Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 178 Times in 77 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRCStan View Post
    There's not necessarily anything wrong with the events if the promoters responsibilities, commercial structure and regulations could be tweaked. To Adamo's points, I'd start there. Moreover, any change to events would be pointless without revolution here.

On the idea of 'Monzas' though, finish them with a single-venue Sunday rather than a power stage. Combine them with a World Rallysprint Championship on the Sunday. Co-drivers optional. Fly in your VIPs then. If travelling service parks make combining special stages and single-venues more feasible, do it.
    I think there is some smart ... and some history in this comment

1- Super-specials, gymkhanas, circuit racing were all part of the rallies back in the 60s. Closer to us, the first day of the old RAC was "mickey-mouse" stages - lots of them but they wedre more or less inconsequential on the final result.

2- Which brings me to present : i like the idea of a sunday (which in any means is not a proper "classic" rally day as it is so short ...) devoted to easy-to-market, good-for-your-sponsors stages. Whether this is on a track (Nurburgring a good idea) a rallycross track or proper stages, have the cars come back to parc fermé between each run, with interviews etc ... Build up the finale. But ensure that this is only a small fraction of the overall rally and that the guy who is 3 minutes behind after a full 2 days of "real" SS has no chance of leapfrogging everyone ...

I neverr thought I could say something like that, but in addition to a proper filming, this may be whhat is missing to appeal to the riches (sponsors, manufacturers) and the masses.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B View Post
    It's quite odd, when people are talking about visibility/popularity etc, rallying is always compared to Formula 1... Comparing rallying to F1 is like comparing cycling to football. Now everything seems centered about all live, but I really wonder how many (or few) people are watching it. I'm a big fan, have a subscription, but apart from the powerstages I've seen maybe 3 or 4 stages live on it, this year...

For the sport itself and the service-park vs remote service, I think it should be up to the organizers to decide their format. What works in Finland or Croatia does not necessarily work in Acropolis or Wales.
    This is absolutely!! The current format makes sense (I dislike it, and always have) and the reasons are valid. I recall the discussions in the late 90s when the 'cloverleaf' format was introduced; it will bring in more sponsors, cut costs, easier for TV, etc

Here we are in 2022, and I think the sport has gone down a blind alley, and won't turn back. I'd probably keep the current format for now, but maybe experiment with some Saturday evening finishes. However I'd give the 'classic' events far more freedom, including stage km but remembering it's 2022, and not 1992. To me the 'classics' are Monte, Acropolis, Safari & Finland - and if RallyGB ever comes back (not NIreland) then I'd give that classic status.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Current format is ok. But would it be wrong to let the events decide a bit more on what type of rally, serviceplan and length they would like to have in their event?

4. Likes: cali (30th May 2022)
    Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulland View Post
    Current format is ok. But would it be wrong to let the events decide a bit more on what type of rally, serviceplan and length they would like to have in their event?
    I suspect that if this sort of flexibility was to be allowed - and in the hands of an event organiser - then the cost / fee to be an event would invariably go up, because WRC Promoter / teams / FIA / Suppliers would need a contingency to cover their increased costs if an event decides to do something completely mental....

Which would in turn impact the amount of events that actually COULD propose to run in the WRC..

Funny things is - you don't tend to hear event organisers / promoters complaining about the format. And they are the ones that really take a risk to put the events on. And there seems to be no shortage of new events wanting to be in the WRC. So we have to at least admit that the current format is working in some areas....

6. Likes: AnttiL (30th May 2022),Jewy46 (1st June 2022)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WRC Regs
    The total distance of the special stages shall be between 300 km and 350 km. There shall be no single special stage minimum or maximum distance. However, there shall be no more than 80 km of special stages between visits to service parks or tyre fitting zones.

The choice and timing of the special stages must be such that there is no overlap of at least the first 15 cars on any special stage before the start of the next special stage at normal intervals.

The construction of any itinerary that contains any more than 4 special stages (under the exclusion of a super special stage, if any) between two services is subject to FIA and WRC Promoter’s written approval.

The timetable of a rally shall be in the following order:
    – Reconnaissance
    – Administration (may also take place prior to the start of reconnaissance)
    – Scrutineering
    – Shakedown (as detailed in Art. 36)
    – Ceremonial Start
    – Rally concluding with a mandatory ‘Power Stage’ as in Art. 50
    – Podium Ceremony

Rallies must start on a Thursday with a Ceremonial Start or Super Special Stage and finish on a Sunday

Rallies must competitively run over 2.5 days, including section starts or section finishes. Any variation to this format will be subject to the agreement of the FIA and the Promoter

Throughout the rally there shall be one main service park. Organisers may, however, submit to the FIA and the Promoter promotional justification to support relocation during a rally.

The schedule for each car in the service park is as follows:
    -15 minutes before the first SS following an overnight regroup. For the final day of the rally, an organiser may replace this service with a TFZ
    -40 minutes between two groups of stages
    -45 minutes at the end of each section before an overnight regroup.

Other than respecting the following criteria, organisers are encouraged to evolve their own rally characteristics and may devise their own rally programme/itinerary.
    Yes, it would be wrong.

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    Yes, it would be wrong.
    That is only todays rules. Everything can be changed, if the product improves!

9. Likes: AndyRAC (31st May 2022),WRCStan (31st May 2022)
    Liked 105 Times in 53 Posts
    Great post but some points run contrary to a widely misunderstood fundamental. This championship serves WRC Promoter, not the other way round. That's a reality I consider when I posted.

I think we can all spot that things aren't great for the sport but not really see or agree why, which is why we have these discussions. It isn't because we all think it should be as big as F1. Don't think Adamo even made that point.
    You're right, looking back at my post I mentioned F1 too much. I don't actually just mean everyone has F1 in mind as a real target, I just was thinking of the many proposals to make rally less like rally and more circuit-like, with the (perhaps imaginary) idea that that will bring more money and crowds.

Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    That's the thing - if the product improves. Is the product good enough, is it offering value? The evidence would suggest not.......where are the new manufacturers, the major sponsors, etc Too many at the top have their heads in the sand. They keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    So, one event decides that they will have all flying service. All teams must buy service vans and mobile service tents and ditch their service park systems. Another event decides that they will have 1000 stage kilometres, so many components will need redesigning to take that much driving without changing/rebuild.

13. Likes: cali (31st May 2022),pantealex (31st May 2022)
    Liked 615 Times in 326 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC View Post
    That's the thing - if the product improves. Is the product good enough, is it offering value? The evidence would suggest not.......where are the new manufacturers, the major sponsors, etc Too many at the top have their heads in the sand. They keep doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome.....
    I'd like to ask you both what the product is, I'm not sure what you mean. I also believe those at the top are happy with the state of things. 10 Rally1 cars is just about right and they make most of them run, they're not calling for more manufacturers. Happy days!

Anybody know which rally/ies had the longest SS kms, of any championship or none, in the last 5 years? Or just how much demand is there from entrants?

If a breakaway series formed on old-fashioned principles, well, compare the standings of the Golden Era or the McRae years, with the AllLive years. One looks a healthier, more entertaining and competitive championship to me.