F1 News: Mercedes monitoring Carlos Sainz for 2025.
Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff says Carlos Sainz is a realistic option for 2025.
May 8, 2024
Jaden Diaz-Ndisang
Last Word On Sports

Mercedes mention Carlos Sainz as a potential candidate. Still, the Mercedes team principal believes every option is worth exploring. Speaking of which, he mentioned Carlos Sainz as a viable option for the team: “I think we’ve talked about the possibilities,” Sky Sports quotes him as saying.

“I want to be fair to these guys and not make it look like we are playing chess with humans. Because we are not doing that. I think we want to take our time, see where Max’s thinking goes. And at the same time, monitor the other drivers. Carlos [Sainz] was very strong in Miami again and that’s why we are a little bit in observation mode at the moment.”

Sainz and Verstappen obviously represent the more established targets for Mercedes. On the opposite side of the spectrum, Kimi Antonelli is still being evaluated. The 17-year-old continues to rack up significant mileage in F1 machinery. Toto Wolff has been careful to try and minimise the hype surrounding Kimi Antonelli. However, at this stage, the F1 news space is littered with articles about the Italian.

‘Mercedes monitoring Carlos Sainz for 2025’;

https://lastwordonsports.com/motorsp...ainz-for-2025/

Mystic Carlos Sainz and his in-race prediction that came true for ‘deserving’ rival
06 May 2024 10:30 AM
Michelle Foster
PlanetF1.com

Sainz and Norris had been battling for position at the Miami International Autodrome on a Sunday in which Max Verstappen led the opening stint, although wasn’t able to scamper off as he had in recent races. The Grand Prix, though, was turned on its head when the Safety Car was deployed after Kevin Magnussen took out Logan Sargeant. Sainz had just pitted, but Norris had yet to stop.

Norris was able to make a free pit stop behind the Safety Car, pitting from first and coming back out P1 to line up ahead of Verstappen for the restart. Sainz, with a choice word followed by a “this is so unlucky”, told his pitwall: “Lando is going to lead the race no? He’s going to win!”

‘Mystic Carlos Sainz and his in-race prediction’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/carlos...eserving-rival

Sainz baffled by ‘strange change of behaviour from the car from FP1 to Sprint Qualifying’
03 May 2024
Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Carlos Sainz was left scratching his head after his Ferrari felt very different in Sprint Qualifying, as he took P5 in the session.

‘Scratching his head’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/video/sa...72402309914802

‘Had to be aggressive’: Carlos Sainz penalised after costly move ruins Oscar Piastri’s race
May 6th, 2024 11:11 am
Fox Sports from Fox Sports
Fox Sports (Australia)

Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz has copped a five-second time penalty following a mid-race collision with McLaren driver Oscar Piastri during Monday morning’s Miami Grand Prix. On the 35th lap of the race, later won by McLaren’s Lando Norris, Sainz attempted to overtake Piastri and poach fourth place, with the Australian pushing him wide while jostling for position.

The Spaniard was adamant that Piastri deserved a penalty for the incident, calling for the 23-year-old to give up the position — but the stewards disagreed. “Just tell him to give me the position and he doesn’t get a penalty,” Sainz was overheard saying on the team radio.

‘Carlos Sainz penalised’;

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...d66bb68c2f3b0f

‘You’re talking too much’: Frustrated Sainz was ‘one lap from winning’ Miami GP
Carlos Sainz Jnr unsuccessfully called for Sergio Perez and Oscar Piastri to receive penalties during the Miami Grand prix – but did collect one himself.
9th May 2024, 12:19
Written by Keith Collantine
RaceFans

Sainz launched away from third place superbly, immediately overtaking his second-placed team mate Charles Leclerc and tucking in behind Max Verstappen. Then Sergio Perez came flying down the inside, forcing Sainz to move wide. Leclerc retook the position through turn one and left little room for his team mate at the exit, allowing Oscar Piastri to demote Sainz another place. He was not impressed.
Sainz What the f**k was that?
Adami I saw it. Checo 0.7 behind.
Sainz It should be a penalty, he nearly took us off.
Adami Understood. We are talking.
The stewards reviewed the start and decided not to penalise Perez, who braked so late for the first corner he went off on the outside.

“I have a five-second penalty or what?” : Fearing Sainz might receive a five-second time penalty, Ferrari advised him to build up as much of a gap as he could over Perez and Lewis Hamilton behind.
Lap: 56/57 SAI: 1’31.062
Adami Hamilton lap time 31.2. He is behind Checo. He is 4.3 behind us.
Sainz So what do we need five seconds to Hamilton?
Adami Five seconds, yeah.
Sainz ‘I have a five-second penalty or what?
Adami Not yet. Just in case, just do fastest race ’til the end.

‘Unsuccessfully called for Sergio Perez and Oscar Piastri to receive penalties - but did collect one himself’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/09/...ning-in-miami/

Sainz hit with time penalty, drops to fifth
07:06 Mon, 06 May 2024.
Balazs Szabo
F1 Technical

The full statement read: “The Stewards heard from the driver of Car 81 (Oscar Piastri), the driver of Car 55 (Carlos Sainz), team representatives and reviewed video evidence and determined that Car 55 was overtaking Car 81 at Turn 17 when he lost the rear slightly and collided with Car 81. The collision resulted in damage to the front wing of Car 81.”

“It was clear to us that Car 55 was to blame for the collision. In the overtake attempt, Car 55 braked late, missed the apex and in the process lost the rear, with the resulting collision. Although Car 81 was trying to turn in to counter the overtaking attempt, Car 81 gave sufficient room to Car 55. In the circumstances, we find Car 55 to be predominantly to blame for the collision.”

“In this case, we took into account, as mitigating factors, the fact that but for the slight loss of control of the rear by Car 55, the collision would likely not have happened and it would have been hard but good racing. The standard penalty for a collision is 10 seconds with 2 penalty points. In light of the mitigating circumstances, we therefore impose a 5 second time penalty with 1 penalty point.”

‘Sainz drops to fifth’;

https://www.f1technical.net/news/24529

Carlos Sainz’s 2025 Formula 1 team suggested after reported Audi rejection
Wed 8 May 2024 16:00
Ben Evans
F1 Oversteer

Another Formula 1 race weekend has come and gone and Ferrari driver Carlos Sainz is no closer to knowing where he’s going to be driving next season. After losing his seat to Lewis Hamilton before the 2024 campaign even began, Carlos Sainz has been out to prove to the other team principals on the grid that he’s worth taking a punt on.

Speaking about the driver’s market, Hauraney said: “Sergio [Perez] was a bit of a concern I think this weekend. I mean, he was off the pace this weekend and that seat at Red Bull, that second seat is open.” His co-host Adam Wylde added: “And it’s rumoured that Carlos [Sainz] is not going to sign with Audi now.”

Hauraney replied: “That’s what I heard as well. Yes, I think he could possibly not sign there. I think for Carlos, he wants to go somewhere where he can win. I’m still going with my Mercedes call on this one, I still sticking with that. I just don’t see him going back to Red Bull.”

‘Mercedes call on this one’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/car...udi-rejection/

Sainz may be getting nervous about 2025 seat
MAY 8, 2024
GrandPrix.com

As for Sainz's chances at Mercedes, Toto Wolff is openly waiting to see if Max Verstappen might suddenly emerge on the market. But Wolff denied that he is grooming 17-year-old Kimi Antonelli for the 2025 seat - perhaps beginning with an immediate leap into F1 with Williams.

“Why would you apply for a dispensation for a super license if you don't want to let him race?” wonders Dutch broadcaster Olav Mol. “Why let him do a qualifying and race simulation at Imola”? he added, referring to Antonelli's recent outing in the 2022 Mercedes. “When the team bosses start denying, you know it's true”, Mol laughed.

‘Getting nervous’;

https://www.grandprix.com/news/sainz...2025-seat.html