Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
I was under the impression that the point of the new regs was to allow for closer racing .

As they were before , the regs had everyone complaining that they couldn't follow closely .
The ironic result of previous diffuser development had added the responsibility to make sure nobody could follow closely .

The working group came up with this formula to increase the air pressure directly behind the cars , and it seems to have been very effective .

I did hear of some fiddling they are considering , for some reason .
I read that they may have teams , in a sprint race trial this year , use only the hard tire in Q1 , medium tire in Q2 , and soft in Q3 .

I'm not sure what that gives us , other than some scrambling to figure out all the compounds in practices , but it seems like it might be a good step forward in environmental terms .
If they make everyone use the same tires for qualification, it almost ensures less passing during the race. As it stands now, the lesser teams can use a softer compound to qualify higher, and the possibility of VSC/SC conditions timed correctly suddenly gives them the chance for a second (or third) stop free or almost free.

I personally like that they have options within the limits given.