Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

Brazil 2023 - Interlagos Sprint Weekend

Another Sprint weekend, and with changing weather and the always present chance of rain, setups could be interesting across the field.

Initial reports at the track seem to show most teams have "barn door" max downforce wings, but rumors that some are not using the max downforce wings. But of course we are dealing with the absolute best of the best. A little weather never changes anything much...... just ask KMag!

Last year things kept getting shaken up in the race as well. George came out on top, having started from the front after the Sprint. But this year with the new rules, the polesitter for the race will be decided tomorrow, rain or shine.

Though the constructors and the WDC are decided, there are still drivers positions well in the air, with Sainz and Alonso tied on points, Lewis within striking distance of Perez, and Lando, Charles and George still possibly in for a shout for moving up. Based purely on numbers, Max is the only person in the top 10 with a secure spot, and in many cases there are realistic chances of a good or bad race still having major impact on driver finishing positions in the WDC.

Though the engine modes have been tightened up over the years, this race still has potential to be "spicy"!

2. Likes: Bagwan (3rd November 2023),Mia 01 (5th November 2023)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    I love this track .

I just wish it wasn't a sprint race .
    I read that Toto feels the same .
    Smart man .

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts

If you didn't watch the Sprint shootout or the Sprint, go do it now before somebody ruins it.

Some surprises in the Sprint shootout but the actual Sprint was some of the best racing action we've seen on track in a while. I don't even know if there was a single lap without somebody racing somebody else hard.

If every race was as enjoyable as that Sprint there would probably be a lot more people watching Formula 1.

6. Likes: Mia 01 (5th November 2023),Tazio (5th November 2023)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Classic race by Fred....Brilliant....Masterclass!
    Also well played by 'troll.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tazio; 5th November 2023 at 18:19.
    May the forza be with you

8. Likes: airshifter (5th November 2023),Bagwan (6th November 2023),Mia 01 (7th November 2023)
    No doubt, Fred showing once again that there is a reason he is still in a seat. I don't think any driver absorbs pressure the way he does, and his use of often unconventional lines in certain areas keeps other drivers guessing. But even he himself said he wasn't sure he could make the pass once Sergio got him, but he made it happen. The man can still think through the chaos and find a way to make it stick most of the time.

Overall, the race was decent if not a bit boring. The midfield kept us guessing with strategy calls and who might end up where, but towards the front Alonso and Perez were the only real thing to watch. Merc faded as deg ate the tires up early, just as with the Sprint. AM are back to form, but only time will tell if they keep it this time around. Alpine ended up with decent points, and overall Gasly had a great race. Watching Leclerc lose the car when the steering gave up was painful, and his slow reaction to it after the impact understandable. If not for the accident and red flag regs Ricciardo might have been in for points along with Yuki, and the AT is showing some late season promise. Lando's blazing start and great finish helped McLaren, but Oscar was the last finishing car.

10. Likes: Bagwan (7th November 2023),Mia 01 (7th November 2023),N. Jones (6th November 2023),Whyzars (7th November 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    If you didn't watch the Sprint shootout or the Sprint, go do it now before somebody ruins it.

Some surprises in the Sprint shootout but the actual Sprint was some of the best racing action we've seen on track in a while. I don't even know if there was a single lap without somebody racing somebody else hard.

If every race was as enjoyable as that Sprint there would probably be a lot more people watching Formula 1.
    It's not the format , Shifter , it's the track .

12. Likes: N. Jones (9th November 2023),Whyzars (7th November 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    It's not the format , Shifter , it's the track .
    I think it's a bit of the whole picture. The track plays a part without doubt, but with a short race they can make without a tire change more pace, more dicing, etc. Once the race distance ups too much, teams have a choice on tires, and then the whole strategy game comes into play, usually resulting in lower speeds on track but less stops coming at least near more stops at higher track speed.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I think it's a bit of the whole picture. The track plays a part without doubt, but with a short race they can make without a tire change more pace, more dicing, etc. Once the race distance ups too much, teams have a choice on tires, and then the whole strategy game comes into play, usually resulting in lower speeds on track but less stops coming at least near more stops at higher track speed.
    If I did understand your final sentence , and it was mighty hard to do , isn't that a good thing , and hasn't that always been the way it goes ?

Having a two stopper be competitive with a three stopper , for example , is a good thing , is it not ?
    And , being compromised by the tires is one of the things that makes it difficult , by design .

It's not that I hate the sprint race , itself , but rather , that it takes the anticipation away from the race un Sunday .