Mark Hughes: Superb Norris stunned Ferrari - and McLaren.
The mystery was much more about Lando Norris’ superb second position, his McLaren comfortably defeating Sergio Perez’s Red Bull and both Ferraris in a straight fight. But we’ll come to that in a moment.
Apr 21, 2024
by Mark Hughes
The Race

When the safety car then came out, bunching the field up and obliging Red Bull to pit both cars so as to make their second stops without a disastrous loss of places, Verstappen rejoined still leading but Perez had dropped back behind Leclerc. Passing the Ferrari for a second time took so much from his tyres that he was not able to pose a threat to Norris despite there being 17 laps left.

“Once you’re fighting it’s game over for the tyres,” Perez said. “You use so much of your tyre that they never come back. I paid the price but it was the only way I could get by Charles.” Had he not been so far behind Verstappen at the first stops, he’d conceivably not have exited the second stops behind Leclerc and might therefore have been able to catch and attack Norris.

But he’d been delayed in that first stint by having to get by a briefly starring Fernando Alonso, who’d sliced into second at the start, even taking a nibble at Verstappen. It took five laps for Perez to find a way by the Aston Martin as its tyres wilted. By which time Verstappen was 5.5s up the road.

‘The mystery’;

https://www.the-race.com/formula-1/m...laren-stunned/

McLaren were ‘simply stronger’ than Ferrari in China – Sainz
Posted on 21st April 2024, 14:34
Written by Will Wood
RaceFans

Carlos Sainz Jnr says Ferrari were not as strong as McLaren over the Chinese Grand Prix weekend after the team finished fourth and fifth. It was the first time a McLaren has finished ahead of both Ferraris in a grand prix in 2024 and Sainz believes it was a fair reflection of the relative performance of the two teams in Shanghai.

“I think this weekend they’ve been stronger – simple as that,” Sainz said. “I think McLaren, at this kind of circuit, they’ve shown better pace than us. And even on top of that, we qualified behind [them] and if we get in trouble in the first lap, then there’s no chance we’re going to beat them. So, we need to do better next time.”

‘Simply stronger’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/04/21/...n-china-sainz/

Nico Rosberg questions attitude of ‘glass half-empty’ Lando Norris
Nico Rosberg left impressed by Lando Norris' driving in China - but not his attitude.
21 Apr 2024
Lewis Larkam
Crash.Net

Analysing McLaren’s performance in China during Sky Sports F1’s coverage, Rosberg urged Norris to have more “positivity”. “Lando is a glass half-empty guy,” the 2016 world champion said.

“Pre-race betting that Ferrari are going to beat them? I don’t know. I don’t think that’s the best approach, in general. Positivity would be helpful. Nevertheless, he had a phenomenal drive today. He drove so well. Together with Max, the driver of the day. Consistency, there was no degradation on his car.”

“The comparison to his teammate Oscar Piastri who was really struggling with degradation. Big difference, there. So a phenomenal drive.” Teammate Oscar Piastri managed to hold off Lewis Hamilton’s Mercedes to claim eighth despite picking up damage to his car.

‘Attitude of ‘glass half-empty’ Lando Norris’;

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/104726...y-lando-norris

Norris “surprised” with second after betting Ferrari would be 35s ahead
Posted on 21st April 2024, 12:29
Written by Will Wood
RaceFans

Lando Norris admitted that he was “surprised” to have secured a podium finish by taking second place in the Chinese Grand Prix. “I’m very happy. I’m happy for the whole team. They deserved it, good pit stops” Norris said. “Just today worked out – I don’t know why.”

“I really wasn’t expecting it to be the kind of race we had today, but got comfortable. I could manage the tyres a lot, which was a much easier task than what I had yesterday. And I could just push. The car felt great and felt comfortable. So good day, good points, and another podium – very happy.”

“I made a bet how far behind the Ferraris we would finish today,” Norris said. “I thought 35 seconds and I was very wrong by that. So I’m happy to be wrong with myself and my own bets, but a good day for everyone.”

‘Betting Ferrari would be 35s ahead’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/04/21/...-be-35s-ahead/

Norris startled by podium: 'I was ready to go home early!'
21/04/2024 at 11:36
Andrew Lewin
F1i.com

McLaren driver Lando Norris was the first to admit that clinching second place in Sunday's Chinese Grand Prix in Shanghai had exceeded all his expectations for the weekend.

"Good day, good points and another podium," he said after being voted the official F1 Driver of the Day for his performance. "I'm very happy, I'm happy for the whole team they deserve it," adding: "Today just worked out.”

"I don't know why I really wasn't expecting it to be the kind of race we had today," he admitted. "I just wasn't expecting today at all. I got everything ready to go home early and not be on the podium!”

‘Exceeded all his expectations’;

https://f1i.com/news/505989-norris-s...ome-early.html

Norris: "Nothing pointed" to McLaren's shock China F1 form
Apr 22, 2024, 11:18 AM
Filip Cleeren
Motorsport.com

Norris took pole for the sprint and while he went off at the start and struggled with tyre wear throughout the 19-lap event, the Briton did excel in Sunday's grand prix. Norris said the team is still as surprised as anyone at its China pace, with no indications the weekend would be a lot better than first thought.

"We were just quicker than we thought. The limitations, the places we expected to struggle probably a lot more, we didn't struggle as much in," Norris said. "These longer corners, like Turn 1, have always been a big weakness for us. And part of Turn 1 was probably better than we're expecting.”

“We're still learning about the car and the tarmac is quite odd, maybe that played into our hands a bit more. We're not making it up. We're giving our honest opinion on where we want to be. I think if we were to go into a weekend and we knew we were going to be strong, we'd say so.”

‘The team is still as surprised as anyone’;

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...form/10602049/