Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

2023 Hungarian Grandprix

The battle in the second tier of the grid is primed to be intense at this race. All eyes are on Mclaren to see if they can repeat their Silverstone form at this Budapest race. This track is mainly slow to medium-speed corners which may suit Mercedes and Aston Martin. Ferrari tends to go very well here as well. Chances are the race behind the Redbull would be crowded and intense as they fight it out for the only available podium position. I say the only podium as l expect Perez to return to form at this race. Hence a Redbull one-two is very likely.

Hamilton has won this race eight times. But l suspect Alonso would be keen to get back on the podium at this race. It is going to be interesting in the midfield as well. Also, all eyes would be on Ricciardo to see how he gets on with the troublesome Alpha Tauri.

I would wager a bet that someone other than Verstappen wins this Hungarian GP, any takers?
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 21st July 2023 at 08:22.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    I am most interested in Ricciardo and how he does.

New qualifying format for this race. All teams would use the Hard for Q1, the Medium for Q2, and the soft for Q3. The total tire allocation for the weekend is 11 tires per car. The hope is that this would stir up the order of things and bring about some exciting racing. I say probably as the race would quickly settle back to the actual pecking order after a few laps. But at least those first few laps would be interesting before it quickly resumes being a snoozefest.

What do you think? is this a good thing or not?
    William Shakespeare

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    New qualifying format for this race. All teams would use the Hard for Q1, the Medium for Q2, and the soft for Q3. The total tire allocation for the weekend is 11 tires per car. The hope is that this would stir up the order of things and bring about some exciting racing. I say probably as the race would quickly settle back to the actual pecking order after a few laps. But at least those first few laps would be interesting before it quickly resumes being a snoozefest.

What do you think? is this a good thing or not?
    It will force them all on to all the tire choices , so all will be compromised to some degree at some point in the qualifying .
    That has potential to mix it up , so , a good thing .

Shorting them skins for the race also could make them take chances they would rather avoid , so that could help as well .

Most importantly , though , is that cutting down the numbers of tires available is really good for our earth .

Quote Originally Posted by F1nKS View Post
    I am most interested in Ricciardo and how he does.
    And , the badger is most interested in how Checo does , and that's not very well .
    Sketchy start for the Mexican , with a busted new wing in FP1 , and then a half mile lock up in FP2 .

I get it . Aussies make me nervous , too , and now there's two on the grid .

Liked 314 Times in 170 Posts
    Interesting that Horner was saying Checo just needs an arm round his shoulder to get back to the front. If Danny's quick in the AT, how long will it be before Horner's arm is nowhere near Checo's shoulder?

7. Likes: Bagwan (22nd July 2023)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Boyd View Post
    Interesting that Horner was saying Checo just needs an arm round his shoulder to get back to the front. If Danny's quick in the AT, how long will it be before Horner's arm is nowhere near Checo's shoulder?
    Ricciardo 14th in FP2 while Yuki finished the day 4th. I think it would be a while yet for Perez to be concerned. But it is clear that Perez is looking like he is feeling the pressure. Silly mistakes tend to creep in when a driver is driving under pressure. The driving is forced and not in the flow.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    It will force them all on to all the tire choices , so all will be compromised to some degree at some point in the qualifying .
    That has potential to mix it up , so , a good thing .

Shorting them skins for the race also could make them take chances they would rather avoid , so that could help as well .

Most importantly , though , is that cutting down the numbers of tires available is really good for our earth .
    Unfortunately, the side effect of the change is, it has resulted in significantly reduced running time for the teams who are constrained by the number of tires available to do a proper setup program. That may cause jeopardy in the quali but fewer cars are on track for fans who have paid to watch the Free Practise sessions. The regulation change is a band-aid for what iis looking like a season that is failing to produce a competition for the championship title. It would not matter much if they stop the season after this weekend. The result down the line would be very much the same.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd July 2023 at 15:48.
    William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Nitrodaze View Post
    Unfortunately, the side effect of the change is, it has resulted in significantly reduced running time for the teams who are constrained by the number of tires available to do a proper setup program. That may cause jeopardy in the quali but fewer cars are on track for fans who have paid to watch the Free Practise sessions. The regulation change is a band-aid for what iis looking like a season that is failing to produce a competition for the championship title. It would not matter much if they stop the season after this weekend. The result down to line would be very much the same.
    Hey , I loved the days when qually specials were the norm , with the lump turned up so far that it only lasted a few laps before being fit for the bin .
    It wasn't sustainable , though .

Those days had long waits for action as teams had an hour to get it done , and wanted to be the last to try .

As we approach qually today , we have seen some quite significant shuffling of the fastest times in the practices , and it seems the Bulls are not so far in the distance .
    Whether this is due to the new format is not clear , but , it looks like it's a little less comfortable for Max and his already uncomfortable team mate .

Remember , they are running a new package as well , and limited in laps available , they seem to be struggling a touch to get it dialed in .

I'm hoping to see tight times ahead , literally .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Hey , I loved the days when qually specials were the norm , with the lump turned up so far that it only lasted a few laps before being fit for the bin .
    It wasn't sustainable , though .

Those days had long waits for action as teams had an hour to get it done , and wanted to be the last to try .

As we approach qually today , we have seen some quite significant shuffling of the fastest times in the practices , and it seems the Bulls are not so far in the distance .
    Whether this is due to the new format is not clear , but , it looks like it's a little less comfortable for Max and his already uncomfortable team mate .

Remember , they are running a new package as well , and limited in laps available , they seem to be struggling a touch to get it dialed in .

I'm hoping to see tight times ahead , literally .
    You said it. And what a lap from Hamilton, to be the second non-Redbull driver to take pole this season. Leclerc in Baku and now Hamilton in Budapest. I suspected that upgrade on Redbull was big enough to upset their program this weekend, but not by that much. The lion roars again. That was a gigantic lap for the seven-time world champion, to remind everyone he is not done yet.

Norris nearly did it for Mclaren but missed out by a flimsy 0.089sec. How F**king close was that? He would be kicking himself, l am sure. It now comes down to whether the Mercedes has the legs to stay in front. A non-Redbull win would be very famous to say the least. Mercedes or Mclaren it doesn't matter. My open bet is stiill up.

Well, the band aid is working.

Most Poles on a single track:

Hamilton 9
    Schumacher 8
    Senna 8
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 22nd July 2023 at 18:32.
    William Shakespeare

12. Likes: Bagwan (22nd July 2023)