Hybrid View

Liked 682 Times in 478 Posts
    One race doesn't make a season, and speaking only for myself I don't care who comes out as the winners and losers. While early indications shows that RB should still be on top, that can change. But if the AM move up continues, then it's proving that major changes can be made in a single year of development, and other teams can do the same if they get it right in their development path. This doesn't mean it will always happen, it just gives the teams a chance to have more CFD and wind tunnel time.

Teams that got by with lesser resources in the unlimited budget years should have some chance to catch up, but they still need the funds to reach the cost cap. The teams that were throwing huge amounts at problems might suffer, it depends on how budget efficient they were in the past. For all we know Williams will end up a top 3 team, and RB and Ferrari will be middle of the pack. But since RB and Ferrari were the ones to get the new formula right from the start, others will have to play catch up with them.

RB have only taken both titles last year, unless we want to go back all the way to 2013. The new regs don't guarantee a new constructor or driver will win every year, or that margins through the field will always be a tenth of a second. They simply try to somewhat level the playing field for lesser teams to come to grips with things and build more competitive cars.

Liked 792 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    One race doesn't make a season, and speaking only for myself I don't care who comes out as the winners and losers. While early indications shows that RB should still be on top, that can change. But if the AM move up continues, then it's proving that major changes can be made in a single year of development, and other teams can do the same if they get it right in their development path. This doesn't mean it will always happen, it just gives the teams a chance to have more CFD and wind tunnel time.

Teams that got by with lesser resources in the unlimited budget years should have some chance to catch up, but they still need the funds to reach the cost cap. The teams that were throwing huge amounts at problems might suffer, it depends on how budget efficient they were in the past. For all we know Williams will end up a top 3 team, and RB and Ferrari will be middle of the pack. But since RB and Ferrari were the ones to get the new formula right from the start, others will have to play catch up with them.

RB have only taken both titles last year, unless we want to go back all the way to 2013. The new regs don't guarantee a new constructor or driver will win every year, or that margins through the field will always be a tenth of a second. They simply try to somewhat level the playing field for lesser teams to come to grips with things and build more competitive cars.
    I think you describe my favourite part of the new regulations very well. There are good parts that is apparently working. Some might suggest that Merccedes is suffering because they are adapting to working with a tight budget. And Aston Martin which is based on Force India that were masters of punching above its weight with a slender budget is doing better for that inherent reason.

But realistically, it would take a massive injection of funds for any midfield team to compete with the big three as we have seen with Aston Martin and we are likely to see with Sauber when Audi takes over. The cost cap is still high enough for there to be a two-tier grid, but it is low enough to prevent the top teams from spending their way out of poor design choices. They now pay dearly with ignominy when they get it wrong like we are seeing with Mercedes. But that said, it is great that Aston has joined the top tier and Alonso is doing wonders with that car.

I think the 2023 F1 championship is there for Redbull to lose if they mess up. Even with their handicap, they are still very likely to be untouchable. Ferrari and Mercedes do not inspire any confidence at this stage of the season. They may improve and try to capitalize on the Redbull penalty, but l believe the penalty may not hurt Redbull enough for them to challenge for the championship. But this is Formula One, anything is possible.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 9th March 2023 at 08:02.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare