Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

The Unsung Hero of the 2023 Australian Grand Prix

A race that will be remembered for years as an opportunity to question to FIA brought us many things that we are left to think about. We saw a dominant display of performance from the Red Bulls, allowing them to achieve P1 and 5, we saw the Mercedes have pace that could ultimately win them a race this season, and we saw Lando Norris do the unthinkable. It isn’t uncommon for the average F1 fan to praise Lando for what he has done in the sport thus far in his Formula One career, but his performance during the 2023 Australian Grand Prix was just another notch on his belt when it comes to fantastic drives. A P6 finish, holding off Sergio Perez in the much faster Red Bull for 15 laps, and putting in lap times that were competitive to the leaders. From what we know this season, this is not something that we should grow accustom to, but a performance like this from Norris is all that he has shown us through his career. He has shown us time and time again that he has arguably the strongest pace of anyone in the field, however, the current car setup doesn’t allow for him to shine the same way that we were able to see in 2021, or Imola 2022. I try not to speak for all F1 fans, but it was nice to have Lando back fighting towards the front.

Liked 308 Times in 206 Posts
    I only briefly watched the highlights and Lando's performance largely went unnoticed by the commentators.
    I'm not one for heros and I'm more disappointed with Perez and his inability to progress through the field in a top car.. but maybe that is unfair to Lando, he has shown his talent quite few times now.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Lando not only kept Perez behind, but was also matching lap times with him only a few laps after Checo went purple. Landos raw pace around Australia was fantastic, and judging by the pace of Piastri as-well, I think that we are starting to see McLaren figure it out. Most people forget that Bahrain and Saudi were tough races for them last year as-well, but it was this point in the calendar when they started to get their act together.

Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts
    I think Man of the Race was Checo. He drove like a man possessed from plume last to finish 5th. He was even more impressive than Verstappen finishing 2nd from 15th in Jeddah.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare