Liked 1,779 Times in 421 Posts
    Pilsner Urguell, ScHnitzel, Mud, Alps, Danube, FrOst, Rain RALLY
    PUSH MAD FOR RALLY
    Colins Crest = Möldri Mätas

2. Likes: EstWRC (31st October 2023)
    Liked 844 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    Rally of the Holly Roman Empire
    Start ceremony in Rome, then liasion to Germany/Czech/Austria for the stages

Rallye Mitropa doesn't sound bad (even though this year's Mitropa cup didn't have rallies in neither Germany nor Czech), but I'm fine with Central European Rally name.

Liked 2,839 Times in 1,612 Posts
    CRAG Rally...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    I guess then they were running them like this because nobody in the EU cared and they were always prepared to go ex-EU.

I've now read that it was a second set of hastily obtained ineligible plates that ended the rallies, the border didn't cause anything but was just the coincidental place of the police checkpoint.

All this aside from the forged documents lol. But I can sleep tonight now, thanks Mirek.
    I can explain that situation a little bit. There is a problem that almost nobody in Europe is checking if the registration plates are really valid. On administrative checking they are checking insurance card, on scrutineering they are checking only FIA golden passport. This is on all WRC/ERC events, in some national championships it is even worse. In reality, there is plenty of cars going on different level of championships with not valid registration plates. And until you will arrive to the origin of the plate or the police is pro-active, nobody is taking care if it is ok or not. Problem is that lot of teams is keeping plates how they brought it from previous owner/manufacturer, but they are not checking the validity...

How the situation started in Germany? Car of Korhonen was moving from service area to scrutineering and police on the way has recognized not valid german plate. So they followed him to the scrutineering, where they started checking the car. Meanwhile they found that plate is not only valid, but also falsified. Meanwhile there was coming car of Jan Skala (rented from 2C as spare car after crash in Herbst previous weekend) with Alzenau plates and active policeman has checked the plate in his database - and it was again invalid. Since that time big action started. Two antons full of policemen arrived. And they were checking all the cars in the fields. In fact, there was more than 10 cars which didnt passed scrutineering because of it. Thanks for them there was enough time between scrutineering and start of rally so they had time to manage it. So in fact, all crews were allowed to start. But some of the teams were able to manage it correctly and some of them not...

BTW, Boland and Windischberger had originally not valid french plates, Gamba had originally not valid czech plates, only Korhonen had originally not valid german plates. But all of them solved the solution by wrong temporary export german plates. Other teams were more clever and used temporary plates of different countries. Including WRC2 winner Nicolas Ciamin. I am sure that if there will not be this german police action, when he will go on czech side, local police will check him and stopped for sure...

One more thing - as I know about this issue, I am in contact with all foreign teams starting on czech rallies, including Barum Rally. I am explaining them the situation and saying that they must come with correct documents and plates. I was not involved in CER organisation, so I was not able to warn them...

6. Likes: cali (2nd November 2023),dimviii (1st November 2023),Kenneth (2nd November 2023),Lead (1st November 2023),manthey (1st November 2023),Mirek (1st November 2023),mousti (1st November 2023),patwalsh13 (1st November 2023),Rally Hokkaido (3rd November 2023),Rallyper (2nd November 2023),seb_sh (1st November 2023),sindroms (2nd November 2023),the sniper (1st November 2023),TWRC (3rd November 2023),WRCStan (1st November 2023)
    Liked 92 Times in 55 Posts
    Wow that sounds weird. Like you would think that teams would get these things right, but I guess it is just one of these things.

8. Likes: WRCStan (1st November 2023)
    Liked 44 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    ...But all of them solved the solution by wrong temporary export german plates...
    Yes, those red plates are "one way plates" for export only, so if you leave Germany they get invalid in Germany and you cannot enter again!!

Liked 3,794 Times in 1,687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pucky54 View Post
    Yes, those red plates are "one way plates" for export only, so if you leave Germany they get invalid in Germany and you cannot enter again!!
    What is strange - Korhonen's car had on scrutineering red plates, but on Thursday and Friday yellow ones...

11. Likes: WRCStan (1st November 2023)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pucky54 View Post
    I think I was focussed on boundaries of customs and not road traffic law which isn't common.
    Last edited by WRCStan; 1st November 2023 at 21:07.

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    I think I was focussed on boundaries of customs and not road traffic law which isn't common. One last question, were 'export' plates necessary on this occasion, or would 'ordinary' (let's say Italian) plates have been OK all along?
    For the rally whatever valid plate is ok.

Export plates are for export not for use and they shall not be used for anything else (and yes, I am aware they they have been used in rallies for decades).
    Last edited by Mirek; 1st November 2023 at 21:04.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

14. Likes: WRCStan (1st November 2023)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PLuto View Post
    What is strange - Korhonen's car had on scrutineering red plates, but on Thursday and Friday yellow ones...
    Well if you're puzzled, I've no chance! The stewards decision on the matter says the police found the plates not suitable for competition, makes it sound OK for ordinary road use.

Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    For the rally whatever valid plate is ok.

Export plates are for export not for use and they shall not be used for anything else (and yes, I am aware they they have been used in rallies for decades).
    Damn, thought I could get away with removing that dumb question.