Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Spectating Finland - tips needed

Hi

I havent been to rally finland since 1996, so it is about time. My trip is booked and I will be there two days - friday and saturday. We will stay in Tampere (they had hotel rooms left).

Last time I went there I got stuck in queues for 6 hrs... terrible. Therefore Im trying something new - motorcykle! An African twinn!

So - where and wich stages must I see?

What are the possibilities to "walk around"? Are you stuck at spectator areas or can you walk to your own spots?

Prefferable I would like to visit high speed jumps and fast corners.

Thanks!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    For sure you are more stuck to spectator areas than 1996. If you want to take own spot be there in advance and be "invisible" so they don't notice you.

By motorcycle you can beat the queues, more or less.

For saturday there are basicly two alternatives: go to Ouninpohja (driven twice) and stay there or NOT go to Ouninpohja but instead e.g Juupajoki - Leustu - Ehikki (driven twice).

Friday has more possibilities. And always things are little different if you watch just top cars and try to see more stages. But remember, polices with radars are out there!!!

For finding jumps and fast corners buy VM (Vauhdin Maailma) Rally Finland special issue as soon as you arrive and study the route, basicly every good spot is on those "pacenotes".

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    High speed jumps and fast corners??? There's hardly any of those in NORF

All that ettelbruck told above is true. Following the top cars from stage to stage is the best way to be jammed as many other will do the same. Motorcycle will help a bit but still, expect to queue. If you spend more time at stages, the biggest rush will be over and it's easier ( and quicker) to travel. Don't try to make too ambitious plan! Make sure you take enough time to get from stage to stage.

The most famous spot are usually crowded and also there are many marshalls. if you want to walk around and find your own private spot, dive in to forest and sneak there for a while. But, there will be a chopper to spot out those who try to get own places which are not considered as safe.

And buy that Vauhdin Maailma. It's pretty handy. you can get your rally pass from Neste gas station too.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From what I've seen on TV and DVDs it looks like the part after (1 km) the famous jump at Ouninphja seems to be fast and quite safe.

Is it really worth thinking about going there....? Where do ou park? Do you reach that area from the north (road E63).

The part about 2 km before also seems nice. Was that where Sordo had his big impact last year?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you want to go the THE jump (yellow house, used to be white house), be in time, so many others go there.

Previous couple of kms are nice, there is e.g. the spot where Lindholm lost his lead on 307. Those places are not that crowded (believe me, my wife is 153cm tall - so we has to find place where she can easily see!) but small forest roads from E63 are very crowded, as also the parking areas. However, even by car I would drive to those and see just two stages than walk from jammed E63.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ettelbruck
    If you want to go the THE jump (yellow house, used to be white house), be in time, so many others go there.

Previous couple of kms are nice, there is e.g. the spot where Lindholm lost his lead on 307. Those places are not that crowded (believe me, my wife is 153cm tall - so we has to find place where she can easily see!) but small forest roads from E63 are very crowded, as also the parking areas. However, even by car I would drive to those and see just two stages than walk from jammed E63.
    One tip more. If you want to go to the yellow house jump, just hope for the best. Three years ago I was there with couple of forumers and it didn't help how early we were there. The place was so crowded that I basicly saw the roofs of the ccar when they jump behind the people.

Three kilometers before the jumps there are excellent locations to spectate.

Also, the place where Sordo ( and Garde ) rolled and crashed are pretty good too.

BTW. ettelbruck, my wife is 155 cm. It's nice to be married with a hobbit :
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Now my MC-friend has change his mind, so there wount be an MC. But instead Im thinking about bringing my mountainbike and (if I decide to go to Ouninpohja) park along E63 and cykle the rest of the km down to the stage.

The yellow house-jump Im not really interested in. Ive been to Colins Crest in sweden too many times. But hte spot(s) 3 km before sounds interesting. On the map it looks like you could get there from the north (E63), about 3 km.

Your rekommedation (3 km before the jums), is it near by the lake Naarajärvi (north of the stage)?

BTW - thanks for all the tips so far!

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Ok, I should have been more specific. There are many good spectating points throughout three kilometers to the start from the yellow house jump. Sorry, my bad
    Another Flying Finn

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonte
    My trip is booked and I will be there two days - friday and saturday. We will stay in Tampere
    As you stay in Tampere you can drive through Ouninpohja on Friday as it's on your way to/from stages on Friday and that way find the best place for you to spectate.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    BTW. ettelbruck, my wife is 155 cm. It's nice to be married with a hobbit :
    count me in :
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.