Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    The new Ferrari looks like a peach. If it's as fast as it looks it'll be a demon.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post
    We have to prove proof of concept for a sustainable fart gas fuel supply. Being the only common animals that exist in all countries with races and testing might be humans..... well that could get complicated. Collections points at the sports bars where some watch the races or will this be a commodity that is harvested in home through ventilation systems?
    I found a website once , where the amounts of methane gas that could be created from different animal manures were listed , and it told you specifically , to heat a 1500 square foot house , at 47 degrees latitude , how many chinchillas you need .
    They had an "ark-full" of choices , but , with sewage treatment plants ripe for the picking , you're probably right about the sports bars , just not there in front of the TVs .

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight View Post
    The new Ferrari looks like a peach. If it's as fast as it looks it'll be a demon.
    I was waiting until it was official. It sure does look different. Who got it right..... I'm not sure. But it seems Ferrari have taken (yet another) unique approach to the car and side pod sculpting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan View Post
    I found a website once , where the amounts of methane gas that could be created from different animal manures were listed , and it told you specifically , to heat a 1500 square foot house , at 47 degrees latitude , how many chinchillas you need .
    They had an "ark-full" of choices , but , with sewage treatment plants ripe for the picking , you're probably right about the sports bars , just not there in front of the TVs .
    Well crap.... no chinhchillas's?

Ferrari F1-75

Massive molding on the top of the side pods. Already being called "ponds, lakes, craters, etc" and who knows what else. Many different theories on what they are going with here, but the general idea seems to be that the heat coming out of the vents will somewhat create a small boundry layer that decreases as the air mixes with the ambient temp air. But even some of the aero gurus can't agree on the full impact they will have. Not much for undercut on the sides, but some.

Not as radical looking from the side view, but still unique for sure. But the inlets and the distinct boxy outer edges of the side pod are distinct. The addition of the black on the front of the tunnel inlets and strakes makes it easier to kind of see how things work to some extent.

The top edge of the wing endplates is flat, and seems fairly large. Some shots of the RB shakedown seem to look like this is an approach RB might have taken as well.

Though the official Merc launch is tomorrow, I expect them to hide as much as they can, and the only "real" car we will see is on track. It seems like the RB shakedown run netted a few crappy photos and not much else. Some of these teams are going to a lot of trouble to hide their hand as long as possible.
    Last edited by airshifter; 18th February 2022 at 01:39.

Mercedes W13

Some interesting details on the Merc but it doesn't seem to be the radical departure that some have taken so far.

Tight packaging around the intake and side pod areas. The strakes leading to the tunnel are probably subject to change, but they also have a lot of detail at the floor edges. Some of the wavy "lasagne noodle" shapes, and some fairly aggressive undercuts and angles on the floor edges.

The front wing elements appear to all attach individually to the nose, probably for rigidity in that inboard section. Obviously leaving the wing flatter to feed the tunnels towards the center, and then creating the downforce mostly in the mid wing section.

More evident in this shake down photo is the curve in the lower element of the rear wing. Though they had to deal with some high winds and rain for the shake down run, Russell stated that they car seemed to behave the way they felt it would and similar to their simulator setup.

They showed a lot more than I was expecting, but then again everything could change quite a bit more before testing.

Some shaky and low res photos of the real RB car during shake down runs, but they really don't show enough to bother posting them IMHO.

From that shot on the damp track , I am cautiously happy to see the wake looks taller but not as wide .

From that shot on the damp track , I am cautiously happy to see the wake looks taller but not as wide .
    There are some wet weather spray mist shots from several cars, and the aero changes look promising in that respect. Even a very small amount of water that we can see with the naked eye will stay lower to the track and fall quicker as compared to running in dry air. And even with that in mind, it looks like things behind the cars will be cleaner as far as the aero wake.

There are some wet weather spray mist shots from several cars, and the aero changes look promising in that respect. Even a very small amount of water that we can see with the naked eye will stay lower to the track and fall quicker as compared to running in dry air. And even with that in mind, it looks like things behind the cars will be cleaner as far as the aero wake.
    I didn't understand your second sentence .

I didn't understand your second sentence .
    Just pointing out that the aero wake we see with water mist is not as dispersed as it would be in dry air.

Just pointing out that the aero wake we see with water mist is not as dispersed as it would be in dry air.
    Ok , that spun my head a tad , but I think I get it .

I would have thought , though , that the form of the plume would pretty reasonably represent the effect of the low pressure area , and , outside of that , wet or dry , you were "home-free" .

Is the wake actually wider in the dry ?