Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    I think the Xsaras are very downgraded. It's strange that the car lost so much perfomance. Stohl and Carlsson are not Loeb, but are guys to run at the same level of Henning Solberg, anda they run very far from the oldest Solberg.
    Henning is in a newer car than them, though, isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by swordsman
    Hehe, yes, but that doesn't really mean it's the same car. How many of the parts are in place since loeb drove? I bet NONE! I'm sure they rebuilt the whole car before the season... I believe there are parts that doesn't hold the same quality as last year - that's quite obvious.
    For example, replacing Loeb with Stohl.

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosmicpanda
    Henning is in a newer car than them, though, isn't he?
    Last year Loeb with the Xsara was faster than Gronholm with the Focus.

This year, the Xsara must one step behind a Focus from Stobbart. As Stohl has a lot of experience in WRC rallyes and Henning still hasn't, would be obvious that these two drivers would fight between them. But Stohl is very far from Henning.
    Three gears are enough!

Manager
    Liked 73 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAM
    But Stohl is very far from Henning.
    Does not necessarily mean that car is the reason for that.
    There are two rules for success
    1. Never tell everything you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJippo
    Does not necessarily mean that car is the reason for that.
    Maybe not. But I think its very strange that Stohl loosing so much speed in so few months (between Wales and MC).
    Also Galli and Carlsson lost lot of times against other drivers compared to last years rallies they participated in.
    And I think its a big time loss if you look what cars they droved before.

Its still early in the season and I dont say that Stohl or the other should take top 5 places, but I predicted at least one top 5 place sometimes but it looks hard when they really have to struggle to get near points.
    "if in doubt, flat out"

Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts
    I willdo something tonight:
    compare same stages in 2006 and 2007, Stohl with 307 last year to 2007 Xsara´s ones.
    Then what happenmed with Loeb, Sordo and Pons Xsaras and the lead.

I am sure to find Stohl being directly slower with this year Xsra than 307, and also slower than the Kronos Xsaras 06 (ven considering Loeb in one league,and Sordo Pons in another).

Tonigh I will post mi view with that information.
    Zeque
    Argentina

OK, here is first part of my review:

Comparing exact stages 2006 vs 2007 in Argentina Rally and Mexico.

I know that surface could have changed, weather, motivation (fighting or securing positions, experience specially in Sordo case), but some observations could be taken from here:

Loeb & Sordo Kronos Xsara in 2006, C4 in 2007
    Stohl Bozian 307 in ´06 and Kronos Xsara in ´07
    In some stages I added for reference Solberg and Gronholm times (to see how much average improvement in the lead was made year over year)

I look at the only 10 stages (4 Mexico and 6 Argentina) with exactly same distance year over year, and respecting if it was first pass or second.

Main conclussions:

Mexico
    Loeb and Gronholm were very little faster in 07 than 06 in Mexico. (in 4 stages Loeb 26 seconds faster in almost 100 km)
    Stohl was faster in Mex with the Xsara in 07 than 307 in 06 (more faster than Loeb and Gron. improvement), his 07 times were right between Loeb and Sordo times in 2006, in 2 stages closer to Sordós 06 times, in the other very close to loeb 06 times.

From here it does not show that the Kronos car is slower in 2007 than 2006

Rally Argentina: (6 stages).
    Gro, Solb, and Loeb were almost 10 seconds faster per stage (almost exactly that) in 2007 than 2006. Part of it is improvement, but some could be due to weather in 2007 being little rainny which in AR means more grip due to less dust)humid conditions in 2007.

Stohl is equally fast with 307 in 06 to Xsara in 07. Take into consideration Stohl was pushing till the end in 06 during his close fight with Galli for positions, while in 2007 he was mostly in a steady but not fighting pace.

With 07 times Stohl is a little faster than Sordo and Pons with 06 Xsaras (ok I know the spaniards were less expereinced and may be not as fasta asStohl in Argentina).

It does not shown a big lost in raw speed of the Xsara, but Focus, Imprezza and c4 improvement over last year seem to have more responsibility with Stohl aparent loose of competitiveness.

This analisys is very partial, and not conclusive.
    But at least for me It started to change my mind, Kronos car does not look very different to last year times. (no in Mexico, may be a little in Argentina, but I guess some loose is due to Shol less commitment)

I can post comaparative times if someone wants them.

I will do the sam for Acropolis.
    I have not done it for Monte or Sweden as Stohl has said he never got a reasonable Xsra in 2007 (brakes and setup)
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ove always wondered if the new cars released each year ar actually significantly faster then the old ones.

Thanks!!

Liked 67 Times in 31 Posts
    Very good work Zequeargentina

But i still have doubts, specially because Mitsubishi Lancer didn't improved nothing and now seems faster in Toni hands than Stohl with the Xsara.

The Xsara must be faster with Stohl than the Mitsu with Toni, Tonis is better driver but no enough to cut the lack of speed between Xsara and Lancer.
    Three gears are enough!

I do think Stohl is a fast driver, maybe at Toni´s pace (not in Finland, but same speed in New Zealand, and faster in Arg, Sardegna, or Acropolis).
    Zeque
    Argentina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ZequeArgentina

If you dont look at the times too much, because its very different conditions every year, but you compare the time loss against the other drivers you see Stohl has lost much.
    I find it hard to believe that the Xsara could go so poor when Loeb was outclassing everyone except Gronholm some rallies in 2006 and remember Sordos first year in WRC? and ending fifth with some great rallies even on gravel.
    A short time later three capable driver struggles to get 1 point.
    "if in doubt, flat out"