Page 79 of 95 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    Seems that we just have 2 different problems to choose from: boring Sundays or an unfair points system.

The new points system achieves its goal: it makes Sundays more interesting. I think today could be quite boring cruising to watch without the new point system. But.. is the outcome as points fair, not sure. It's anyway a different game now and everyone knows the rules.

The real problem is the lack of competitors and no cosmetic fix changes that.

2. Likes: Morte66 (18th February 2024),skarderud (18th February 2024)
    Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    The rally winner in Sweden is leaving with less points than the driver who finished second...
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

4. Likes: Rallyper (18th February 2024),WRC1 (18th February 2024)
    Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfiend View Post
    We now have a points system that pushes the drivers to be fast all the time.

I see nothing wrong with that.
    Thats not true. Because of current system, Lappi and Fourmaux were cruising today as they have nothing to win, only loose. Katsuta was not pushing also as he knows that first on the road he has no chance for any good result.

6. Likes: Rallyper (18th February 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by meh View Post
    Seems that we just have 2 different problems to choose from: boring Sundays or an unfair points system.

The new points system achieves its goal: it makes Sundays more interesting. I think today could be quite boring cruising to watch without the new point system. But.. is the outcome as points fair, not sure. It's anyway a different game now and everyone knows the rules.

The real problem is the lack of competitors and no cosmetic fix changes that.
    Really do you think that this system makes Sunday more interesting?

Liked 12,211 Times in 5,243 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Really do you think that this system makes Sunday more interesting?
    you have to be blind not to see its more interesting

with old system they would have just cruised in the morning today, now you can see the drivers on the limit and pushing all stages, at least the top ones.
    #8 Ott Tänak - Martin Järveoja #8
    - World Rally Champions 2019 -

9. Likes: drive (18th February 2024),ELPE (18th February 2024),Tauri_J (18th February 2024)
    Liked 177 Times in 108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    Thats not true. Because of current system, Lappi and Fourmaux were cruising today as they have nothing to win, only loose. Katsuta was not pushing also as he knows that first on the road he has no chance for any good result.
    Lappi would have been cruising anyways and Katsuta was pushing, he made a mistake.

Liked 713 Times in 337 Posts
    Great for Lappi, really pleased for him. I always like to see the underdog do well and we had Fourmaux up there as well, unexpectedly I would say.

The points thing is a bit of mess, I understand the idea but awarding Fourmaux 2nd place points for finishing 3rd is a nonsense. I’m sure others have previously said, for me better to award the rally points at the end, but keep the additional points for the sunday stages.
    In this case it actually worked against Fourmaux trying on Sunday as he had already got the points for 2nd on Saturday, so didn’t want to push on Sunday….

Liked 1,621 Times in 737 Posts
    From the rally - it provided some fresh faces to the podium and stats. We can go to the pickems and see, how many predicted Fourmaux to be on the podium. (Not me, for sure).

The winter rally is anyway so unfair in many ways, like Neuville losing a crazy amount of time for opening the road.

The season is long, but Tänak has not been his life easy to achieve another title. From the title-fight perspective, Evans did really well and Neuville did good damage limitation for the already mentioned road-position disadvantage.

Nice battles in Rally2 behind Solberg's domination. Happy, and a bit surprised that Linnamäe was able to provide a good fight against Pajari. At the same time, Pajari was quite far away from Solberg.

13. Likes: cali (18th February 2024)
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    you have to be blind not to see its more interesting

with old system they would have just cruised in the morning today, now you can see the drivers on the limit and pushing all stages, at least the top ones.
    Am I blind or you are?

But in general, it was really interesting rally to follow. Finally we had proper winter conditions, with the weather it was really changeable and unpredictable, Rally2 drivers were able to be faster than Rally1, two fastest drivers crashed early on beginning of the rally. So in basic it was full of interesting stories, all the time something happened.