Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TMorel
    EasyD
    Compare that to F1
    first corner excitement, the lap either side of the pitstop and then cruise to the flag...

Yup, can really see the difference

(that's not to say I don't love F1, but y'know, it's alright to appreciate other forms of motorsport like NASCAR / WRC / 2CV banger racing and this "ooh they only turn left" crap tends to make me think people are a bit too closed minded to give even the short time to get to know them)
    I still have the freedom to think that Nascar is a stupid sport though.... right?... even if you are able to appreciate everything

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mervyn charter
    NASCAR is a different type of racing that is determined not by who is the fastest driver, but who can get other drivers to work with them in the draft, and strategy revolving around the umpteen yellow flags. Juan Pablo you must be getting tired of going around in circles.

Swallow some pride Juan Pablo, you left F1 in a huff probably after unfairly being blamed for the Indianapolis Crash, but remember you threw away a possible victory the week before in canada with a ill-judged overtaking move on Rosberg.
    1. That only describes pack racing which ecompases a total of 4 races per year. That doesn't seem very significant when there are "about 40 races" per year.
    2. Juan had been planning the move long before Indy. Do you really think Chip Ganassi would hire a guy with no closed cockpit racing expierience just because he suddenly became available?

Quote Originally Posted by eu
    yeah... right! watching some cars turning left in an oval for 4 hours would really keep me up.
    Well who decided that right was so spectacular?

That's not a rhetorical question, feel free to answer.

It's not as though Juan had never been on an oval before he entered F1. He seems to be happy now. He's described driving heavier cars with narrow tires as being like driving in the rain.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I don't know, I'm not sure why he would go back to F1.

You'd think that race car drivers actually.. you know, like to pass people during races.

Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    1. That only describes pack racing which ecompases a total of 4 races per year. That doesn't seem very significant when there are "about 40 races" per year.
    2. Juan had been planning the move long before Indy. Do you really think Chip Ganassi would hire a guy with no closed cockpit racing expierience just because he suddenly became available?

Well who decided that right was so spectacular?

That's not a rhetorical question, feel free to answer.

It's not as though Juan had never been on an oval before he entered F1. He seems to be happy now. He's described driving heavier cars with narrow tires as being like driving in the rain.
    Me. I decide what I post most of the time (I have to say though, I didnīt really understand the question... Itīs rather a wild guess. I hope it fits)...

donīt get offended... Itīs just my personal humble opinion that NASCAR sucks... a matter of taste if you want.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Easy Drifter
    First 25 laps good, last 25 good. In between snore unless they crash and then 20 min of commercials and pace car. Why do you think I call it NAPCAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by eu
    Me. I decide what I post most of the time (I have to say though, I didnīt really understand the question... Itīs rather a wild guess. I hope it fits)...

donīt get offended... Itīs just my personal humble opinion that NASCAR sucks... a matter of taste if you want.
    You two are a showcase of automotive knowledge. If you don't like NASCAR, then the least you could do is respect the sport. I used to be a fan of NASCAR and switched to WRC because it suited my style of racing much more. I don't like stock car racing anymore, but at least I won't speak of it in a degrading manner.

As I stated before that if there is a spot open in F1 then JPM would be a shoe-in in my book. If wants to stay here in America and find a way to win, well that's fine as well.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Quote Originally Posted by POS_Maggott
    I don't know, I'm not sure why he would go back to F1.

You'd think that race car drivers actually.. you know, like to pass people during races.
    If I were a race car driver I would prefer not to pass anyone.... I'd rather start from pole position and finish first with now event between the two...
    I'm sure JPM wouldn't might doing that in F1... and you wouldn't hear Juan's fans then complaining about how boring f1 is...

Quote Originally Posted by killincommies
    You two are a showcase of automotive knowledge. If you don't like NASCAR, then the least you could do is respect the sport. I used to be a fan of NASCAR and switched to WRC because it suited my style of racing much more. I don't like stock car racing anymore, but at least I won't speak of it in a degrading manner.

As I stated before that if there is a spot open in F1 then JPM would be a shoe-in in my book. If wants to stay here in America and find a way to win, well that's fine as well.
    Okay... I respect NASCAR! it's a super fine sport...

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mervyn charter
    NASCAR is a different type of racing that is determined not by who is the fastest driver, but who can get other drivers to work with them in the draft, and strategy revolving around the umpteen yellow flags.
    You've obviously never seen a NASCAR race...
    2008 NASCAR CUP SCRAMBLE CHAMPION

Liked 65 Times in 42 Posts
    I don't think you can compare passing on an oval to that of passing on a "proper" race track. They're two completely different things. The former is more about getting your car in the correct position to catch the slipstream, or draft as the Americans call it, and then pulling out an completing the pass. The latter often starts the same way, with the use of the slipstream, but has the added complication of needing to break later for the corner and having the correct line for the next corner.

Personally, I don't find the type of passing you get on an oval all that exciting. NASCAR, therefore, holds little interest for me. That's not to say it's bad racing, if you like that sort of thing.

As for JPM returning to F1, he could do it today if he wanted to. I'm sure most of the teams in the bottom half of the grid would take him in a second. I don't think, however, that JPM would take that option just to get back on the F1 grid. He has too much pride, or ego, for that. He wouldn't have quit F1 the way he did if he didn't.
    Forza Ferrari!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I wouldnt really say its a matter of oval vs road racing with the passing. I've seen plenty of road races with many, many passes. Many lead changes and constant battles for the lead. But when I watch a Formula One race, I'm watching the leader invariably pull out to a huge lead, with everyone behind him struggling in dirty air.

Road racing can provide very good racings, and I agree that its not fair to compare oval to road racing, but what you're getting in Formula One these days is essentially 50-70 really fast parade laps, showcasing the starting grid, with the occasional pass, generally as a result of pitstops and pit strategy.

Thats not very good racing, is it?