Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,795 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saco0o View Post
    fck yeaah, mcrae is in! idk if he will do the full season but it was awesome to watch his win in magyarorszag.
    lukyanuk is back. thats going to be a fun watch!
    Max McRae mentioned many times that Junior ERC is his priority, so it is not surprise he will be in Canarias...

2. Likes: saco0o (21st April 2024)
    Liked 9,366 Times in 4,979 Posts
    I hope these demonstrations wont affect the rally.

https://news.sky.com/story/thousands...mbers-13119441

Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    I hope these demonstrations wont affect the rally.

https://news.sky.com/story/thousands...mbers-13119441
    There won't be any problem. Don't worry.

On Saturday there were demonstrations asking for the money generated by tourism to be distributed among the people from Islas Canarias (Canary Island), and for the salaries of the Canary Islanders working in tourist companies to be raised.

The demonstration was not against tourists nor against the tourism sector.

The demonstrations were attended by around 80,000 people, in the Canary Islands there are 2,200,000 people living...

5. Likes: WRC1 (22nd April 2024)
    Liked 5,566 Times in 2,299 Posts

7. Likes: Mirek (23rd April 2024),steve.mandzij (25th April 2024)
    Liked 9,366 Times in 4,979 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 106 sport View Post
    There won't be any problem. Don't worry.

On Saturday there were demonstrations asking for the money generated by tourism to be distributed among the people from Islas Canarias (Canary Island), and for the salaries of the Canary Islanders working in tourist companies to be raised.

The demonstration was not against tourists nor against the tourism sector.

The demonstrations were attended by around 80,000 people, in the Canary Islands there are 2,200,000 people living...
    I hope you're right.

(The demos were also about excessive tourist numbers and the effect on the natural environment. Such people can also see a rally in the the same way).

9. Likes: J4MIE (26th April 2024),WRC1 (23rd April 2024)
    Liked 357 Times in 192 Posts
    Only example of politics getting in the way of motorsport in the Canaries I can remember because I was there for the rally which didnt happen, was on Lanzarote a couple of years ago when Volcanes got cancelled after all the Spanish championship crews had already landed on the Island.

It would appear two big proposed developments in the south of Tenerife have been the catalyst for the protests and have to say I sympathise with the cause as the organisers are realistic in that they acknowledge tourism's part in their GDP but want a balance. It's a cause that will spread throughout a lot of places in the coming months and years I think.

Liked 66 Times in 47 Posts
    There was an interview with one of the protesters sounded like the situation is a more extreme version of other tourist places where the long time locals get forced out by the increase in costs of everything, when rich people come to use your area for leisure or others come to seek a way of making money off the leisure seekers.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...sm-2024-04-20/

Liked 128 Times in 69 Posts
    I am from Gran Canaria.

I am absolutely convinced that there will be no problem with the rally.

Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
    off topic but here in my country we have this cool island at the coast (ilhabela) and there were some push from the state government (sao paulo) for a huge bridge to be built in order to conect the continent to the island. nowadays you can only cross it by ferris. the project was rejected by almost 100% of the people that live on the island. they know they need the tourism to survive but conecting the island to the continent with a bridge would ruin everything, cuz the next obvious step would be to increase the island's infraestructure in order to the (what would be) huuuge increase in people going into the place. that would ruin the natural aspect of the place, cost of living would sky rocket and the rich a$$holes would have a easier way of building huge skyscrapers on the island (easy to transport the materials). anyway, back to european talk with you guys

Liked 310 Times in 150 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal yet again View Post
    Only example of politics getting in the way of motorsport in the Canaries I can remember because I was there for the rally which didnt happen, was on Lanzarote a couple of years ago when Volcanes got cancelled after all the Spanish championship crews had already landed on the Island.
    So was I Quite big shock when you get to know during airport security check that you are flying almost for nothing. Almost, because island is beatiful

15. Likes: Sal yet again (26th April 2024)