Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig Breen

Liked 578 Times in 196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jparker View Post
    Why not?
    I think it’s a question of proportionality. Maybe such safety measures would be possible at World Championship level, but if they were made mandatory, it would seriously impact the sport at every other level.

It’s already difficult for volunteers to put rallies on, and I suspect the time and resources necessary to implement such measures at national and regional level would be impossible for most.

So, the question is, as it always has been… are the risks worthwhile?

Craig Breen knew those risks and their tragic consequences better than most, and the story of his career tells you how he felt about it. When you truly love something, you aren’t put off by the downsides. You know the danger is there, you respect it, but it doesn’t stop you pulling your helmet on and chasing the thing you love, the thing that gets you out of bed in the morning.

Rallying was Craig Breen’s raison d’être. He’s paid the ultimate price. Does anyone think he would want to see the sport he loved neutered in such a way in his name? I don’t.

2. Likes: AndyRAC (15th April 2023),AnttiL (14th April 2023),er88 (14th April 2023),J4MIE (14th April 2023),Jarek Z (14th April 2023),Lead (14th April 2023),Maui J. (15th April 2023),PLuto (14th April 2023),the sniper (14th April 2023)
    Liked 168 Times in 128 Posts
    @ouverur, I got your point, but in this particular case the danger looks way too obvious. However, I will not poin fingers without seeing the spot prior the incident.

Liked 9,358 Times in 4,972 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the sniper View Post
    Thoughts with James Fulton too, this must have been an awful thing to experience. I hope he's being appropriately supported.
    Indeed. Local reports say he was in a state of total shock when taken from the car.

The disbelief must've been extreme as the accident didn't seem that heavy. Fans nearby said they just expected the car to reverse and continue.

5. Likes: Eli (15th April 2023),Katvala (14th April 2023),the sniper (14th April 2023)
    Liked 234 Times in 102 Posts
    @ouverur, I got your point, but in this particular case the danger looks way too obvious. However, I will not poin fingers without seeing the spot prior the incident.
    It looks obvious in hindsight. There are dangers everywhere, in about every rally. You cannot cover up/cushion or block off all the cliffsides, rivers, lakes, trees(!!), fences, electrical poles, hinkelstein ++. That would cost an extreme amount of labour. If we are to go that route, we might as well skip the sport and direct to safer circuit racing instead.

It is tragic what has happened. Rallying is dangerous, and while the cars have never been safer than they are in this new era and regulations are put in place to make it safer, there is still a risk the drivers and Co drivers take at the end of the day. The amount of crashes that drivers can just walk away from, just look at Tänak's big Monte Carlo crash. Had Breen hit the pole just 20cm further ahead, then probably he'd walk out of the car unharmed. Theres if's and there's but's.

Rest in peace Breen, you were one of my favourite drivers ever. What an incredible personality that we have lost from the sport forever

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

7. Likes: AndyRAC (15th April 2023),Corcaíoch (15th April 2023),dimviii (15th April 2023),Eli (15th April 2023),er88 (15th April 2023),J4MIE (15th April 2023),Jarek Z (14th April 2023),lancia037 (16th April 2023),Lead (15th April 2023),MarkT (15th April 2023),PLuto (14th April 2023),the sniper (14th April 2023),WUff1 (15th April 2023),[RMC]Pip (15th April 2023)
    Liked 331 Times in 107 Posts
    Why not?
    make a wild guess why not...

FOS-Rally-Stage-002-1200x800.jpg

some of you guys should pay a fee to walk among non retarded people....

Quote Originally Posted by NOT View Post
    make a wild guess why not...

FOS-Rally-Stage-002-1200x800.jpg

some of you guys should pay a fee to walk among non retarded people....
    Go to masturbate or pick up a ship stupid.

Liked 331 Times in 107 Posts
    Go to masturbate or pick up a ship stupid.
    how deep into the forest are we covering the trees ? because a car can also go between a few trees and crash 10-20 meters into the forest... do we also have to trim the branches of all trees and bushes in case they go through the windshield ?

11. Likes: WRC1 (16th April 2023)
    @katvala. What hindsight? It is long straight ending with right turn. You miss the turn and go straight into the fence. How more obvious you would like it to be to consider it dangerous?

Liked 234 Times in 102 Posts
    @katvala. What hindsight? It is long straight ending with right turn. You miss the turn and go straight into the fence. How more obvious you would like it to be to consider it dangerous?
    There are such dangers all over most of the stages. Fences are very common alongside roads. Houses, cliffsides, trees. Do you suggest that they put up cushions in front of trees in a forest stage? No car will allow you to survive a head on crash into a tree at full speed. If Breen hadn't crashed where he did, nobody would've pointed out that area. Just look at footage from any rally stage and you'll see hazards everywhere. Covering up everything would cost a ton and not be worthwhile. The other option was like I say to start driving on race tracks instead, or to only do open field rallies like most of Ypres is..

I feel that I and others here have already answered this. They do already put hazards in the notebooks, put chicanes etc in some dangerous places. But doing this for all corners across 300+ kilometers in a rally, plus test stages, just isn't happening.

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

14. Likes: J4MIE (15th April 2023),ouvreur (15th April 2023),PLuto (15th April 2023)
    Liked 578 Times in 210 Posts
    If you saw the video taken shortly before the crash by someone standing almost exactly where the accident happened, it wasn’t a long straight and he wasn’t going that fast.
    If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off!