Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Oh good, another backmarker. I havnt seen anything from her sportscar racing that would suggest she is any good for such top flight racing. The number of reports I read a couple of years ago from the Grand-Am that said of Andy Wallace fighting for the lead, only for the car to drop like a stone down the order when Milka Duno got in the car and Andy having to fight back up late in the race. Not a good idea IMO.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Milka Duno in the IRL, so Danika Patrick must be aware, a great female rival is coming
    Subaru World Rally champion...in 2008 :D

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by indycool
    Jag, think we need to keep in mind that it's the car owners, not the IRL or CC, that are putting women drivers in cars. Indeed, NASCAR has a diversity program starting from the ground up and some of its major car owners are backing the Erin Crockers and Allison Duncans to see if they can make it.

The car owners that select women seem to do it for different reasons. In the case of Milka, it would seem like dollars are the case. In the case of Sarah, she won a pole and led races and didn't have any money. In the case of Danica, she was being brought along by Rahal and suddenly blossomed into a driver on ovals. In the case of Katherine, she tested an IPS car for Nunn, wound up in Atlantics, won three races and got promoted (some would say over some more talented male drivers, but they would say that about ANY of these women).

In the case of Milka, I, too, have reservations. I saw her run in the old Women's Global GT Series, too. Ovals will be new to her. She'll "get it" quick like Danica did, or won't get it at all, like other male road racers who came before her.
    Hopefully the IRL and Champ Car will learn something from the Paul Dana incident. Even if they're nice, neat and popular (well funded) people, having drivers out there who are CLEARLY not up to the task is not right
    Indy, I'm not restricting my comments to Milka, Katherine and Sarah... and they don't apply to just women racers. They apply to any and all drivers who are there just to fill a space or need. Because the driver demand for open wheel seats in the U.S. is currently so low, we'll probably see more of this, IMO. And it's CCWS and the IRL that approves or disapproves drivers, not the teams. For the right money, some of these teams would probably strap Bobo the chimp into a car and turn him loose.

And don't get me wrong, if I was running the IRL or Champ Car, I'm sure I'd promote anything and anyone who could draw a crowd too. But hopefully I would also establish certain standards and rules that would lessen the chances of an unprepared or unqualified person starting a race. But right now, both leagues have grid spots to fill ASAP.

A friend of mine who is big into NHRA drag racing thinks the other series' (and their fans') odd fascination with female racers is humorous. Female racers in NHRA are sort of common. So I see his point.

Erin Crocker... I was really pulling for her. She should have kept her eye on the prize. I would say the same thing for Evernham. Shame, shame, shame...

JMHO
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jarrambide
    Mico Mandante Hugo
    good one

As for Milka, never thought she was a great driver in her Grand-Am days, surely she isn't championship material(or even winning material), but she isn't the first or the last untalented driver that lands on IRL, she will do great in a marketing point of view for the Spanish speaking South American market
    Fan of Timo Glock and proud of it! :champion: 3 podiums, new start as a Virgin :p

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    -She's very intelligent and doesn't drive over her head.
    -Her endurance racing experience will translate well to long races like Indy.
    -She's been racing in traffic for years. Look at ALMS.

She may not be the fastest driver and this won't exactly be the fastest team, but don't be expecting dumb mistakes. And don't go thinking she's somehow at any more risk than any other driver in the series.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    I'll be happier if you're right than if I'm right, Z's. I certainly don't WANT to see her fail.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have my doubts on the team or race happening. Cahill hasn't entered a car since '01 and wasn't exactly a solid midpack team then. The two car team sounds like a carrot to get the race scheduled. Street races are marginally profitable only after a few years, and it may pull local resources still better spent on others things.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarcoCheever

Indy Star reports that Milka will drive for Cahill racing any thoughts or info
    ...who?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    She sure seems like an odd choice to me. She's not all that competitive in a much slower Grand Am car.

At last, some competition for Marty Roth!
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZzZzZz
    -She's very intelligent and doesn't drive over her head.
    -Her endurance racing experience will translate well to long races like Indy.
    -She's been racing in traffic for years. Look at ALMS.

She may not be the fastest driver and this won't exactly be the fastest team, but don't be expecting dumb mistakes. And don't go thinking she's somehow at any more risk than any other driver in the series.
    She could surprise on ovals and do much better than Queen Patrick at Sonoma, St. Pete's and Watkins Glen.