Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 50 Times in 32 Posts
    Splits for those who have to spectate rallies behind computers are the only way to follow rally even with some live feel to it, i can't imagine it being very exiting to read about a rally two weeks after it was over.
    C'est la vie ja taksi tuo.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    Splits for those who have to spectate rallies behind computers are the only way to follow rally even with some live feel to it, i can't imagine it being very exiting to read about a rally two weeks after it was over.
    In the bigger scheme of things it's inconsequential We want good rallying and the splits have little to do with "fixing" the WRC and making it a more attractive series.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

In the bigger scheme rallying is inconsequential. :
    I have disagree with your about splits not being an attraction, I doubt I'm terribly wrong in saying that lot's of people do follow them.

Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    The problem with split times is that they don't attract sponsors, therefore someone has to pay for it. Enforcing that payment however it's very difficult (if not impossible) because the info becomes widely available and most rally folks are getting it for free, therefore not workable solution. At the same time every sport is exiting to follow if you know what's going on each moment of the race. So, what do we do? I think TV exposure is the answer, extensive live coverage will bring tons of sponsors and we will enjoy live rallying (splits included) for free. That's the way it's done with all other sports.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by janneppi
    In the bigger scheme rallying is inconsequential. :
    I have disagree with your about splits not being an attraction, I doubt I'm terribly wrong in saying that lot's of people do follow them.
    This forum was just as popular before splits came about and people were still able to follow the rally online
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

I'd much rather glance through the splits than read 30 pages of people posting the exact same stage times and asking does anyone know the stage times.
    For the armhair follower it's the most important way to keep up with how the rally is going and perhaps ever try to make some sense in how drivers go through long stages. It's much better than watching Diagnosis Murder on telly.

If the technology to easily broadcast split times directly to viewers would have existed 30 years ago it would have been used and we would now concider it a complete must to have.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    OK well you go read old rally threads with splits on them and get all worked up over that and I'll just follow the WRC thanks.....

The audience the WRC needs is not a load of people pressing F5 on rally-live.com, it needs people to watch on TV and people to travel to the rallies. Splits don't help with that in any measurable amount....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My gripe about the loss of the splits is this.

We as supporters of the sport are loosing a product. The lost of this product won't result in diminshed costs for teams or organizers. It won't decrease costs or increase entries. There will be no benefit to the loss of this service other than improving the bottom line for the greedy managers at ISC (I have lots of stories I simply cannot share about this).

ISC keeps forcing the WRC away from rallying and keeps screwing up the commercial aspects of the sport for the pure and simple reason of making themselves money. The problem with the WRC is the corporatism that has become pervasive in the administration of the series which has caused the sporting value and the subsequent public interest in the sport to errode.

The loss of Rally Radio and the splits is just the beginning of the culling of features and support items for the sake of private proffit at the cost of the championship in general.
    US Hillclimb and Rally Photos
    KevinHahnPhotography.com

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    ISC needs an owner who is a realistic to see that WRC will never be the same as F1 and therefore it's useless to try to reach that visibility.

David Richards has always been a minion to Big Bernie. Whatever Bernie has, Richards has to have too. Whatever Bernie does, Richards has to do it too.

When I first joined this forum over four years ago, this problem was already then at hand.

I have never trusted David's commitment to WRC which is odd, since he has been a codriver. Some weird and twisted way he has always seem to be more interested in big scene of F1 circus

I don't care what the resources are to cover rallying in TV as long it has been done with passion and properly. Now ISC is wasting it's money and our time. Why don't they sell the TV-rights to someone more willing?
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker
    The problem with split times is that they don't attract sponsors, therefore someone has to pay for it. Enforcing that payment however it's very difficult (if not impossible) because the info becomes widely available and most rally folks are getting it for free, therefore not workable solution. At the same time every sport is exiting to follow if you know what's going on each moment of the race. So, what do we do? I think TV exposure is the answer, extensive live coverage will bring tons of sponsors and we will enjoy live rallying (splits included) for free. That's the way it's done with all other sports.
    I had a sense of relief once I read your post.

Well said!
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011