Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Maybe you're not paying enough attention to the rallying scene in the US. Similar things were said about F1 20 years ago, now they can't get enough of it.
    What's special about this? You can find bigger and better entry lists in tiny European countries. The typical American rally entry list is usually dominated by old Imprezas from the 90's.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/8...ft-rally-2024/

Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by focus206 View Post
    What's special about this? You can find bigger and better entry lists in tiny European countries. The typical American rally entry list is usually dominated by old Imprezas from the 90's.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/final/8...ft-rally-2024/
    Show me the Chinese entry lists then we'll have the conversation.
    "It's not sport!" - Gilles Panizzi

Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    Show me the Chinese entry lists then we'll have the conversation.
    I wasn't the one who proposed China, but here you go. Looks marginally better and definitely bigger I'd say. And this is their second rally after 2 or 3 years of stoppage because of covid.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries...-longyou-2023/

I wasn't the one who proposed China, but here you go. Looks marginally better and definitely bigger I'd say. And this is their second rally after 2 or 3 years of stoppage because of covid.
    https://www.ewrc-results.com/entries...-longyou-2023/
    If you overlook the national/regional thing you can add another 23 to the Snodrift numbers = 43, versus 57 on snow in WRC Sweden, it's not bad. 100 Acre wood last week was 58. Olympus and Oregon get 70 odd, which is more likely comparable in stature to that FIA APRC round, which BTW, is also full of 90s cars.

But this is a pointless numberwang game. Safari this weekend proves you don't need a packed local entry list to get the WRC there. USA has a team organising an event and is talking with the promotor and FIA. That's what matters. Grassroots motorsport such as sprints are popular there, no point comparing it with Europe, and it's a popular WRC subscriber market. You cannot say nobody is interested in rally there - base point.

I don't know about the Chinese scene, but I will bet though that Chinese manufacturers would want an electric series for the global stage, but by the time that happens the tariffs and trade (cold) wars will have killed any slim chance.

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deephouse View Post
    Funny how only asphalt events are always hanging on thread. But when it comes to random european gravel events, it's not a problem at all. I think that China should be on calendar as soon as possible. Their rising in automotive industry could be crucial. Or Malaysia (that could bring interest of maybe Proton). No they are rather focusing on USA (americans doesn't really care about this sport) and Saudi. Stupid money.
    Wales lost spot similar way to Corsica and Deutschland and Poland/Latvia/Estonia are cannibalizing each other.

I don't think having local WRC rally will significantly spike up interest in both China and USA. Even in F1 Netflix series was bigger difference maker than race in Austin itself. It makes more sense for me to build interest in Mexico or Argentina than trying to be noticed in crowded US sports market. There were also few attempts to conquer China and it always failed.

6. Likes: J4MIE (28th March 2024)
    Liked 1,481 Times in 844 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backa View Post
    Wales lost spot similar way to Corsica and Deutschland and Poland/Latvia/Estonia are cannibalizing each other.

I don't think having local WRC rally will significantly spike up interest in both China and USA. Even in F1 Netflix series was bigger difference maker than race in Austin itself. It makes more sense for me to build interest in Mexico or Argentina than trying to be noticed in crowded US sports market. There were also few attempts to conquer China and it always failed.
    Does France still run an event in Corsica? And I’m aware Wales have the new asphalt rally but is the event from 2019 dead at this point? Deutschland’s rallye is as good as dead as well? But each have their reasons for not being run at this point in time.
    China might be a dead end, but a rally in the US, I hope we’ll get to see, and then we’ll have better understanding of it’s impact on american rallying and interest in the WRC in the states.
    Only you know your true potential.
    This year we rally #ForCraig

Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    The Rally GB event doesn’t run anymore. The was always other events using the forests at different times anyway.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!

Liked 53 Times in 24 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Backa View Post

I'm sorry for being that honest, but entries etc are not key factor for hosting a WRC event. The 1 Million euros WRC calendar fee does. All the rest is just chit-chat.

As for the USA event, let's keep in mind Americans wants "extreme" and epic events. I can see it would work very well and if Ford will keep being involved (hopefully more extensively than it is now) that would work brilliantly.
    Last edited by typhoon; 28th March 2024 at 09:33.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
    I'm sorry for being that honest, but entries etc are not key factor for hosting a WRC event. The 1 Million euros WRC calendar fee does. All the rest is just chit-chat.
    Everyone knows that. But that won't stop us from talking about how Saudi Arabia, a country with no rallies, doesn't deserve a spot on the calendar. Otherwise one just smiles and accepts silently anything they shovel at this sport.

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
    As for the USA event, let's keep in mind Americans wants "extreme" and epic events. I can see it would work very well and if Ford will keep being involved (hopefully more extensively than it is now) that would work brilliantly.
    Was the WRC Olympus Rally in the 80's extreme and epic? Is any of their national event even on par with random European national rallies? Hell, even their beloved NASCAR is the most boring motorsport I can think of and the opposite of what I would imagine when hearing "extreme" and "epic".

11. Likes: Eli (28th March 2024),steve.mandzij (30th March 2024)
    Hell, even their beloved NASCAR is the most boring motorsport I can think of and the opposite of what I would imagine when hearing "extreme" and "epic".
    I agree through tv, but I wouldn't say that stood here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bldWv4fbnaY