugh at how Bernie can criticise Silverstone for having poor facilities but he never says anything about Montreal.
    One of these days someone will be killed because it is simply not safe enough for modern F1 cars.
    Kubica was very lucky that his car did not fly the wall and go on to the otherside of the track collecting another car or perhaps worse ending up in a grandstand.
    Stating the obvious why did the marshalls move Scott Speeds damaged car into a position where there was even the slightest chance another car could hit it?
    In modern F1 safety is paramount and something needs to be done to improve it on that circuit- possibly SAFER barriers like they have on ovals would be a start.
    Message to Ganassi - Get Sterling in the #40 full-time. Those were the days.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But I think that saved Kubica was that he bounced off the concrete wall and kept going down the track, thus disipating the energy in the process. If he'd stopped immediately, against even a 'SAFER' barrier, he probably wouldn't have been so fortunate.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums