Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Project Latvala jr.

Interesting case this Jari-Matti. Some stages an ultrafast driver, some stages very keen to make mistakes.

Anyway, his future looks a bright one. Mr. Wilson said that this point, Jari-Matti doesn't need to prove his pace anymore, they know it's there. What he needs is consistency covering ALL THREE DAYS. All in all, Mr. Wilson himself said he finds Jari-Matti as a potential future champion.

J-M said that his biggest problem is to maintain his consentration. If all goes well and he has a good feeling, like in the first leg of Sardinia, the driving is easy and fast. But if something is bothering him, it instantly effects his consentration. Then he is vulnerable to mistakes.

Miika Anttila, his co-driver used to work with Mikko Hirvonen also. He said the biggest difference between Mikko and Jari-Matti is that Mikko was/is much more determined with things and decisions. Jari-Matti needs to make things sure by asking many people around him. Therefore the overall feeling is more uncertain. Maiika Anttila figured some reason for it is Jari-Matti's huge desire for success.

All interesting points, because Jari-Matti is still very young. He has all the possibilities to become one of the greatest if he gets more, much more experience and milage from different rallyes.
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    I like Jari-Matti, he's a great talent, and very fast too, he only needs some more experience and find the consistency Loeb has I think he's the best option to replace Marcus at Ford...
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 657 Times in 352 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    All in all, Mr. Wilson himself said he finds Jari-Matti as a potential future champion.
    Hannu Mikkola said same of Toni Gardemeister during final, televised stage of Rally Finland 1999. Look where Toni is now?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And Kankkunen too about Toni in 1999.
    RIP Marco Simoncelli

Liked 353 Times in 209 Posts
    Toni hasn't had the opportunity as JM does now.
    GG: "I'm stinky! I needa good shower and nice bowl of pasta!"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GigiGalliNo1
    Toni hasn't had the opportunity as JM does now.
    And yet Toni drove in the Ford WRC -team few years ago..

But what comes to J-M, in this todays Ilta-Sanomat Marcus said that it has been rumoured that even Citroen would be interested having J-M. Although in the same article Mr. Jouhki said that it's not going to happen...
    Blessed are the woodheads since when the flood will arise they won't drown.

Liked 35 Times in 18 Posts
    How much testing does he have at Stobart?
    Testing is key to consistency these days.

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonkka
    Hannu Mikkola said same of Toni Gardemeister during final, televised stage of Rally Finland 1999. Look where Toni is now?
    I can't speak for Hannu Mikkola but I don't see much similarities in J-M and Toni
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    JM Latvala has a bright future and if he want to be the best driver in next years, he will have to stick with FORD because it is the only team best for him and Malcolm will treat him like his son.

I didn't think that Mikko can do something good in the time he has been with the Subaru, but once in Ford everything changed!! Latvala still has plenty of time in front of him to get experience and learn more and more.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A.F.F.
    I can't speak for Hannu Mikkola but I don't see much similarities in J-M and Toni
    Well, I think Toni had kind of the same problems. Fast, but not consistent. I remember his 3rd place in New Zealand 1999. Great performance, considering he was driving a Seat. At that time, a pretty understandeble statement of Hannu I think. Like he said Henri would have been the greatest Finns of them all.

As for JM. Good driver, fast and I think he will be a Ford works driver as soon as Marcus retires. Let's hope he will be consistent then.