Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I must agree with the above sentiments about Penske most likely not going to Le Mans. Pity.

Speedworx, I, as well as many others, care about the LMP1 and LMP2 categories. That's not to discredit GT1 or GT2 (although GT1 has been a joke in the ALMS with only two teams), which are also great, in my opinion.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also follow the Grand Touring race more thant the overall !! the P1 is an Audi affair, with no surprises, whereas the GT1 and the GT2 had both great battles, Aston Marin vs Corvette and Porsche vs Ferrari, Panoz and the surprising Spykers !!

about 2007 I wish that a GT1 could be on the overall poduim, as this year Le Mans saw a great 4th overall by the 64 Corvette ahead of the whole P2 field and the great part of P1.
    Subaru World Rally champion...in 2008 :D

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    For those that are argueing over the Penske's, remember that they are being payed by Porsche NORTH AMERICA, this means that any races outside of North Amercia are going to need extra funnding and Porsche AG have, for some very strange reason, been very apathetic towards motorsport with the exception of the mass produced 911 GT3.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    of course, we all know that Porsche is paying Roger Penske to run its RS Spyder in the ALMS, but why refusing Le Mans ??!! is it the fact that the circuit is not suitable to P2, on top speed ? or the fact that both battles between Audi vs Peugeot vs Pescarolo in LMP1 and Corvette vs Aston Martin in GT1, will stole the whole show from the P2 ?

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Well, it would be very expensive to bring the cars over from America for 3 weeks for the race but mostly I reckon that there's some resistance from the top brass in Germany against having a works Porsche team at Le Mans, though I havnt a clue why.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and why, Audi for 2006 had 2 teams, Champion Racing that raced the old R8 and the R10 for the ALMS, and at Le Mans it was Team Joest, Porsche could do the same, Penske in the ALMS and an European team for le Mans, as at Spa with Manthy Racing

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Well 06 was a development year for the Porsche but this year we could get a customer team turning up at Le Mans, the Spyder was developed to be a customer car in the first place. As I've said before, unless they can mass produce the racer (like the GT3 and its various incarnations) Porsche have been very anti motorsport for some reason. Remember that McNish tested an LMP1 Porsche in early 2000 only for the project to get canned, I believe at the same time that the managment changed. Durring the year Lola and Stephane Ratel tried to get permishen from Porsche to use their body moldes for the Carrera GT to make a GT1 racer to go against Aston an Maserati, but Porsche said no they didnt want it racing. Now I have heard no reason why they are against top level racing, for a company like themselves it doesnt make much sense to me (though they do have a large stake in Audi...).

Like I said, dont expect any works entries at Le mans anytime soon, but privater LMP2 cars is a different matter.