Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts

2023 - Race 10 Austria

Austria up next...Story lines

Alonso push to 2nd
    Mercedes resurgence
    Is Checo feeling pressure with the announcement that Riciardo will do the tire test in the GB?
    Who is worst - Devries or Sargeant?

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    Heading to Redbull's tuff, it is going to be all about the two Redbull drivers really. Can Perez step up his game? Of course, weather allowing. Lots of speculation on Pertez's future with Ricciardo in the wings testing to show his current form. If the Spielberg ring turns out to be another bust for Perez, can he survive into 2024?

The fight for second place in the constructor championship is getting tougher than ever between Aston Martin and Mercedes. The Aston seems to have made a step forward over the Mercedes if Canada was anything to go by. Can Aston reclaim 2nd place in the championship this weekend? Ferrari seems to go really well here, can they mount a surprise this weekend?

This is one track that suits Verstappen's driving style more than it suits Perez, so it might be a forgone conclusion; all things being equal. Of course, it comes down to Redbull having a good weekend of operational efficiency and reliability. It is F1, so anything is possible given the right conditions.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Perez falters. Ferrari's shine. Surprise by Norris. Hamilton solid performance. Now to the sprint race.

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    What is this shootout? Didn't qualifying set the grid for the shootout?

I am massively confused.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

5. Likes: Bagwan (1st July 2023)
    Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    OK, I read the details of the new format for the sprint.
    It is obvious that this needs to go. A second qualifying run just for the sprint makes absolutely no sense and needs to be abandoned entirely.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

7. Likes: Bagwan (1st July 2023)
    Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by N. Jones View Post
    OK, I read the details of the new format for the sprint.
    It is obvious that this needs to go. A second qualifying run just for the sprint makes absolutely no sense and needs to be abandoned entirely.
    I say get rid of the whole thing .

It was actually kinda fun to watch , but it takes away from the anticipation for tomorrow's race .

We now know pretty clearly who is fast and who is not .
    All that remains is how well each driver can save his tires .

I thought this sprint thing was all about qualifying the grid for Sunday , and they go and add a separate qually for the race .
    It smells like they are trying anything to fix a non-problem , throwing things at a wall , hoping one will stick .
    It looks pretty "bush league" from here .

It rained today , which helped the spectacle , but it could have mixed up the grid nicely for tomorrow's race , had qually been in the same window of time today .

9. Likes: N. Jones (2nd July 2023)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    I was aware of the new format from seeing the releases about it. I watched qually yesterday and was busy today so didn't turn on to watch the Sprint until 11 PM or so. I was wondering why the grid was so screwed up!

Another dumb gimmick IMHO. BUT, it might give some teams a chance to see points where they otherwise wouldn't, such as today with the Sprint qually and race (or is it still a Sprint non race?) take place in changing conditions vs expected dry race and the qually was dry. That could give good exposure to the lesser teams if they get it right. Gutted for Albon, I think at his point they should have just stayed on the inters but at least they tried.

Combined with the wild Sprint qual session and the fact that the track was drying enough to make many opt to change to dry tires, it was at least some interesting strategy and actually some good racing on track.... or is it still non racing?

Merc blew it in the Sprint qual... just blew it bad. As for the race, Lando got screwed out of a point by George, as George grossly crossed the pit entry on his way in for the tire change. Yuki got a 5 second penalty and a point for doing the same a couple years back.

11. Likes: Bagwan (2nd July 2023)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    'noda!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
    May the forza be with you

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    I'm tired of hearing about how unfair it is to have to stay between the lines , and how they feel it makes F1 look amateur .
    Some drivers stayed in bounds all day .

It also feels a bit "icky" to hear them ratting each other out .
    I suppose they must , though , if they are seeing breaches that the stewards are not .
    The whining(not mentioning any names here) sounds really amateur .

Perhaps some sort of new track sensors or new overhead corner cameras could make white line policing easier for all involved .

14. Likes: airshifter (3rd July 2023),gm99 (2nd July 2023),N. Jones (2nd July 2023)
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I'm tired of hearing about how unfair it is to have to stay between the lines , and how they feel it makes F1 look amateur .
    Some drivers stayed in bounds all day .

It also feels a bit "icky" to hear them ratting each other out .
    I suppose they must , though , if they are seeing breaches that the stewards are not .
    The whining(not mentioning any names here) sounds really amateur .

Perhaps some sort of new track sensors or new overhead corner cameras could make white line policing easier for all involved .
    Back around 2002 there was non of this nonsense and drivers used to always be 4 wheels off the track at turn one. It's up to the FIA to ensure the track bites drivers that go wide or offline. If they haven't done that they are only making unnecessary work for themselves. It was fine 20 years ago, I don't see why it cannot be the same now. This track limits definition of a white line is entirely unnecessary.