Page 56 of 141 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866106 ... LastLast
    Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    It was so public that did not remember that maybe this was 1st time confirmed
    I remembered it being knowledge without ever openly being spoken about in the media. Whereas Meeke to sign a multi year deal with Toyota in 2016 was more widely spoken about publicly, because Shitroën wanted it known mostly.

Citroen managed to persuade Meeke to stay by offering him wrc starts in 16, which they didn't initially want to do.

I bet Meeke regrets his decision - although you can't take away his wins that season. And I guess Suninen is also wondering how differently things could have been if he got in at Toyota too.

2. Likes: Jewy46 (17th February 2022)
    Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts
    Suninen was also offered a seat at Skoda's WRC2 team for 2017, but with the condition that he lets Tidemand win the title.

Liked 2,276 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Suninen was also offered a seat at Skoda's WRC2 team for 2017, but with the condition that he lets Tidemand win the title.
    I've critisiced skoda in the past for trying to manipulate which of their factory drivers wins the titles..., but was shut down on here "as it not being possible".

Liked 10,522 Times in 4,616 Posts

2022 WRC News & Rumours

Quote Originally Posted by er88 View Post
    I've critisiced skoda in the past for trying to manipulate which of their factory drivers wins the titles..., but was shut down on here "as it not being possible".
    2016 WRC2 score
    Suninen 120
    Tidemand 85

Both had the same car, except Suninen’s was prepared by Oreca.

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    With regards to 2017 Toyota lineup.

Joukhi was Latvalas and Suninens manager (and previously Makinens). While Lappi was managed by Veiby.

So it seems pretty clear that Joukhi "sacrificed" Suninen for Latvala. Hardly a surprising choice on his part.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    So it seems pretty clear that Joukhi "sacrificed" Suninen for Latvala. Hardly a surprising choice on his part.
    Don't know about that. If Jouhki was about to sacrifice his own clients he probably would not have been in the biz as long as he has. Maybe he was looking at the "big picture" and with no competitive miles driven with 2017-spec cars, putting Latvala in a Yaris with the prospect of Suninen doing few events in a Fiesta wasn't such bad deal to start with. One thing we have to remember about Jouhki is that even though he has obvious and self-admitted financial targets in rally managering, his family business is worth a lot more than what the rally part could ever produce. I.e. there's no need to try and squeeze the last euro out of every contract each and every year.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

8. Likes: becher (16th February 2022),pantealex (17th February 2022),Rallyper (17th February 2022)
    Liked 488 Times in 188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Btw, regarding the topic that was also briefly touched during the interview, Suninen is just brilliant in his new WRC commentator role on Finnish media outlet CMore. Really looking forward to hear him again in Sweden.
    This was the part that interested me. Teemu mentioned that maybe he talked out too much secrets. Maybe someone heard something interesting?

And about the Betsafe interview then I also think it was very good. And also that Teemu can't talk BS. If the interviewer knew something about the background (for example the breakfast situation in M-Sport) and could describe it something along the lines then Teemu just confirmed it.

And just out of interest, how is Kalev Kruus's Finnish? Sometimes it felt that he is trying to remember some expressions etc but in general it felt smooth.

Liked 1,995 Times in 793 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    This was the part that interested me. Teemu mentioned that maybe he talked out too much secrets. Maybe someone heard something interesting?
    I didn't catch any secrets as such on the Monte coverage. He was more telling about things like what kind of approach mixed tires require and stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by flat_right View Post
    And just out of interest, how is Kalev Kruus's Finnish? Sometimes it felt that he is trying to remember some expressions etc but in general it felt smooth.
    Smooth is an understatement. Yeah, maybe he was trying to remember some specific catchphrases at times, but it definitely didn't make any difference.
    ku ois neljä pyörää ku vetäis ni ois vähän eri sekunnit kyllä pätkillä, sen mä takaan

11. Likes: cali (17th February 2022),flat_right (18th February 2022)
    Liked 1,884 Times in 737 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Allez Andruet View Post
    Don't know about that. If Jouhki was about to sacrifice his own clients he probably would not have been in the biz as long as he has. Maybe he was looking at the "big picture" and with no competitive miles driven with 2017-spec cars, putting Latvala in a Yaris with the prospect of Suninen doing few events in a Fiesta wasn't such bad deal to start with. One thing we have to remember about Jouhki is that even though he has obvious and self-admitted financial targets in rally managering, his family business is worth a lot more than what the rally part could ever produce. I.e. there's no need to try and squeeze the last euro out of every contract each and every year.
    The sacrifice was what happened if i don't remember wrong, 2 hours long so couldn't find it now
    https://open.spotify.com/episode/4Lvk4bQRj0r6Uyggd9JWMj
    "Die with memories, not with dreams" Scott McIsaac
    http://www.motorsportfilmer.net

Liked 404 Times in 213 Posts
    So the plan for 2017 was Lappi and Hänninen full season and Suninen a partial season?