Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tamburello
    Actually, Ferrari were interested in signing Bellof, but had Alboreto and Arnoux under contract for the 85 season. When Ferrari sacked Rene after Rio, Tyrell wouldn't let Bellof go...
    According to this profile:
    Tyrrell exercised its option on Bellof for 1985 but there was by then discord in the relationship as Bellof and his manager Willy Maurer argued that Tyrrell had broken the original contract by not competing in the final three races of 1984 (the team had been banned by the FIA as part of the fight between the team and the federation over Tyrrell's refusal to agree to a ban on normally-aspirated engines) and wanted a one-year deal so that the German youngster would be on the market for 1986. As a result he was suspended by Tyrrell in Brazil
    Johansson, who had taken Bellof's place in Brazil, stepped in at Ferrari when Arnoux was sacked. While the Tyrrell contract may have prevented Bellof joining Ferrrai in '85, it seems a move to Maranello in 1986 would have been likely.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Verstappen's "problem" was that he was inconsistent (and several current drivers are also described with the same word), but he definetely had the raw speed and was one of the best drivers in wet conditions. I have always thought he deserved another chance in a top team after Benetton '94, where a mix of inexperience, unluck and favouring of MS resulted in disappointing performances.
    Could that also be said for Mika Salo? I've read that he was highly rated coming in to F1 (mostly due to his battles with Mika Hakkinen) but I don't think he did very much.

What about DC? Would he be considered in this case because he was playing 2nd fiddle to Hakkinen? Or would it be that in his case it was the decisions he made?
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."