Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Red Bull’s rival make upgrade push: Five Miami Grand Prix talking points.
    Formula 1 will make its first of three visits to the United States this weekend for the third Miami Grand Prix.
    14:02 Mon, 29 Apr 2024.
    Will Wood
    RaceFans

Miami upgrades for McLaren and Mercedes: Mercedes technical director James Allison has expressed his hope that the new parts for this weekend could give them the marginal gains that will earn them additional places on the grid with an extremely close field in qualifying. At McLaren, team principal Andrea Stella said his team’s package will target an improvement in tyre degradation…

New sponsor, new look: Unlike their rivals in McLaren and Mercedes, Ferrari will run a largely unchanged car from the one they raced in Shanghai. However, the Scuderia will be sporting a very different look in Miami this weekend following the announcement of the team’s first official title sponsor since 2021.

Sargeant’s final home GP? With rumours swirling about Mercedes’ potential interest in filling Lewis Hamilton’s 2025 seat with F2 driver Andrea Kimi Antonelli… …If that comes to pass, Sargeant would be out of his seat before the next round in America – the United States Grand Prix at Circuit of the Americas in October.

‘Setting up for the sprint race, Advent of Andretti’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/04/29/...alking-points/

Leclerc urges Ferrari to keep up in 'game changing' F1 race
    Charles Leclerc has said he does not know what to expect from the upcoming Miami Grand Prix as rivals may bring upgrades, whilst cautioning the need for Ferrari to keep up in the development race.
    30 April 2024, 8:45AM
    Samuel Coop & Aaron Deckers
    RacingNews365

Charles Leclerc believes upgrades will be "super important" to how the rest of the F1 season unfolds, whilst suggesting that Ferrari's form at the Miami Grand Prix will be somewhat dependant on its rivals. Whilst the five-time race winner expects performance in the Sunshine State to be broadly similar, he did concede that it will ultimately come down to upgrades there.

"[Between now and Miami], we'll be working, obviously, on trying to understand what was going on the hard [tyres], to try and fix that and hopefully don't have that again sometime in the season, the 26-year-old told media including RacingNews365, before adding: "But I don't know. It also depends on whoever is bringing upgrades there [in Miami]. We probably won't, we'll have to wait a bit longer."

The Monegasque driver went on to caution against falling behind in the F1 development race, something he believes will be key to how the season unfolds, despite him not expecting Ferrari to improve the car between China and Miami. "I think that [upgrades]is going to be the game changer for the rest of the season - the upgrades are going to be super important to see how the season will develop after that," he said.

‘Keep up in 'game changing' F1 race’;

https://racingnews365.com/leclerc-ma...anging-f1-race

Mercedes to launch ‘ambitious’ F1 sprint plan with Miami GP upgrades confirmed
    29 Apr 2024 7:30 AM
    Thomas Maher
    PlanetF1.com

Having gone the wrong direction with set-up in China, Mercedes will be going all guns blazing into the Miami Sprint. Having qualified and raced to second place in the Chinese GP Sprint, Lewis Hamilton found himself down in 18th place in qualifying before racing to ninth.

This was after Mercedes opted to go in a different set-up direction following the Sprint, targeting more performance, only for the move to backfire as the car’s performance took a blow. “Every weekend you go to, you learn things,” Allison said in the team’s debrief of the China weekend.

“It’s one of the truisms of F1, it is a learning race and although you have a factory full of tools, you have a load of computational power, a load of people who are thinking about it, there is no place to learn about the car better than with the car at the track doing what it’s designed to do.”

‘Mercedes to launch ‘ambitious’ F1 sprint plan’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/merced...x-w15-upgrades

Mekies promises Miami upgrade to keep RB 'surfing on top'
    28/04/2024 at 15:37
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

Visa Cash App RB team principal Laurent Mekies has promised that the squad will be rolling out new upgrades for the next Grand Prix in Miami to keep them ahead of their midfield rivals.

"We'll have an update in Miami to help us try to keep surfing on the top of that very edge," he told Motorsport.com last week. "I'm sure our competitors will bring updates as well. There is nothing guaranteed in this group," he continued, "and only if you nail the weekend will you get to that P10."

"We've never been confident that we have the quickest car of the five [teams at the back]," he acknowledged. "We got it there by half a tenth in Australia, half a tenth in Japan and we missed it by a 10th and a half in China.

'Surfing on top';

https://f1i.com/news/506475-mekies-p...ng-on-top.html

Red Bull fear Max Verstappen streak will end at Miami GP as concern raised
    Max Verstappen and Red Bull have dominated the F1 season so far, but team adviser Helmut Marko says the defending champions are worried about the Miami Grand Prix
    13:49 Wed, 24 Apr 2024.
    By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
    The Mirror

Helmut Marko thinks Max Verstappen may struggle to extend his streak of pole positions at the Miami Grand Prix. In his Speedweek column, the Austrian wrote: "Five GP weekends, five different race tracks, five pole positions for Max Verstappen, four victories. At this point, we can reasonably say that we have a car that is fast on any type of track.”

"We have to point out that the tyre wear in Melbourne was unusually high for Red Bull conditions. When it comes to [Sergio] Perez's car, we don't know exactly whether the damage to his car contributed to this. But the findings from the long runs also indicate that there is too much wear.”

"So that means: Fast, yes, but the road surface and route can make differences." And Marko thinks that could affect Verstappen's chances when it comes to qualifying in Miami next time out. He continued: "Racetracks where the opponents could get a little closer to us are Miami or Monaco, especially since the competition has gotten closer, especially in the qualifying trim. I can imagine that it won't be easy to be in pole position there."

‘Red Bull fear Max Verstappen streak will end’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...-bull-32661200

Why Ferrari will ditch all-red Formula One car for wild new look at Miami Grand Prix
    Ferrari will celebrate a landmark anniversary of their arrival in the North American marketplace in style, sporting a different look at the Miami Grand Prix on May 5 with two tones of blue
    03:38 Fri, 26 Apr 2024.
    BY KASRA MORADISPORTS REPORTER
    DANIEL MOXONSENIOR F1 WRITER
    Daily Star

The Italian team’s cars are synonymous with the colour red thanks to the success of Michael Schumacher, Niki Lauda and other F1 legends to have raced for the Prancing Horse. But current drivers Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz will race in new-look Ferraris when they arrive in Florida for the Miami Grand Prix.

The SF-24 will sport two different shades of blue - the first being a lighter hue similar to that used on the Argentina national flag. That is in tribute to Alberto Ascari, who donned blue on his helmet and race suit when he became Ferrari's first F1 champion in the 1950s.

The eye-catching change is part of Ferrari's celebration of its historic breakthrough into the American marketplace. The Italians raced in white and blue cars for the final two races of the 1964 season to commemorate a significant moment in the brand's history, according to the Mirror.

‘Ferrari will celebrate a landmark anniversary’;

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/f1...miami-32670153

Wolff backs Hamilton to remain ‘a pro’ amid Mercedes troubles.
    Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has no doubts that Lewis Hamilton will continue to act like the veteran professional leader he is amid the Brackley squad’s continued troubles.
    29/04/2024 at 15:52
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

"I think that Lewis is a pro and has behaved in that way until now, trying to keep his morale up and the morale of the team even if the results don’t come", the Austrian said, quoted by Motorsport.com. "I have no doubt that this is going to last. He has also been supportive with George."

“Right now, I want to finish on a high here", the Briton told the media at Suzuka. "So all my energy is going into this. Of course, there's excitement for the future. But right now, we're going through a difficult place. That's my challenge.”

"That's where all my energy is going, to try and figure out how we can get ourselves back to the top. How can I work with the guys? How can I give better debriefs, give them better direction to get back fighting at the front? I'm a competitor first and foremost, so I want to win. Just thinking about the next year isn't going to help me do that."

‘All my energy is going into this’;

https://f1i.com/news/506526-wolff-ba...-troubles.html

Lewis Hamilton's mood behind the scenes at Mercedes as team struggle
    Lewis Hamilton is enduring a torrid final year with Mercedes.
    06:50, Tue, Apr 30, 2024
    By Fraser Watson
    Daily and Sunday Express

Lewis Hamilton has been praised for his professionalism by Toto Wolff despite continuing to struggle in his final season with Mercedes. Hamilton is currently languishing in ninth in the drivers’ standings, and is yet to notch a podium finish this year as the Silver Arrows continue to flounder in F1’s new era of regulations.

Hamilton is currently two places, and 14 points, behind his younger team-mate. The pair currently lie fourth in the constructors’ standings, a massive 143 points behind leaders Red Bull.

‘Mercedes as team struggle’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...des-Toto-Wolff

Mercedes F1 News: Toto Wolff Puts Trust in Lewis Hamilton - 'A Pro'
    Published Apr 29, 2024 at 5:00 PM EDT
    By Lydia Mee
    Sports Contributing Writer
    Newsweek

In a season marked by performance unpredictability, Mercedes team principal Toto Wolff has reaffirmed his confidence in Lewis Hamilton's professionalism and ability to uplift the team. Despite facing significant challenges with the current F1 regulations and his exit at the end of the year, the seven time champion's resolve remains firm.

This 2024 season has been distinctly challenging, evidenced by Hamilton's rollercoaster experiences from race to race. Despite these fluctuations, team principal Toto Wolff's recent statements shed light on the enduring faith he has in Hamilton's capability to continue to steer the team through these rough waters, even though he is set to leave the team at the end of the year for Ferrari.

The British driver has been unable to secure a top-six finish in any Grand Prix this 2024 season, a statistic that's sharply at odds with his renowned racing success. Wolff, addressing Hamilton's ongoing struggles, emphasized his professional demeanor and how critical it is for team morale during an interview with Autosport: "I think that Lewis is a pro and has behaved in that way until now, trying to keep his morale up and the morale of the team even if the results don't come.”

'A Pro';

https://www.newsweek.com/sports/merc...5341?piano_t=1

‘Have to be very careful’: Lewis Hamilton pinpoints moment where he proved Toto Wolff wrong at Mercedes
    Tue 30 April 2024 18:30
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Lewis Hamilton on the moment where he had to be ‘very careful’ at Mercedes. Speaking to French outlet Nextgen-Auto, Hamilton reflected on one of his greatest performances at the 2018 Singapore Grand Prix. The Briton would clinch the title that year with two races to spare but Sebastian Vettel and Ferrari had threatened to interrupt his dominance. On what was a crucial weekend at Marina Bay, Mercedes appeared to be struggling. Both Ferrari and Red Bull seemed to have an edge.

But in Q3, Hamilton produced what is widely seen as an all-time great lap to beat Max Verstappen to pole position by more than three tenths. He then went on to win the race by just under nine seconds, with Vettel third. Hamilton recalls that he angered senior Mercedes figures, including the late Niki Lauda, by attending a fashion event in New York in the week leading up to the race. But he emphatically silenced their doubts.

He said: “It’s not really good preparation for a race weekend. So you have to be very careful about that. The story that people gave me was, ‘Oh, he’s not focused.’ But I wasn’t out partying late or drinking like That. I arrived in Singapore and did one of the best laps I’ve ever done. And after that, everyone was like, ‘Oh, he can do that.’ Even Niki was telling Toto: ‘You can’t let Lewis do that! That’s not what a racing driver does!’ I proved them wrong.”

‘Have to be very careful’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/lew...g-at-mercedes/

Toto Wolff updates on 2026 Mercedes power unit plans with ‘moonshot project’ fears revealed
    29 Apr 2024 3:00 PM
    Thomas Maher
    PlanetF1.com

Mercedes’ Toto Wolff believes the power unit being developed for the new 2026 regulations is hitting targets that should be enough to be “very competitive”. F1 introduces very different power unit regulations in 2026, with an increased focus on electrical power that will see the ratio of combustion versus electrification shift to a 50/50 balance.

This means that, at a time when Mercedes is openly courting the likes of Max Verstappen as the Dutch driver’s future with Red Bull seemingly isn’t as assured as it once was, Wolff believes his team could be a prime destination for a driver evaluating their options on the driver market.

“I think we’re in a very good position for 2026, we are ambitious with the targets we set ourselves for the power unit, for the batteries, for the fuel,” Wolff said after the Chinese Grand Prix. “If we’re able to produce a decent chassis, we’re a good value proposition – but who knows?”

‘Toto Wolff updates on 2026 Mercedes power unit plans’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/toto-w...ami-grand-prix

Adrian Newey To Leave Red Bull After 19 Years.
    Oracle Red Bull Racing Team Principal And CEO Christian Horner Hails Contribution Of “A True F1 Legend”.
    1 May 2024.
    RedBullRacing.com

Oracle Red Bull Racing today announces that Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey will leave the Red Bull Technology Group in the first quarter of 2025. The engineering supremo will step back from Formula One design duties to focus on final development and delivery of Red Bull’s first hypercar, the hugely anticipated RB17. He will remain involved in and committed to this exciting project until its completion.

Oracle Red Bull Racing Chief Technical Officer Adrian Newey said: “Ever since I was a young boy, I wanted to be a designer of fast cars. My dream was to be an engineer in Formula One, and I’ve been lucky enough to make that dream a reality. For almost two decades it has been my great honour to have played a key role in Red Bull Racing’s progress from upstart newcomer to multiple title-winning Team. However, I feel now is an opportune moment to hand that baton over to others and to seek new challenges for myself.”

Oracle Red Bull Racing Team Principal and CEO Christian Horner said: “All of our greatest moments from the past 20 years have come with Adrian’s hand on the technical tiller. His vision and brilliance have helped us to 13 titles in 20 seasons. His exceptional ability to conceptualise beyond F1 and bring wider inspiration to bear on the design of grand prix cars, his remarkable talent for embracing change and finding the most rewarding areas of the rules to focus on, and his relentless will to win have helped Red Bull Racing to become a greater force than I think even the late Dietrich Mateschitz might have imagined.”

‘Adrian Newey will leave the Red Bull in the first quarter of 2025’;

https://www.redbullracing.com/int-en...d-bull-in-2025

ANALYSIS: Adrian Newey's Red Bull exit is confirmed – what next for the star designer?
    1 May 2024.
    Lawrence Barretto
    F1 Correspondent & Presenter
    Formula One - Official Site

Adrian Newey – the best designer Formula 1 has ever seen – is to leave the Red Bull team he has spent the last two decades with, winning 13 World Championships during that period.

Sources say discussions about Newey’s future and potentially parting ways have been happening for quite some time, even as early as last year – with Newey keen to explore a new chapter for a multitude of reasons. So, what does this super talent’s next chapter look like?

Could he join a rival team? This is by far the most likely option. Newey – who still uses a drawing board and pencil to sketch out his designs - continues to love what he does. And crucially, he is still operating at an incredibly high level. Under his technical leadership, Red Bull are dominating the sport, the RB20 far and away the class of the field so far this year.

‘What next?’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...tP22ooEFMTQuBd

‘Here we go’ – Italian press claim Adrian Newey meets Ferrari in London for ‘immediate’ 2026 project
    01 May 2024
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

A report from Italy has claimed Adrian Newey met Ferrari team principal Frédéric Vasseur in London to discuss a move to the Scuderia, potentially as early as 2025.

A report from Italian newspaper La Gazzetta dello Sport under the headline ‘Newey-Ferrari, here we go’ claims Red Bull’s chief technology officer took time to meet Vasseur over a possible move to Maranello, with the Scuderia having made multiple approaches to Newey over working for them over the decades that have not come to fruition.

As for Newey himself, he explained upon the announcement of his departure that the time has come for him to try something different, hinting that his F1 career may not be over yet while acknowledging that he felt now is the right time for others within Red Bull to step up. “I feel now is an opportune moment to hand that baton over to others and to seek new challenges for myself,” he said.

‘Here we go’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/adrian...-london-report

Aston Martin conspiracy theory involving Fernando Alonso emerges in Adrian Newey pursuit
    01 May 2024
    Henry Valantine
    PlanetF1.com

Formula 1 journalist and press conference host Tom Clarkson shared his “conspiracy theory” regarding the timing of Fernando Alonso’s contract announcement with the team, as they reportedly pursued Adrian Newey.

“This next contract is probably going to be his last one, a bit like Alonso’s at Aston Martin,” Clarkson said of Newey on the F1 Nation podcast. “Okay, Ferrari is one option and it will be a fantastic option. But what about Aston Martin working with Alonso? You know, there’s been a lot of chat in the paddock that Lawrence Stroll has already made a mega bucks offer for him, and it would see him reunited with Dan Fallows who he worked with, of course, at Red Bull for many years.”

“It would see him stay in England, if that is still a factor for him. Do we think it’s likely? And let’s not forget the facilities now at the campus at Silverstone at Aston Martin are second to none, so he’d have everything that he needed to continue dominating the sport.”

‘Aston Martin conspiracy theory’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/adrian...y-tom-clarkson

Adrian Newey set to reject Mercedes 'due to Toto Wolff' and one other major concern
    Adrian Newey has left Red Bull but it is unlikely to be for Mercedes.
    May 1, 2024
    Jack McEachen
    Daily and Sunday Express

Rumours continue to swirl over Red Bull chief technology officer Adrian Newey and his next move, after the design chief confirmed his departure from Christian Horner’s outfit on Wednesday. Mercedes were said to be interested in the 65-year-old with Ferrari and Aston Martin, but Newey is reportedly set to turn the Silver Arrows down.

That is despite recent praise by Wolff at an event in New York: “Adrian Newey is an iconic engineer in F1 with a great track record and again also there are so many people talking about what he eventually might do and whether he leaves Red Bull or not. I’m just looking at it like a fan and watching that space.”

Newey explained that he felt that it was "an opportune moment to hand that baton over" in a statement confirming his departure from Red Bull, though did not mention any future plans and whether he wants to join a rival team.

‘Reject Mercedes due to Toto Wolff';

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...Wolff-Mercedes

Adrian Newey's manager Eddie Jordan hints at next F1 career move with Ferrari waiting
    Ferrari are favourites to sign F1 design legend Adrian Newey after Red Bull Racing confirmed their chief technical officer will leave the team in early 2025, putting rivals on alert
    1st May 2024.
    The Mirror

Eddie Jordan hinted Adrian Newey could put his Formula 1 career on hold after his Red Bull exit. Newey has been with Red Bull since 2006 but plans to leave in early 2025. His contract runs until the end of next year and has a 12-month non-compete clause, but an earlier exit has been successfully negotiated with the F1 champions.

Former F1 team owner Jordan played a significant role on those talks, it has emerged. Newey described the Irishman as his "close friend and manager" as it emerged that Jordan has been instrumental in the events of the past few days. Speaking on his Formula For Success podcast, Jordan hinted his client may decide to take some time before committing to a new project.

"That's probably more likely to see rather diving into any other possible employment career. Things have slightly changed... He probably should and would look to the future about a change of life." Ferrari are not the only ones interested in Newey. When, or if, he decides to join another F1 team, he is likely to also have interest from Aston Martin who tried in March to tempt him to join their project with a mega-money offer extended personally by billionaire owner Lawrence Stroll.

‘Eddie Jordan hints at next F1 career move’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...rrari-32712608

Jenson Button raises Adrian Newey suspicions in blow to Lewis Hamilton
    Adrian Newey will depart Red Bull in 2025 in a bitter blow to the team.
    Wed, May 1, 2024
    Fraser Watson
    Daily and Sunday Express

Jenson Button has dismissed the argument that Adrian Newey leaving Red Bull will enhance Lewis Hamilton’s world title hopes, even if the car designer joins him at Ferrari. In a hammer blow to Horner’s team, Newey ended weeks of speculation by confirming he will end a 19-year association with his current team by departing in early 2025.

"For the sport, it's probably a good thing if we saw him somewhere else,” he told the Sky Sports F1 podcast. “It'll give another team an opportunity. The trouble is, it takes years to develop a car. It's not overnight. Also, I don't think he'd be allowed to work with another team for a few years.”

However, Button’s claims have been contradicted by Red Bull themselves. The 65-year-old has negotiated an early release from his deal, with the team releasing an official statement implying he can work elsewhere ahead of the next F1 campaign. After confirming the impending departure, they said: “Adrian Newey can start working directly with another team after his departure in early 2025. There is no gardening leave.”

‘Suspicions’;

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...is-Hamilton-F1
    Last edited by Fortitude; Yesterday at 14:33.

What next for Adrian Newey? Red Bull exit will spark bidding war for F1 2026 battleground.
    Adrian Newey will become a free agent ahead of the new regulation cycle, so what are the famed designer’s main options?
    02 May 2024 6:00 AM
    Thomas Maher
    PlanetF1.com

As Red Bull’s chief technology officer, Newey oversaw all the technical work carried out by the technology group based at the campus in Milton Keynes but, effective immediately, will no longer play a role on the F1 side of things. If Newey does immediately begin work with another team then, he will have several months to wield his influence over the 2026 car said team will have in development. All the teams are allowed to begin aerodynamic and CFD testing and simulation work from January 1st, 2025, meaning Newey would be joining at least a few months into that cycle – arguably too late to play a major part in 2026 development.

With Fred Vasseur having secured Lewis Hamilton to the team from 2025, and now landing a big money title sponsor in HP, Ferrari would appear to be the leading candidate to secure Newey ahead of 2026. All the ingredients are there. A no-nonsense team boss who is making things happen without being cowed by the politics that inevitably surround Ferrari, two massively exciting drivers in Hamilton and Charles Leclerc, amazing (and recently updated) facilities at Maranello, and a barren spell that stretches back to 2008 since a title victory.

Should Newey not want to leave the UK for Italy, there are quite a few British teams that would throw money at him to join. McLaren and Williams are contenders, and Newey is known to get along famously with McLaren CEO Zak Brown. Which leads us to Aston Martin. Lawrence Stroll’s investment has been significant, and the Silverstone factory is now one of the leading examples of an F1 production facility. Having Fernando Alonso secured for a new deal – both for racing and a post-racing career role – would be a major plus for Newey, who in the past has admitted he’d have liked to have worked with the Spaniard.

‘What next for Adrian Newey?’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/what-n...tions-explored

Tremayne: ‘He’s the man who can see and bend air’ – Why Adrian Newey will be such a big loss to Red Bull
    19:51 Wed, 01 May 2024.
    David Tremayne
    Hall of Fame F1 Journalist

The 1988 Japanese GP came towards the end of my first full season of F1. And while it was ultimately a showcase – yet again – for the superiority of the turbocharged McLaren MP4/4 Hondas, which were the Red Bulls of their day long before anyone had ever heard that name – they were chased initially by an outstandingly attractive Miami Blue car driven by Ivan Capelli and powered by a proprietary, normally aspirated Judd V8 engine.

As champion-to-be Ayrton Senna recovered from a poor start and leader Alain Prost struggled with an occasionally baulky gearchange, Capelli squeezed the sleekly raised nose of his March 881 ahead of the McLaren as they crossed the finish line on the 16th lap, to huge cheers from spectators and media. Eyebrows were certainly raised over the performance of the relatively low-funded team, with a 3.5-litre atmo engine developed by John Judd’s modest company in Rugby that hadn’t had anything like the budget Honda had sunk into their 1.5-litre turbo.

But what really lay beneath that stunning performance was Adrian Newey’s understanding of aerodynamics, and that season was really the first manifestation of that in the F1 arena. It wasn’t just technical knowledge, either; he had honed his practical skills on the 230mph ovals of IndyCar racing working for March between 1984 and ‘86. Small wonder that in some circles he is known as the man who can see and bend air, since he has such an uncanny ability to envision its flow characteristics almost as if he has no personal need for that greeny-yellow flow-vis paint teams sometimes use in a weekend’s first free practice sessions.

‘The man who can see and bend air’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...TnO74ChCAj8fG6

Red Bull after Newey: Falling apart, or strength in depth?
    02/05/2024 at 08:11
    Andrew Lewin
    F1i.com

It wasn't so long ago that we thought Lewis Hamilton's move to Ferrari at the end of the year would be the stand-out story of 2024. But Wednesday's confirmation that legendary designer Adrian Newey is bowing out at Red Bull makes that driver move almost look like small potatoes. The immediate reaction by experts and fans is that Newey's departure is little short of apocalyptic for the team that he's been such an intrinsic part of for the last 19 years, and that its reign as the dominant force in Formula 1 is effectively already over.

The view from Newey is somewhat different, as the 65-year-old talked about this being the right time to hand over responsibility for Red Bull's car design to a new generation. If anyone knows what he's talking about on this point, it's surely him. "Now is an opportune moment to hand that baton over to others and to seek new challenges for myself," Newey said on Wednesday. "The final stages of development of the RB17 are upon us, so for the remainder of my time with the team my focus will lie there."

Aerodynamic chief Enrico Balbo has been the subject of particular praise from Horner, and technical director Pierre Wache's profile in charge of Red Bull's core team of design and aerodynamic engineers has also been in the ascendency according to The Race. As technical director in charge of the team's technical group, Wache reports directly to Horner and not to Newey, who hasn't been in that hands-on role for nearly a decade.

‘Red Bull after Newey’;

https://f1i.com/news/506628-red-bull...-in-depth.html

‘A new chapter’: Red Bull now have ‘most logical’ successor to Adrian Newey as technical director
    Thu 2 May 2024 07:30
    Ben Evans
    F1 Oversteer

Red Bull Racing have to prepare for life without Adrian Newey very soon but a potential successor may already exist within the team. Max Verstappen is the latest driver to benefit from his genius and Adrian Newey could win his 14th Drivers’ Championship with the Dutchman. Speaking on the Autosport Podcast, journalist Haydn Cobb believes an obvious candidate stands out to step up in the 65-year-old’s place.

Could Pierre Wache step into Adrian Newey’s shoes? Talking about the future of Red Bull’s technical team, Cobb said: “It was a case of cut now if the damage is done and they look to start their new chapter with the sort of Ford-backed Red Bull Powertrains coming on in a couple of years. “Or try and repair said damage and keep [Adrian] Newey as part of the team moving forwards.”

“It seems like the first option has been taken and they’re going to look to very much start a new chapter as the team in more ways than one and probably in more ways than they would have wanted. They would of course have wanted to keep Newey going into the new era. But, as you say, Pierre Wache looks like the most logical next direct head of technical development, not that he wasn’t already working alongside Newey, but he will be getting the full responsibility of that.”

‘Pierre Wache looks like the most logical next direct head of technical development’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/red...ical-director/

What Does Newey’s Leaving Mean for Red Bull’s Future?
    May 2, 2024
    By Siwar Cheimbi
    PlanetF1.com

Throughout his illustrious career, Newey has left a significant imprint on every team he’s been a part of. His departure from Williams in 1996 marked the beginning of a decline for the team, which has yet to recapture its former glory.

Similarly, after Newey’s exit from McLaren in 2005, the team struggled to replicate their previous successes, with only one Driver’ Championship secured in the following years. Now, as Newey is confirmed to leave Red Bull, questions arise about the potential repercussions for the team’s future dominance in the sport.

The Collective Effort: Beyond Newey’s Genius: However, it’s essential to dispel the misconception that F1 success hinges solely on the genius of one individual. While Newey’s contributions are undeniably significant, the true backbone of Red Bull’s performance lies in its dedicated technical team of around 300 individuals. These unsung heroes work tirelessly behind the scenes, translating Newey’s vision into tangible performance on the track. The success of Red Bull is a collective effort. Newey and technical director Pierre Wache oversee resources and provide strategic direction.

‘Red Bull’s Future’;

https://worldinsport.com/what-does-a...-bulls-future/

2024 F1 Miami Grand Prix – Start time, how to watch, channel & more.
    F1 takes in the first of three events in the United States with this weekend's Miami Grand Prix, Round 6 of the season.
    2 May 2024
    by Mat Coch
    Speedcafe

After a trio of events in the Pacific/Asia region with Australia, Japan, and China, F1 heads to the first of three separate visits to North America. The first of those is for the Miami Grand Prix for what will be the third edition of the Miami Grand Prix from the Miami International Autodrome.

It was this event last year that kick-started Max Verstappen's domination of the championship as he crushed team-mate Sergio Perez with a strong drive following a (comparatively) poor qualifying. Ferrari's weaknesses in tyre management also came to the fore as Charles Leclerc and Carlos Sainz both struggled at different points and, confusingly for the team, on different tyres.

When is the Formula 1 Miami Grand Prix. It's an early start for Australian fans wanting to catch every minute of track action, tough the more meaningful running is a little more accommodating.

‘Early start for Australian fans’;

https://speedcafe.com/2024-f1-miami-...-channel-more/

Miami GP 2024: Schedule and F1 Start Times
    Find out when the 2024 Miami Grand Prix takes place, including the F1 session times for practice, Spring Qualifying, the Sprint Race and Sunday's Grand Prix
    2 May 2024
    By John Smith
    Total Motorsport

The F1 season advances with the 2024 Miami Grand Prix. Below, find the complete schedule for the race weekend, including session times for viewers in the USA, the UK, Australia, as well as local time in Miami.

Session Day UK (BST) US (ET) US (PT) Aus. (AEST)
    Practice 1 Fri, May 3 17:30 – 18:30 12:30 – 13:30 09:30 – 10:30 02:30 – 03:30*
    Sprint Qualifying Fri, May 3 21:30 – 22:14 16:30 – 17:14 13:30 – 14:14 06:30 – 07:14*
    Sprint Sat, May 4 17:00 – 18:00 12:00 – 13:00 09:00 – 10:00 02:00 – 03:00*
    Qualifying Sat, May 4 21:00 – 22:00 16:00 – 17:00 13:00 – 14:00 06:00 – 07:00*
    Race Sun, May 5 21:00 16:00 13:00 06:00*
    *Next Day

‘Schedule and F1 Start Times’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/f1-...e-start-times/

Risk of wet starts to sprint race and grand prix in Miami
    2nd May 2024, 15:14
    Written by Will Wood
    RaceFans

Formula 1 drivers may have to contend with wet starts to Saturday’s sprint race and Sunday’s grand prix over the Miami Grand Prix weekend. The Miami International Autodrome has hosted two grands prix over the last two years but has not experienced wet session in that time. Friday is expected to have the lowest risk of rain of the weekend, meaning drivers will have the benefit of a dry hour of practice in warm temperatures of just under 30C before that evening’s sprint qualifying session.

Heading into Saturday, there is a significant risk of rain falling in the morning prior to the sprint race starting at midday. While forecasts do not expect rain during the sprint race or the following grand prix qualifying session, there is a chance that the track could still be drying from earlier rain when the lights go out. However, with temperatures again expected to be in the high 20s, any moisture should dry out relatively quickly.

The same is also the case for the grand prix on Sunday. The relatively late start time of 4pm (half an hour later than last year) could well mean that the track is dry once again after earlier expected rain passes in the early afternoon. But should the rain come later than current forecast expect, the risk that the grand prix could be affected will increase.

‘Risk of wet starts’;

https://www.racefans.net/2024/05/02/...prix-in-miami/

F1 News: FIA Makes Last Minute Change Ahead of Miami Grand Prix
    May 01, 2024 at 5:00 PM EDT
    By Lydia Mee
    Sports Contributing Writer
    Newsweek

The Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile (FIA) has adjusted the rules concerning jump starts just before the Miami Grand Prix which is set to take place this weekend on 3-5 May. In anticipation of the upcoming Miami Grand Prix, the FIA has introduced a set of revised regulations targeting the clarity and enforcement of jump starts in Formula 1 races, as reported by Autosport.

Previously, the determination of a jump start was solely reliant on sensors provided by the FIA. However, several instances have highlighted the limitations of this technology. Notably, during the Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, McLaren driver Lando Norris's minor movement at the start line went undetected by the sensors…

Responding to these issues, the revised Article 48.1a of the Sporting Regulations now defines a false start more clearly. According to the new rule, a false start will be called if any car moves in the time window between the illumination of the four-second light and the extinguishing of all red lights at the start. This change aims to eliminate the grey areas previously exploited due to sensor limitations.

‘Defines a false start more clearly’;

https://www.newsweek.com/sports/f1-n...6091?piano_t=1

Logan Sargeant says being sacrificed by Williams in Australia 'doesn't even cross my mind anymore' as America's only F1 star explains why his struggling team can compete in Miami

Published: 12:06, 2 May 2024
    By Jake Fenner
    MailOnline

As he sat in a high-rise building in New York City overlooking the East River, Logan Sargeant was on his phone fielding text messages and calls. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of people from his home area of south Florida asking him if he can try to get tickets to this weekend's Miami Grand Prix. 'Little do they know I get like, no tickets,' Sargeant says with a laugh before adding that he tries to hand out 'as many as I can'.

The Williams man described his mood going into the weekend as, 'relatively relaxed, excited to be racing at home again.' He continued: 'I think looking at it from a performance standpoint, it's been not the easiest start of the year for the team. I don't think we've really executed a clean weekend as a whole yet. So that has to be the approach going to the weekend.”

'But I think the big thing is this week is a sprint, which will make things a little bit more challenging, make it more important that myself and the engineer has got the set up right going into the weekend as you have very limited time to change anything. So yeah, fingers crossed. But we'll have to wait and see... [we] just need to find our feet quickly.' Sargeant has not found his feet yet this season. Neither has his team. Williams are one of three teams yet to score a single point this campaign.

‘Struggling team can compete in Miami’;

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...ete-Miami.html

Max previews Miami GP: 'Looking forward to the challenge'
    01 May 2024
    Niels Hendrix
    Verstappen.nl

Max Verstappen scored pole position in all five Grands Prix of 2024 and has won all four Grands Prix that he finished. The three-time Formula 1 world champion has arrived in Miami, for the sprint race weekend that’s coming up.

Max says: “Miami is always one of the most physical tracks, especially with the heat and humidity, but we are looking forward to the challenge this weekend. It’s an interesting circuit with a real mix of corners and long straights, so it will be critical to extract learnings from the car where we can over the weekend. The track is good for racing, with some high-speed sections, so it makes it more interesting with this being the second sprint race in a row.”

'Looking forward to the challenge';

https://news.verstappen.com/en/article/5447/

Miami GP: Thursday's build-up in pictures.
    We’re on the eve of another adrenaline-pumping weekend of action in Florida, with Formula 1's Miami GP set for its third edition of high-octane racing around the Hard Rock Cafe Stadium.
    02/05/2024 at 20:15
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

‘Another adrenaline-pumping weekend of action’;

https://f1i.com/news/506669-miami-gp...ictures-3.html

‘Affects your level of motivation’: Zero-point Formula 1 driver admits he ‘constantly’ feels tired and ‘down on energy’
    Thu 2 May 2024 19:00
    David Comerford
    F1 Oversteer

Speaking to The Athletic, Sargeant admitted that, as a driver, he feels drained. The 23-year-old, who has been partly responsible for Williams accumulating more than £2m in damages this year, says it’s particularly difficult to maintain motivation after an accident. “You constantly feel tired,” he said. “You feel down on energy.”

“I think it affects your level of motivation. It’s easier if you’re winning every weekend as well, so that makes a difference. You don’t feel fatigued in the weekend because you have this constant adrenaline, and that’s another thing. The truth of it is you’re high on adrenaline for the weekend, and then you crash.”

“The science behind it is it takes at least 48 to 72 hours just for your brain to regulate back to normal levels, and it’s normal to feel this lack of motivation, energy, whatever it may be, because you’ve just come off this big crash. Also, when you just release all the nerves and the anxiety, this also plays a big part into it. So, it all makes sense. It’s all normal, but it’s just difficult to manage.”

‘Constantly feels tired and down on energy’;

https://www.f1oversteer.com/news/zer...own-on-energy/

Miami GP: FIA Thursday Press Conference.
    May 3 2024
    By FIA
    WilliamsF1 Supporters

Q: “Logan, great to have you with us. It's your home race. Just tell us how excited are you? How busy are you? Has the past week been for you?” LOGAN SARGEANT: “It's been busy. I obviously have three of these, which is nice, but this one's home. But they're always busy weekends leading up to the race. But it was nice. I got the full day off yesterday just to hang out with friends, family, get out on the boat for a little bit. So, yeah, I feel relaxed and excited to be racing at home for the first time in a while.”

Q: “Checo, can we come to you next? You started this race on pole last year. Just how much confidence do you have coming into the weekend?” Sergio PÉREZ: “I think the last few weekends have been good. I think the upgrade we introduced in Suzuka should perform better in these sort of places. It will be also quite interesting to see on a very different circuit to the ones we've been. We're still in the early stages of the season, so it will be interesting to see where we are relative to everyone else in this place. Last year, qualifying went all right, so I believe that we can be alright here.”

Q: “Lewis, can I bring you in on this Adrian Newey news? He's a free agent this time next year. How much would you like to see him join you at Ferrari in 2025?” Lewis HAMILTON: “Very much.”

‘FIA Thursday Press Conference’;

https://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s107/st205913.htm

‘That’s your job’ – Lewis Hamilton left fuming by Mercedes strategy at Miami Grand Prix that saw him battle teammate George Russell
    Published: 15:30, 2 May 2024
    Joe Brophy, Senior SEO Writer

Lewis Hamilton heading to Miami after a horror start to the season in the worst car Mercedes he has had will feel like Groundhog Day. The Brit superstar is the most recognisable Formula 1 driver in America but the track in Florida has not been kind to him.

Hamilton had disappeared from the public eye following the conclusion of the 2021 season after controversial safety car calls robbed him of a record-breaking eighth world title and handed Max Verstappen his first championship.

He returned for the start of the new campaign two years ago unable to put the disappointment behind him due to the 2022 rule changes. Drastic aerodynamic regulations caused airflow issues under that year’s cars, and Mercedes' struggles left them well off the pace.

‘That’s your job’;

https://talksport.com/sport/1848167/...mi-grand-prix/

2024 Miami Grand Prix: Weekend Warm-Up
    02 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

Lawrence Barretto, Will Buxton, Ruth Buscombe, James Hinchcliffe, Alex Jacques and Laura Winter take a look at the latest news and forecasts ahead of the 2024 Miami Grand Prix.

‘Weekend Warm-Up’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/v...252586977.html

F1's Charles Leclerc & Carlos Sainz Show Off New Ferrari Car & Blue Race Suits Ahead of Miami Grand Prix
    MAY 02, 2024 AT 6:56 PM
    BY JJ STAFF
    Just Jared (Weblog)

The Scuderia Ferrari teammates unveiled the Miami livery of the Ferrari SF-24 car in the pitlane ahead of this weekend’s Formula 1 Crypto.co Miami Grand Prix 2024.

“We had a bit of a say [with the livery], I like the softer blue as it’s one of my favourite colours. But I love the kit, full blue, a bit retro – it looks so cool! It’s a bit strange looking at yourself in the mirror without the red,” Charles shared about the new livery.

“Happy to be racing this historical colour for Ferrari, and I really like my helmet too. Hopefully [this track] will be a bit better, I’m a bit more optimistic for this year,” Carlos said.

‘Blue Race Suits’;

https://www.justjared.com/2024/05/02...mi-grand-prix/

‘Many of those decisions are not in my hands’ – Bottas explains ‘sudden change’ of race engineer in Miami
    20:34 Thu, 02 May 2024.

Valtteri Bottas has given his take on the news that he will have a new race engineer for the Miami Grand Prix weekend, with the Finn admitting that the move was a “sudden change” by Kick Sauber. Bottas had worked with Alex Chan since joining the team at the start of the 2022 season, but the 10-time Grand Prix winner will now pair up with a different race engineer as of the upcoming event in Miami.

Asked ahead of the weekend for the reason behind the switch, Bottas responded: “I think that’s more a question for the team. It was quite a sudden change. It’s a Sprint weekend so working with a fresh guy will be not easy, but [we're] obviously trying to make the most out of it.”

“He’s getting lots of support but, yeah, it’s quite a sudden change.” On whether the change had received his blessing, Bottas suggested that the move is part of the continued development at Kick Sauber as the squad prepares to become Audi’s works team in 2026.

‘Many of those decisions are not in my hands’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...io5pw2JPplxAot

Max on Adrian Newey departure: 'He's earned much respect'
    02 May 2024
    Florence Cobben
    Verstappen.nl

The news that Adrian Newey, Oracle Red Bull Racing's technical director, will depart from the team in 2025 is the talk of the town at the Miami GP. Max Verstappen is in high demand by journalists for his reaction: "We would have preferred that he didn't go, but it is what it is. If someone wants to leave you can't stop them. He's chosing this for himself and his family, and you can't fault him for that."

Max elaborates: "Adrian has of course meant so much to Red Bull Racing and contributed to all it's successes from the very beginning. Everyone in the team will always be thankful for that. He's earned a lot of respect. We remain good friends, forever. But that's part of life. We have a strong technical team, who will continue to work hard. The last couple of years have proved that. I trust them."

‘We have a strong technical team’;

https://news.verstappen.com/en/article/5449/

Miami GP: Verstappen tops FP1 as Leclerc spins out.
    Red Bull’s Max Verstappen set the fastest time in Friday’s single practice for the Miami Grand Prix, the Red Bull charger concluding the tricky session just 0.105s ahead of the McLaren of Oscar Piastri.
    03/05/2024 at 18:47
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Ferrari’s Carlos Sainz was third but it was a mixed session for the Scuderia, with Charles Leclerc forced out of practice after just a handful of laps following a spin that left his car stranded in the middle of the track and unable to rejoin the proceedings.

Behind the top-three, Mercedes George Russell, Aston Martin’s Lance Stroll and Sergio Perez rounded off the top-six contenders. With this weekend’s action around the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami including a Sprint event, teams were faced with a busy and all-important single practice session.

There were plenty of upgrades up and down the pitlane, but over at McLaren, from front to back, changes were plentiful on team papaya’s MCL38. Over at Williams, the British outfit finally has a spare chassis in its crates, which it obviously hopes it will not need.

‘Verstappen tops FP1’;

https://f1i.com/news/506758-miami-gr...results-3.html

Miami Grand Prix 2024 – Free Practice 1 Results
    Max Verstappen of Red Bull was fastest in the only practice session the teams had available ahead of Sprint Qualifying for the Sprint Race at the 2024 Miami GP
    3 May 2024
    By John Smith
    Total Motorsport

Max Verstappen of Red Bull was the class of the field in an interrupted Free Practice 1 session at the 2024 Miami Grand Prix setting the fastest time just 0.105s ahead of Oscar Piastri in the McLaren. Here are the full results from FP1 at the Miami GP.
    F1 Miami Grand Prix 2024 – FP1 Results
    Pos Driver Team Time
    1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:28.595
    2 Oscar Piastri McLaren +0.105
    3 Carlos Sainz Ferrari +0.116
    4 George Russell Mercedes +0.189
    5 Lance Stroll Aston Martin +0.222
    6 Sergio Perez Red Bull +0.273
    7 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes +0.417
    8 Yuki Tsunoda RB +0.461
    9 Esteban Ocon Alpine +0.568
    10 Pierre Gasly Alpine +0.580

‘Full results from FP1’;

https://www.total-motorsport.com/mia...ice-1-results/

Miami Grand Prix Free Practice 1 - Results
    03/05/2024 at 18:45
    Michael Delaney
    F1i.com

Full results from Free Practice 1 for the Miami Grand Prix at the Miami International Autodrome, round 6 of the 2024 Formula 1 World Championship.

2024 Miami Grand Prix - Free Practice 1 results
    Pos Driver Team Time Gap Laps
    1 Max Verstappen Red Bull 1:28.595s 25
    2 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:28.700s + 0.105s 24
    3 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:28.711s + 0.116s 24
    4 George Russell Mercedes 1:28.784s + 0.189s 26
    5 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 1:28.817s + 0.222s 25
    6 Sergio Pérez Red Bull 1:28.868s + 0.273s 23
    7 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:29.012s + 0.417s 24
    8 Yuki Tsunoda RB 1:29.056s + 0.461s 25
    9 Esteban Ocon Alpine 1:29.163s + 0.568s 23
    10 Pierre Gasly Alpine 1:29.175s + 0.580s 27

‘Full results from Free Practice 1’;

https://f1i.com/news/506758-miami-gr...results-3.html

Charles Leclerc suffers 'Austin Powers' embarrassment at Miami GP as Sky F1 pundit giggles
    Sky Sports F1 commentator David Croft couldn't resist poking fun at Charles Leclerc after the Ferrari driver span and got stuck on track during practice at the Miami Grand Prix
    3 May 2024, 18:04
    The Mirror

Speaking live on air, Croft struggled to contain his laughter as he said: "You know that scene in Austin Powers when he's trying to get the car turned around in the tunnel? I think we've got one of those on our hands!" As he continued to giggle, he added: "I'm not laughing... well, I am, but I'm laughing at the Austin Powers thing, not at Charles Leclerc. This is ruining not only his first few moments, but everyone else out on track as well."

A few seconds later, as it became clear Leclerc wasn't going to be able to get his car facing the right way again, race control decided to red flag the session. Once the Ferrari was recovered, the session got going again. But the Monegasque was able to play no further part.

And, because the Sprint format is again in use this weekend, it means Leclerc will get no practice time before heading back out on track for qualifying for the Sprint race later on Friday. Fortunately for everyone else, the red flags were not flying for long and the action was able to continue. But there was only one Ferrari out on track with Carlos Sainz showing off the team's special one-off livery featuring blue alongside their famous red.

"I'm not laughing... well, I am, but I'm laughing at the Austin Powers thing…;”

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formula-1/breaking-leclerc-austin-power-miami-32731766

2024 Miami GP FP1: Leclerc spin brings out the red flags in first practice

03 May 2024
    Formula One - Official Site (Video)

The first practice session for the Miami Grand Prix was halted after Charles Leclerc spun his Ferrari at the exit of Turn 16 just a few minutes into the session.

‘Leclerc spin brings out the red flags’;

https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/F1...+Prix/Miami+GP