Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Question Has Nick Heidfeld proved himself in this season?

For many years there has been discussions that how good Heidfeld exactly is. As Heidfeld has never reached to the top and won a race, then in those disputations there have always been very different opinions, which can mainly be put into two groups. Nick defenders have said that he is consistently quick and error-free, having beaten or at least matched all his team-mates, which have all been strong with the exception of Pantano, and the only problem has been the machinery, which has usually been not better than mediocre. On the contrary the members of the more critical group have highlighted that Nick is unspectacular, being never able to put in one incredible performance and therefore drives "consistently mediocrly". He is also said to be 'too soft' to become a serious title contender and he hasn't risen into a top team, because he just isn't good enough.

Now the 2007 season has probably encouraged Heidfeld supporters as Nick has driven closer to the top than ever before. So the question in the title of the thread is more directed to the German's long-time doubters to who Heidfeld might still look unspectacular as he drives consistently in fourth place, but hardly manages higher than that.

So... just a few days ago Heidfeld became 30 years old and at least in theory he is in the best age of a racing driver. Is his time about to come as BMW seems to be a future team? Can he become a serious title contender in the future? Can Nick become the next German superstar after Michael?

Nick Heidfeld - WDC 2008! <-- is this dream impossible or accomplishable given the constant rise of BMW and provided continuous outdriving of team-mate?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    it really depends on how bmw's progress goes. They have shown they are the 3rd quickest team with both kubica and heidfeld showing good speed and delivering results like 4th place when the car's reliability is good. They are close to ferrari and mclaren but not close enough, yet they are still a fair way in front of red bull, renault and williams etc.

If next year BMW can rise up like Renault did or Williams did a few years ago then there is no reason why he cannot win races. I see similarities between BMW and renault a few years ago who in 2004 were there abouts but still not the best team but in 2005 they improved dramatically. I would think with manufacturers BMW's input, they would have a lot of scope to keep improving and i hope they do honestly so it is not just mclaren and ferrari winning races but BMW too.

Other than an unlikely victory perhaps this season if mechanical failures or crashes happen at ferrari and mclaren, i don't think they can win perhaps until next season. But Nick has shown he has the speed, and can also make a move on track, so yes he will win races if the car is quick enough next year and Kubica will also be a good chance. Good luck to him.
    Michael Schumacher - the most succesful driver in formula 1 history - ROBERT KUBICA!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    On the contrary the members of the more critical group have highlighted that Nick is unspectacular, being never able to put in one incredible performance and therefore drives "consistently mediocrly". He is also said to be 'too soft' to become a serious title contender and he hasn't risen into a top team, because he just isn't good enough.

Now the 2007 season has probably encouraged Heidfeld supporters as Nick has driven closer to the top than ever before. So the question in the title of the thread is more directed to the German's long-time doubters to who Heidfeld might still look unspectacular as he drives consistently in fourth place, but hardly manages higher than that.
    Historically, there are four top teams. Historically, one or two get it right in any given year. Historically, there are very few winners outside of those teams. Historically there are few repeat winners outside of those top teams when the do eek out a win. One not only has to be in a top team, but be there during a year where they get it right. Just a few months ago there were knowledgeable people in the sport speculating Alonso surely had to be regretting his decision to leave Renault for all all teams, McLaren! Of course that notion sounds absurd today!

One doesn't get into F1 these days and expect to win in even several years. History shows that doesn't happen. Sauber and the BMW folks have been around F1 long enough to know the odds, to see Toyota, Honda, and all the others humiliate themselves, to spend years clawing their way up and still fall short of the big four.

Sauber has never been a top team, but with four consecutive fourth place finishes they have lost to only McLaren and Ferrari. They are in third place in the constructor's championship and their two drivers, neither a superstar, are in 5th and 6th place in the WDC. How could that not be considered successful beyond their wildest hope? We're only four races into the season and Sauber BMW is doing great..

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    If the BMW make a really competitive car, Nick Heidfeld could win a race or two, but a championship - I am not sure, we must wait and see if there'd be an opportunity.
    Formula 1

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Yes, He is one of my favourites this year actually. He has been quicker than Highly rated Kubica most of the year and would still be in quite a good championship position if the lollypop man didn't have a brain-fade.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have to admit, Nick is quick but IMO is also true he's 'to soft' to become WDC.

I agree he's quicker than Kubica this year, but we have to remember Barcelona was RKs 10th race while NHs 124th. But is also true that LH is faster than FA

At the end NH had gearbox problem. I wonder if guys whos named RK a gearbox breaker will say it now about NH ;P

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nick is fast but he will not become WDC.Kubica now is only driving a car but after 2-3 GP's he will start really racing and shows what he can do.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    He's never had a car that can fight in a WDC so we will never know.

He's been in midfield teams for too long, just like Fisi. And like Fisi, he might not have the hunger to fight over a WDC season.

Definitely deserves to win races though.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont hiedfeld is to soft to be a champion! You only have to look at he past performances.

Like in 2004 in the Jordan when he was hounding Fisi in Auz and then the next race at sepang showing his worth against the Toyotas and Jags when the Jordan had no right to be there.

Then in 2005 in Auz when he showed he wasnt guna be pushed over by Schumy,and in Moaco the same year with his inspried move on Alonso.

Bahrain last year when did the really good overtaking manover on DC at Tuurn 1 and drove DC of the track to make show he kept the place, and in Hungry last year with another battle with schumy.

I dont think is that he is soft but that he's just quite. At the end of the day he gets down to the job at hand instead of making comments about anyone else etc laile moat of the over drivers do. Remeber Eddie Jordan and Sam Michales saying when he was at their repective teams that he is one of the most techincal drivers on the grid and managed to find solutions to problems with the cars that Jordan's and William's past drivers couldnt solve. And when you think that the past drivers in those teams included Fisi, Ralf Schumacher and JP Montoya is says alot!

I think Hiedfeld will do well thisseason. he was on for a good result before all the issues in the race yesterday. Mario Thiessen really treasures his input into the team aswell which bolds well for the future. Also it helps having such a good organisation like BMW running the team. In just two years they have turned round the old sauber team, smething which BAR/Honda have nearly speant a decade doing!!