Page 30 of 101 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080 ... LastLast
    Liked 798 Times in 380 Posts
    From my perspective, it is the competition that counts.
    Some new guy on the stages won't see the difference if he hasen't any knowledge of the potential faster cars.

But its a perfect way of killing the WRC of today to keep up with 6-7 monsters noone can afford, then we are free of manu's and the not that bright promoters in 5 years time.

Back to the roots, with lokal tuners that can build theire Rally2's, lokal heros fighting, 20-30 cars that can get a top10 spot, much better competition than today, good stories, drivers that are not ruined by the PR-people that speak free, etc.

Sent fra min SM-S901B via Tapatalk
    Radioreporter @ www.radiomotor.no

KNA Lillehammer Motorsport

2. Likes: cali (5th June 2023)
    Liked 103 Times in 33 Posts
    I agree the rally2 switch would be the best solution. We can agree they might be a bit boring, but they should not be slower compared to pre 2017 WRC cars. The competiton is most important and the majority watches the sport through All live anyway, so they cant't see any difference.

With so few cars in current situation the manufacturers championship is also quite ridiculous. You can loose 5 minutes and be on the 20th position in the overall standings, but championship wise you can have the points from 5th position.

For me rally has always been something which is driven with cars that are similar to normal everyday cars. The group B was spectacular, but group A was more similar to the cars you could by from the dealer. For example it was possible to buy a Impreza or Lancer and drive a similar car like Mäkinen or McCrae.

Nowdays the Puma has nothing incommon compared to the Rally1 version.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

4. Likes: cali (5th June 2023),J4MIE (6th June 2023),RS (17th June 2023),skarderud (5th June 2023)
    Liked 140 Times in 49 Posts
    I agree on Rally2 cars as a re-start for another development wave. My experience in motorsport allows to think that every development circle in tech growth requires some big re-shapes to get forward again. These hybrid cars had a good idea, but they just came up to be too expensive and without clear vision beyond few years. Some deja vu from 1986, just the reason was different. I have seen ERC event live with many Rally2 cars - they look good if you do not have R1 to compare with. Check the competition in ERC - very nice and spectacular. I say - WRC need 1 step back now to be able to make 2 steps forward again.

6. Likes: J4MIE (6th June 2023),Lead (5th June 2023),Neige (6th June 2023),RS (17th June 2023),skarderud (5th June 2023),Tauri_J (5th June 2023),TWRC (5th June 2023),TypeR (5th June 2023)
    Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
    I love our sport. Followed it avidly since 1984; competed for 23years. Still love it today. But it feels like it’s slowly dying. It has become less and less relevant outside our bubble of rally fanatics (teams included).

Rallying started out as a test of endurance and speed for road cars across arduous public real-world roads, open to anyone who wanted to take part. Endurance had value then and speed has always been an attraction.

Endurance is not relevant any more for ICE cars. ICE cars are being legislated out because they are harming the planet. Speed is becoming less socially acceptable, especially on the public road. So speed for speed's sake is a hard sell now.

Current rally 1 rules make great cars to watch but they contradict the essence of the sport.

Rally 1 tech is not relevant. It’s a bastardised parallel hybrid developed solely for rally 1 car application - it carries zero credibility in showrooms of dealers. A spaceframe chassis as a rally car? That’s not a rally car, that’s a buggy and that’s what raids are for.

Our sport is as under threat now as it was in 1986 when it was killing people. Except this time round the threat comes from being blind to the reality of the values of the modern world and the apathy for our sport in its current form.

What to do? it’s time for a dramatic 1987 style re-set.

Focus on a formula that uses current production EVs as the basis. Restore the link to what people actually drive. Promote the endurance and toughness of road based vehicles again.

EVs are seeing a public backlash - range, public charging, costs - and sales are dipping.

WRC is the MOST relevant automotive sporting completion for OEMs to promote their products in a positive light against these public concerns. OEMs can compete with their zero emissions technology demonstrate real-world, relevant performance and endurance.

A zero emissions WRC based on current production ZE cars will be different. It has to be or WRC will die. It will be a sensory step down for us fanatics in the bubble. We need to get over that or we'll lose the WRC.

There will always be incredible drivers happy to take an OEM buck to drive these cars on their door handles and that will always be a sight worth seeing.

8. Likes: Andre Oliveira (5th June 2023),AndyRAC (5th June 2023),Corcaíoch (5th June 2023),J4MIE (6th June 2023),lancia037 (6th June 2023),RS (17th June 2023),Tanelv (13th June 2023)
    Liked 131 Times in 60 Posts
    The best post I ‘ve read for a while in here… 👏

10. Likes: Bigalstosh99 (5th June 2023)
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts
    Endurance not relevant anymore? Really? I guess you don't watch GT/ Sportscars.....as nobody told the race organisers, or the manufacturers it's not relevant.

Apart from that you made some good points.

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

12. Likes: EstWRC (5th June 2023),steve.mandzij (5th June 2023)
    Liked 846 Times in 407 Posts
    As I've said before, I firmly believe the WRC should have flexible regulations on powertrain and that they should balance performance between technologies. It's what Dakar has done to attract manufacturers like Audi; regulation flexibility has suddenly made Endurance relevant again.

If rally is to be a marketing tool for the durability and endurance of manufacturers' future tech of choice, then I think this is the way.

14. Likes: Bigalstosh99 (5th June 2023),EstWRC (5th June 2023)
    Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
    my point is endurance does matter . . . but WRC doesn't play that card properly by sticking with ICE - the general car buying public doesn't need convincing about endurance of an ICE in 2023.

zero emissions cars (battery EV OR fuel cell EV) are a different story . . . .

Liked 1,093 Times in 491 Posts
    I don't believe that the general public cares about endurance or anything technical. They want the best possible entertainment. Times have changed and sport is a massive entertainment business.
    Never stop dreaming because one day it might happen.

17. Likes: becher (5th June 2023),cali (5th June 2023),EstWRC (5th June 2023),meh (5th June 2023),sinepikohv (6th June 2023),wyler (8th June 2023)
    Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    When I take non interested people to a rally, the spectacle is all that interests them, not the times, not the fights and not the technology. So Rally1 or something atop Rally2 makes sense even if my friends got excited by Rally2/R5 cars on national events as well.

And furthermore, the WRC should have a more special car than every national championship on the planet and even if casual people are not bothered by the technology behind it, I think as the second most important/biggest top FIA series (also one of two left without BOP) it should remain a technical tour de force.