Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts

FIA Decisions regarding 2022 released Feb 14, 2022 Michael Masi will be.....

Wait... no decision on the race director yet! Still to be released at a later date. I personally think they will keep him, add assistance, and clarify certain procedures to rid as much grey area as possible. But no doubt either decision they make will be controversial, just like the last race.

BUT.... they did make some changes for the better IMHO.

"2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Analysis
    The FIA President led detailed discussions of the 2021 FIA Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Feedback from the Commission on matters raised will be incorporated into the President’s analysis and he will publicly present news of structural changes and action plan in the coming days.
    Sprint
    Following a review of the three Sprint events that took place in 2021 and a recognition by all that the format created positive benefits for the sport, three Sprint events were proposed for 2022, acknowledging this as a sensible number in light of the pressures already on the teams for this season with the introduction of major changes to the regulations. The Commission unanimously approved the three Sprint events for the coming season, incorporating a number of updates to the format based on the feedback of fans, media and teams. The Sprint events will be:

• Emilia Romagna Grand Prix
    • Austrian Grand Prix
    • Brazilian Grand Prix

The format changes will include:

• Change of official session name from Sprint Qualifying to Sprint
    • Awarding World Championship points for the top eight as follows:
      • 1st – 8 points
      • 2nd – 7 points
      • 3rd – 6 points
      • 4th – 5 points
      • 5th – 4 points
      • 6th – 3 points
      • 7th – 2 points
      • 8th – 1 point

• Awarding Pole Position for the Grand Prix to the fastest driver in Qualifying on Friday

Cost Cap Adjustments for Sprint events will remain unchanged from 2021.
    Treatment of short races
    Following the weather-affected 2021 FIA Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix, the Commission approved proposed updates to the Sporting Regulations as follows:

• No points will be awarded unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the leader without a Safety Car and/or Virtual Safety Car intervention.
    • If the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 25% of the scheduled race distance, the top five finishers will be awarded points as follows:
      • 1st – 6 points
      • 2nd – 4 points
      • 3rd – 3 points
      • 4th – 2 points
      • 5th – 1 point

• If the leader has completed 25% but less than 50% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
      • 1st – 13 points
      • 2nd – 10 points
      • 3rd – 8 points
      • 4th – 6 points
      • 5th – 5 point
      • 6th – 4 points
      • 7th – 3 points
      • 8th – 2 points
      • 9th – 1 point

• If the leader has completed 50% but less than 75% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
      • 1st – 19 points
      • 2nd – 14 points
      • 3rd – 12 points
      • 4th – 9 points
      • 5th – 8 point
      • 6th – 6 points
      • 7th – 5 points
      • 8th – 3 points
      • 9th – 2 points
      • 10th – 1 point

Note that all regulatory changes are subject to approval by the World Motor Sport Council."

So the Sprint will remain. It will no longer be called "Sprint Qualifying" but simply "Sprint". The "Sprint" will still determine starting position for Sunday, however for record purposes the person who qualifies 1st on Friday will be credited with winning qualification. To me this makes sense, since it is the fastest person running in whatever space they create during the session and not racing other cars at the time.

Points for the Sprint will now extend down to 8th place, with a one point gap per position. Though it adds some complexity overall, I really don't care one way or another about this one.... I thought starting at the front Sunday was enough motivation already, but at the same time this does protect a team/driver if say they get taken out on race day but performed well in the Sprint.

Overall good changes IMHO.

As for the shortened races, also good changes IMHO. I don't think it should ever be considered a race until they are let loose with no safety car and no VSC. I wish they would have also clarified things further but it's possible they make those decisions up to the race director. In this instance, I think often the only way to clear the track enough to race when conditions are borderline would be to possibly let them loose under VSC conditions with gaps.... essentially let them speed up faster than the (actual) safety car but not cut them loose to race yet. Since anyone not at front is disadvantaged from the spray, giving it some time to clear first serves both safety and actual racing.

And I sure hope we don't have any two lap races!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Michael Masi dropped. Delighted. There could have been no confidence in him after his idiocy in the last race of the season. And the nerve of him then to turn around to Toto and say "It's called racing Toto" after he had manipulated the 2021 WDC and cost his driver the WDC. He's taking up another role within the FIA but imo that's going easy on him. He should be fired for his arrogance alone.

At least he's gone and F1 has a fresh take with new race directors.

3. Likes: andyone (21st February 2022),Firstgear (17th February 2022)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    Michael Masi dropped. Delighted. There could have been no confidence in him after his idiocy in the last race of the season. And the nerve of him then to turn around to Toto and say "It's called racing Toto" after he had manipulated the 2021 WDC and cost his driver the WDC. He's taking up another role within the FIA but imo that's going easy on him. He should be fired for his arrogance alone.

At least he's gone and F1 has a fresh take with new race directors.
    yeah, well he has done is job and given Verstappen an unearned WDC. I bet you ni 2 years he will be working for RBR.
    Yes, I'm still upset and up until this point didn't feel like engaging in the forums.
    you can't argue with results.

5. Likes: andyone (21st February 2022)
    Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    Wait... no decision on the race director yet! Still to be released at a later date. I personally think they will keep him, add assistance, and clarify certain procedures to rid as much grey area as possible. But no doubt either decision they make will be controversial, just like the last race.

BUT.... they did make some changes for the better IMHO.

"2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix Analysis
    The FIA President led detailed discussions of the 2021 FIA Formula 1 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix. Feedback from the Commission on matters raised will be incorporated into the President’s analysis and he will publicly present news of structural changes and action plan in the coming days.
    Sprint
    Following a review of the three Sprint events that took place in 2021 and a recognition by all that the format created positive benefits for the sport, three Sprint events were proposed for 2022, acknowledging this as a sensible number in light of the pressures already on the teams for this season with the introduction of major changes to the regulations. The Commission unanimously approved the three Sprint events for the coming season, incorporating a number of updates to the format based on the feedback of fans, media and teams. The Sprint events will be:

• Emilia Romagna Grand Prix
    • Austrian Grand Prix
    • Brazilian Grand Prix

The format changes will include:

• Change of official session name from Sprint Qualifying to Sprint
    • Awarding World Championship points for the top eight as follows:
      • 1st – 8 points
      • 2nd – 7 points
      • 3rd – 6 points
      • 4th – 5 points
      • 5th – 4 points
      • 6th – 3 points
      • 7th – 2 points
      • 8th – 1 point

• Awarding Pole Position for the Grand Prix to the fastest driver in Qualifying on Friday

Cost Cap Adjustments for Sprint events will remain unchanged from 2021.
    Treatment of short races
    Following the weather-affected 2021 FIA Formula 1 Belgian Grand Prix, the Commission approved proposed updates to the Sporting Regulations as follows:

• No points will be awarded unless a minimum of two laps have been completed by the leader without a Safety Car and/or Virtual Safety Car intervention.
    • If the leader has completed more than two laps but less than 25% of the scheduled race distance, the top five finishers will be awarded points as follows:
      • 1st – 6 points
      • 2nd – 4 points
      • 3rd – 3 points
      • 4th – 2 points
      • 5th – 1 point

• If the leader has completed 25% but less than 50% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
      • 1st – 13 points
      • 2nd – 10 points
      • 3rd – 8 points
      • 4th – 6 points
      • 5th – 5 point
      • 6th – 4 points
      • 7th – 3 points
      • 8th – 2 points
      • 9th – 1 point

• If the leader has completed 50% but less than 75% of the scheduled race distance, points will be awarded as follows:
      • 1st – 19 points
      • 2nd – 14 points
      • 3rd – 12 points
      • 4th – 9 points
      • 5th – 8 point
      • 6th – 6 points
      • 7th – 5 points
      • 8th – 3 points
      • 9th – 2 points
      • 10th – 1 point

Note that all regulatory changes are subject to approval by the World Motor Sport Council."

So the Sprint will remain. It will no longer be called "Sprint Qualifying" but simply "Sprint". The "Sprint" will still determine starting position for Sunday, however for record purposes the person who qualifies 1st on Friday will be credited with winning qualification. To me this makes sense, since it is the fastest person running in whatever space they create during the session and not racing other cars at the time.

Points for the Sprint will now extend down to 8th place, with a one point gap per position. Though it adds some complexity overall, I really don't care one way or another about this one.... I thought starting at the front Sunday was enough motivation already, but at the same time this does protect a team/driver if say they get taken out on race day but performed well in the Sprint.

Overall good changes IMHO.

As for the shortened races, also good changes IMHO. I don't think it should ever be considered a race until they are let loose with no safety car and no VSC. I wish they would have also clarified things further but it's possible they make those decisions up to the race director. In this instance, I think often the only way to clear the track enough to race when conditions are borderline would be to possibly let them loose under VSC conditions with gaps.... essentially let them speed up faster than the (actual) safety car but not cut them loose to race yet. Since anyone not at front is disadvantaged from the spray, giving it some time to clear first serves both safety and actual racing.

And I sure hope we don't have any two lap races!
    agreed.
    I'm still iffy on the sprint. I wish they just kept Qualify results as the starting grid for Sunday and maybe did a reversed grid for the sprint race.
    Perhaps 1-10 gets reversed and 11-20 get reversed.
    sprint qualifying would be the fastest time from Saturday FP3 session.

That would be my suggestion.
    Should make the sprint race exiting.
    some folks will focus their car on sunday setups, etc.
    Others will try and be strategic with their lap times, and it will all be undecided until the last minute of practice.
    Then the cars will be parce ferme at the conclusion of FP3 for the sprint race...with the usual caveats.
    Last edited by truefan72; 17th February 2022 at 15:32.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 185 Times in 149 Posts
    Massi has been removed and reassigned.

I'm still up in the air as to why the Sprints exist myself. Even with the new points system it seems to be a lot of potential work for the payout, and possible disaster if a car torpedos up the inside of the first corner or something. There is enough risk during the race, and any problems with contact could wear team personnel thin in a hurry.

I'm confused as to their solution on having alternating race directors, but a standing assistant. I would have thought they would do that the opposite way myself. But with more coverage and the "Virtual Race Control".... video feeds and such routed to assist, hopefully they can figure out how to keep things consistent. Direct communications with the race directors will be gone, but communications for clarifications and questions will still feed to them via less intrusive means.

There is still more to be clarified before the season opener, including unlapping procedures behind the safety car. I'm hoping they can sort out a lot of inconsistencies that have taken place over the years, both before and during Masi.

Time to blame someone else for what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    I'm still up in the air as to why the Sprints exist myself.
    It brought higher TV ratings

I'm confused as to their solution on having alternating race directors, but a standing assistant. I would have thought they would do that the opposite way myself.
    Very confusing. Don't understand the European mindset on stuff like this. Having alternating anything only leads to inconsistency instead of consistency.

There is still more to be clarified before the season opener, including unlapping procedures behind the safety car. I'm hoping they can sort out a lot of inconsistencies that have taken place over the years, both before and during Masi.
    The issue that ended the season is a simple fix - make a rule that a race can't end under a safety car and there will be a minimum of 2 laps under green to finish.

10. Likes: airshifter (19th February 2022)
    Ratings are great, but to me the cost of the Sprint is high. Overall I didn't really dislike the short race itself, just the potential for complete carnage.

Ensuring racing laps at the end of the race would be great, but there also has to be a point of not negating tire and strategy advantages/disadvantages. If they red flag under current rules you can change tires, which I really don't think is needed most of the time. If the track is cleaned up and there is no evidence of puncture in the pits, make them race on what they have. The standing start also negates any gaps drivers have pulled, which I really don't like. A bad start after a safety car could ruin a lot of otherwise good races.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Adding two laps could have drivers run out of fuel .

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    Adding two laps could have drivers run out of fuel .
    Change the fueling requirement.