Page 8 of 34 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    10 seconds to take my rival out? Don't mind if I do. What a joke of a penalty.

2. Likes: Mia 01 (19th July 2021)
    Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Well, that added something to the race. IMHO a justified penalty, as Lewis was behind and had well more than a car width. You can't keep diving towards a late apex when there is a car there, it just doesn't work.

Glad that Max seems to be fine, and I do think that off might bring up the run off area there. He didn't scrub much speed at all on the way to the wall, so a double wall might be a wise idea. Also interesting how the wheel came right off, but that's another issue.

Other than that, some really good drives.

Lewis drove a great recovery drive once he got his head down. Hard to say if he was in long game mode on the first set of tires and not wanting to take life out of them to pass Leclerc, of if the Merc just fired up the hards better and thus the lap times. Either way, not much in it at the end and he had to push hard to make it to the front.

Good to see that Ferrari had a good race, even with Leclerc's issues. Though Lewis was on fire after the stop, the time lost with the problems on the Ferrari might have given Charles a chance at the win. But he did well to keep it in second spot, and a good recovery drive from Sainz to bring the car up to 6th spot.

Ricciardo finally had a good race, but Norris got screwed out of a shot at a podium with that pit stop. Being we know that Bottas isn't very racy on track, that 4 seconds was huge. And Lando had the additional issue of coming out behind Alonso.

Stroll, Ocon, and Tsunoda were all fairly solid drives, and as is often the case Alonso got the most out of the car on race day.

Crap weekend for Perez, and I think RB seemed to drop the ball with messing with his strategy today and calling him in early. But then RB was also wise enough to make the call to go for fast lap to steal the point from Lewis..... and in the process gave up a point themselves. In a tight battle that point might matter.

I swear listening to Croft and Brundle worship Lewis is bad enough on any track, but downright enough to make you sick at the British GP. I especially liked the moaning over the penalty and how it had ruined Lewis's race. Then they ignore the rest of the race and rattle on about anything Lewis related, all with such sickening glee.

And as usual here on the forums, both sides of the opinion on Lewis make their love, dislove (yes new word I made up for this!), and biases known as well. It reaches a point of just silly IMHO.... it's a race and things happen. Had this been two of many other drivers nobody would have their claws out one way or another most likely. Some of you sound like Toto with the new rule he fabricated to justify that it was only the fault of Max.

4. Likes: Tazio (19th July 2021)
    Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    May the forza be with you

Liked 1,082 Times in 604 Posts
    Racing incident although I think Max cut in too sharp. Anyway, crazy race, I thought the sprint race was cool, sad to see George can't seem to cut into the top ten.
    " Lady - I'm in an awful dilemma.
    Moe - Yeah, I never cared much for these foreign cars either."

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter View Post

I swear listening to Croft and Brundle worship Lewis is bad enough on any track, but downright enough to make you sick at the British GP. I especially liked the moaning over the penalty and how it had ruined Lewis's race. Then they ignore the rest of the race and rattle on about anything Lewis related, all with such sickening glee.

And as usual here on the forums, both sides of the opinion on Lewis make their love, dislove (yes new word I made up for this!), and biases known as well. It reaches a point of just silly IMHO.... it's a race and things happen. Had this been two of many other drivers nobody would have their claws out one way or another most likely. Some of you sound like Toto with the new rule he fabricated to justify that it was only the fault of Max.
    I'm not sure what race you were watching but they absolutely did the opposite. Go back and watch it again.
    As the incident happened. Brundle initially blamed Hamilton. Croft when on a 5 minute diatribe about Hamilton's responsibility to leave room and what he should and should not have done.
    They then went to Button, who predictably blamed Hamilton
    Then they went to Hill who blamed Hamilton
    Then back to croft and Brundle, who gave initial comments from RBR, and then Brundle started to rethink a bit
    More comments from RBR, then almost 7 minutes later they go to Chandhock, who gave some detailed analysis and said at worst it was a racing incident.
    Then they went back to Brundle who amended his statement and called it a racing incident.
    Hill then changed his tune and said it was a racing incident but feared the stewards would give a penalty.
    Button still insisted it was Hamilton's fault and went on about what he would have done.
    Croft then went on a bit of speculation about what the stewards should punish Hamilton with and the fact that the WDC leader was taken out etc.
    Ted Kravitz then intervened about the stewards decision, saying that these 4 guys are experienced and would not let emotion or the outcome of the incident factor into the actual incident itself. He went on about them not being emotional etc. (lol)

And then plenty of more comments from RBR and their woes.
    As the race restarted, the 10sec penalty came down, to which Croft instantly got it wrong and thought it was a 10s stop and go, and went on in some glee about how Hamilton's race was ruined.
    When he was corrected that it was only a 10s timed penalty, he then switched gears and talked about it being the 2nd least penalty they could have given. Several times.
    When the radio message came through from Bono to Hamilton, they instantly (they meaning Croft and Kravitz) associated Hamilton's silence not with disappointment, or the notion that he probably knew some penalty was coming right or wrong, but instead with some kind of malicious glee and satisfaction.
    Then throughout the race, they kept coming back to the RBR folks and Horner.
    Croft throughout the race also kept mentioning in a not so subtle way how the incident closed up the championship and how RBR could not be happy etc.
    Right after the race they gave Horner more of a platform to spew his nonsense.
    At no point during the race, did they make any attempt to figure out Mercedes and Hamilton's side. No interview, no comments from Wolf, nothing.

So out of all that, you figured they were swooning over Hamilton? SMH

It's funny how Verstappen can go through the entire 2021 season chopping off folks and driving beyond aggressive.
    While Hamilton has always driven with respect and fairness. He doesn't drive his opponent off the track, he doesn't weave around like crazy and most assuredly he has enough spatial awareness to know how to make a pass without relying on his opponent to chicken out. If he makes a mistake, he is usually the first to raise his hand and apologize. But all that means nothing to folks who can't wait to jump on him even in a 50/50 racing incident.

OK, I'm moving on to Hungary.
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by truefan72 View Post
    I'm not sure what race you were watching but they absolutely did the opposite. Go back and watch it again.
    As the incident happened. Brundle initially blamed Hamilton. Croft when on a 5 minute diatribe about Hamilton's responsibility to leave room and what he should and should not have done.
    They then went to Button, who predictably blamed Hamilton
    Then they went to Hill who blamed Hamilton
    Then back to croft and Brundle, who gave initial comments from RBR, and then Brundle started to rethink a bit
    More comments from RBR, then almost 7 minutes later they go to Chandhock, who gave some detailed analysis and said at worst it was a racing incident.
    Then they went back to Brundle who amended his statement and called it a racing incident.
    Hill then changed his tune and said it was a racing incident but feared the stewards would give a penalty.
    Button still insisted it was Hamilton's fault and went on about what he would have done.
    Croft then went on a bit of speculation about what the stewards should punish Hamilton with and the fact that the WDC leader was taken out etc.
    Ted Kravitz then intervened about the stewards decision, saying that these 4 guys are experienced and would not let emotion or the outcome of the incident factor into the actual incident itself. He went on about them not being emotional etc. (lol)

And then plenty of more comments from RBR and their woes.
    As the race restarted, the 10sec penalty came down, to which Croft instantly got it wrong and thought it was a 10s stop and go, and went on in some glee about how Hamilton's race was ruined.
    When he was corrected that it was only a 10s timed penalty, he then switched gears and talked about it being the 2nd least penalty they could have given. Several times.
    When the radio message came through from Bono to Hamilton, they instantly (they meaning Croft and Kravitz) associated Hamilton's silence not with disappointment, or the notion that he probably knew some penalty was coming right or wrong, but instead with some kind of malicious glee and satisfaction.
    Then throughout the race, they kept coming back to the RBR folks and Horner.
    Croft throughout the race also kept mentioning in a not so subtle way how the incident closed up the championship and how RBR could not be happy etc.
    Right after the race they gave Horner more of a platform to spew his nonsense.
    At no point during the race, did they make any attempt to figure out Mercedes and Hamilton's side. No interview, no comments from Wolf, nothing.

So out of all that, you figured they were swooning over Hamilton? SMH

It's funny how Verstappen can go through the entire 2021 season chopping off folks and driving beyond aggressive.
    While Hamilton has always driven with respect and fairness. He doesn't drive his opponent off the track, he doesn't weave around like crazy and most assuredly he has enough spatial awareness to know how to make a pass without relying on his opponent to chicken out. If he makes a mistake, he is usually the first to raise his hand and apologize. But all that means nothing to folks who can't wait to jump on him even in a 50/50 racing incident.

OK, I'm moving on to Hungary.
    I watched the race, and I'm fully aware that they had a temporary period where they couldn't deny the facts, nor censor the opinions of the other drivers that weighed in on the issue. In true form they recovered quickly and went about their display of love for all things Lewis.

Unlike random people on the internet, they have a professional reputation to consider, so they can't always turn a blind eye to everything they see.

And I'm fully aware that those random people on the internet can also claim the saintly status of having never raced and made a mistake, and only the opposition is ever a wrongdoer.

All the drivers, even the greats, get it wrong sometimes. That's what happened to Lewis today.

9. Likes: Bagwan (19th July 2021)
    Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Red Bull relieved: "Want to thank the track marshals and medical staff"
    18-07-2021 22:34 | Updated: 18-07-2021 22:54
    by GPblog.com

After the nasty crash Max Verstappen had to deal with on Sunday afternoon, he was actually sent directly to the hospital for tests and evaluation. There he was discharged later on Sunday evening. All tests were good.

Red Bull reacts with relief in a press release and is happy that Verstappen is not hurt. "Following an incident on the first lap at Copse Corner between Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton during the British Grand Prix, we can confirm that Max Verstappen ran from his car and was immediately taken to Silverstone Circuit Medical Centre."

"Following an assessment by the doctors at Silverstone Circuit Medical Centre," Red Bull continued, "Max was taken by helicopter to Coventry Hospital for further tests and observation."

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/89522...cal-staff.html

Verstappen snipes at Hamilton: "Disrespectful and unsporting behaviour"
    18-07-2021 18:54 | Updated: 18-07-2021 18:58
    by GPblog.com

Max Verstappen doesn't have a good word to say about the party Lewis Hamilton threw after he won the British Grand Prix. The driver of Red Bull Racing calls it unsportsmanlike conduct of the number two in the world championship of Formula 1. Fortunately, Verstappen said that he himself did not suffer any physical damage from the crash.
    "I'm happy to be okay," Verstappen opened on social media. "I'm very disappointed to have been knocked out like that. The penalty given doesn't help us and doesn't do justice to the dangerous move Lewis made on the track." The ten-second penalty was therefore far too little in Verstappen's opinion.

Despite the penalty, Hamilton took the win on his home track Silverstone. He celebrated that very extensively with his fans. "Watching the celebration while I'm still in the hospital is disrespectful and unsportsmanlike behaviour, but we continue..." Hamilton himself indicated afterwards that he was unaware that his Dutch title rival had gone to the hospital.

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/89483...behaviour.html

Max Verstappen hits out at Lewis Hamilton over ‘disrespectful’ British Grand Prix celebrations
    Verstappen wrote a message on Twitter while still in hospital criticising Hamilton for celebrating his victory at Silverstone

https://inews.co.uk/sport/formula-on...76?ITO=newsnow

Verstappen torches ‘disrespectful, unsportsmanlike’ Hamilton in angry tweet

https://www.foxsports.com.au/motorsp...5fc40613a5e382

Hamilton “went in too hot” in Verstappen collision – Ricciardo
    2021 British Grand Prix
    Posted on
    18th July 2021, 18:3918th July 2021, 23:59 | Written by Keith Collantine

https://www.racefans.net/2021/07/18/...ion-ricciardo/

Horner slams victorious Hamilton after Verstappen crashes out
    Alan Baldwin
    July 19 2021 02:45 AM

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner accused British Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton of putting title rival Max Verstappen’s life at risk with a ‘desperate’ collision that ended the Dutchman’s race yesterday.
    Horner said Mercedes’ seven-times world champion, the most successful driver in the history of Formula One, made an amateur error in trying to pass at Copse corner on the opening lap and dismissed the Briton’s 99th career victory as ‘hollow’.
    He said Hamilton, who did not feel he was to blame for what others also called a racing incident, had put a fellow competitor’s safety “in jeopardy”.
    “We’re just lucky today, unfortunately after a 51-G accident, that there wasn’t somebody seriously hurt. What I’m most angry about is the lack of judgement, or the misjudgement and desperation,” he added.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/oth...-40666322.html

"Dangerous" Hamilton under siege from Red Bull after 51g Verstappen crash - GPFans F1 Recap
    Sam Hall
    Sunday 18 July 2021 23:30

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner has labelled Lewis Hamilton as “desperate” and “dangerous” after he sent title rival Max Verstappen spinning into the barriers and hospital with a 51g impact at F1's British Grand Prix on Sunday.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/67...fans-f1-recap/

“The move was never on and resulted in a 51G impact for Max” – Red Bull’s Christian Horner
    By Nick Golding
    July 18, 2021

Due to being in hospital during the post-race interviews, Verstappen was unable to comment on the incident, however Team Principal Christian Horner did share his thoughts and where he believes the fault lies for the crash.
    “This is an incredibly difficult way to end the British Grand Prix weekend and it goes without saying that we are all just thankful Max was able to walk away from the car, despite later being taken to hospital for precautionary checks, where he currently remains for observation. I have reviewed the footage many times and still cannot help but feel that putting a wheel up the inside at Copse, one of the fastest corners in this World Championship, was ill-judged and a huge risk by Lewis to both drivers.
    “He was not significantly alongside Max as you can see from the point of contact, Lewis’ front left to Max’s right rear. The move was never on and resulted in a 51G impact for Max. We are in contact with Max and Jos and will provide an update later today. “

https://www.thecheckeredflag.co.uk/2...ckered+Flag%29

Hamilton wins 'hollow' British Grand Prix after Verstappen collision
    CGTN
    Formula 1 11:05, 19-Jul-2021

https://news.cgtn.com/news/2021-07-1...zVK/index.html

'Dangerous' Hamilton wins 'hollow' British Grand Prix after Verstappen collision
    Issued on: 18/07/2021 - 21:30Modified: 18/07/2021 - 21:28

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...ppen-collision

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    I watched the race, and I'm fully aware that they had a temporary period where they couldn't deny the facts, nor censor the opinions of the other drivers that weighed in on the issue. In true form they recovered quickly and went about their display of love for all things Lewis.

Unlike random people on the internet, they have a professional reputation to consider, so they can't always turn a blind eye to everything they see.

And I'm fully aware that those random people on the internet can also claim the saintly status of having never raced and made a mistake, and only the opposition is ever a wrongdoer.

All the drivers, even the greats, get it wrong sometimes. That's what happened to Lewis today.
    Lewis did get it wrong yesterday but to isolate blame on Lewis alone is not fair because Max also got it wrong. He could have gone much wider at Copse and given Hamilton more room. They both erred, and Max paid the price.

Otmar Szafnauer immediately called it a racing incident. Initially I thought Hamilton was to blame but then seeing that Verstappen didn't give him enough room as well in Chandhok's analysis made it clear to me it was a racing incident. While I fully understand your position that Hamilton got it wrong, I don't understand why you can't see that Max also got it wrong.

12. Likes: N. Jones (26th July 2021)
    Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    What kind of sanctions does the jury have to their disposal?

in my books this is a very serious incident, where Verstappen easily could have been killed, had the car hit the wall in a different angle or Max`s head first if car flipped.

Then Hamilton almost did the same again passing Leclerc.

In my book Hamilton is getting to desperat to win, and is now reckless. And the penalty was imo to small. You need to think potential consequenses in these cornering speeds.

Hopefully cornerimg speed will go down with the 2022 cars.

14. Likes: Mia 01 (19th July 2021)
    Liked 790 Times in 652 Posts

It is quite interesting how your perception of events is at odds with what really happened. At the time of the event, the British media pointed their collective fingers squarely at Hamilton. The only real objective perspective of the incident came from Karun Chandhok only. The whole televised event was sickenly biased. The context of the event being a hard-fought world championship duel between Verstappen who was very noticeably weaving dangerously to defend his lead and Hamilton's reaction which l thought were too respectful, thus giving Verstappen plenty of opportunities to recover lost ground. Up to the inevitable moment of the crash that everyone really saw coming.

I did not see objectivity in the Skysport or Channel 4 televised commentary. Though there was a change of tune in the commentaries towards the end of the broadcast. It was clearly very begrudging and hollow praise for Hamilton. It was ugly to say the least.

There seem to be an air of all the media wanting Mercedes and Hamilton to lose this championship. They want to see that team beaten and Redbull was their hope that this would happen. The disproportionate reaction of the media influenced the stewards to do nothing other than giving some form of penalty for what was obvious to them was a mere racing incident. Especially since a similar tyre contact happened further down the grid with the driver sent off the track but luckily without a crash into the barriers. This, without a penalty of a warning. Where is the consistency l ask again. The penalty was an emotional reaction to the incident rather than a product of objective and detailed analysis of the incident.

Maybe, F1 needs a third independent body to be responsible for the stewarding of events. Clearly, F1M is not up to the task.

That said, nobody wants to see a driver sent crashing into the tyre walls. Grosjean's crash is still in the back of everyone's mind. Hence, we were all horrified by the incident. But it takes two to tango. The only fair way to look at the situation is to look at both drivers contributions to bringing about the situation.

The whole mentality about backing out is simply ridiculous. The lead driver ought to know that the chasing driver would not back out and should protect themselves from a crash, especially knowing they have more to lose if it goes wrong. That there is the difference between great drivers and mediocre drivers.

It is just stupid rolling the dice all in when one is already ahead.
    Last edited by Nitrodaze; 19th July 2021 at 10:09.
    Better a witty fool than a foolish wit.
    William Shakespeare

16. Likes: truefan72 (19th July 2021)